JDMCITY.COM

JDMCITY.COM (http://www.jdmcity.com/index.php)
-   Interior Design (http://www.jdmcity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Wet sanding (http://www.jdmcity.com/showthread.php?t=22983)

integrals 06/26/2012 06:05 AM

Wet sanding

Hey guys I just finished up painting my car and am about to start sanding clear coat and I want to get a little more info on it to make sure I don't do sOmethong the wrong way. So my questions are do you guys run a hose on the car the whole time or just dump the paper in a bucket , how much do you spend on each panel and how do you know your good on thAt panel. Thank you for your help

XCLUZIVEAUTOWRKZ 06/26/2012 03:35 PM

Re: Wet sanding

Quote:

Originally Posted by integrals (Post 293905)
Hey guys I just finished up painting my car and am about to start sanding clear coat and I want to get a little more info on it to make sure I don't do sOmethong the wrong way. So my questions are do you guys run a hose on the car the whole time or just dump the paper in a bucket , how much do you spend on each panel and how do you know your good on thAt panel. Thank you for your help

easiest and fastest way is with a DA and a spray bottle 1200, 1500, 3000 trizac pads. and will buf out REAALLLL NICE :teeth::thumbsup:

just be very carefull around edges and body lines until you are real comfortable with it.

Pancho 06/26/2012 07:10 PM

How many coats of clear you put on it?? Sanding clear with water should make it kinda foamy.. thats when you know your done with that area

XCLUZIVEAUTOWRKZ 06/27/2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pancho (Post 293978)
How many coats of clear you put on it?? Sanding clear with water should make it kinda foamy.. thats when you know your done with that area

doesnt necessarily mean your done, your done when you get it as flat as you want it. it will foam up way before you get all the orange peel out.. and the 3000 grit trizac pads will foam up the whole time your sanding.

austing64 06/27/2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCLUZIVEAUTOWRKZ (Post 294024)
doesnt necessarily mean your done, your done when you get it as flat as you want it. it will foam up way before you get all the orange peel out.. and the 3000 grit trizac pads will foam up the whole time your sanding.

he's right. just do like exclusive said and it be good just watch edges with the 1200 and 1500. the 3000 you can sand for awhile before it hurts anything 3000 is almost like a pre-buff on the 1500

integrals 07/03/2012 05:46 PM

i have about 3 or 4 good coats on and alright what do you mean by foamy ive heard it will look dull/ very blurry after you do it then once you buff it will turn shiny again

Pancho 07/03/2012 06:53 PM

Yea it will turn very dull.. once its all like that.. you ready to buff

integrals 07/03/2012 09:52 PM

alright i was getting worried ha thanks man

Pancho 07/03/2012 11:55 PM

You couldve also put some rubbing compound on a rag and rub it around there just to make sure:thumbsup:

Bmwz389 07/05/2012 08:20 AM

If you want it to turn out straight as it can be, you need to block it, not use a dual action sander. You can put all kinds of dips and waves in the body panels with a DA.

Blocking is the only way to go.

I did 4 rounds of block sanding the finish coat on my 87 Monte and she came out straight as an arrow. Of course, I had 400 hours of body time in it by the time it was all said and done lol.

- Brandon

Pancho 07/05/2012 11:37 AM

I would say blocking is for primer.. thats where you want to get it straight as possible.. clear coat is not meant to fix any blocking imperfections.. and your using 1500-3000 grit paper so its not gonna dig too much if your moving it around with low air pressure

XCLUZIVEAUTOWRKZ 07/05/2012 11:46 AM

blocking is for primer??? blocking is for everything if you want the reflection like glass.( you just use a different kind of block for wet sanding clear). which is is usually for show cars AND which is why i recommended the DA ,but i guess your the pro here.. lol

listen to mr pancho..

Pancho 07/05/2012 02:17 PM

i would use the DA also.. but i guess im done here.. good luck on your car:bye::cheers::thumbsup: