JDMCITY.COM

JDMCITY.COM (http://www.jdmcity.com/index.php)
-   News/Updates/FAQ (http://www.jdmcity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   12/21/2010 - Marketplace Update (http://www.jdmcity.com/showthread.php?t=15576)

HANDA 12/21/2010 06:56 PM

12/21/2010 - Marketplace Update

Hi everyone,

First, thank you everyone for making this a successful year on JDMCITY.COM. With some update requests and to assist our moderators, we have decided to add a bit more guidelines to follow in the Classifieds (Marketplace) Section, as follows:
  • Thread posting is restricted to vendors and/or members with 25+ posts AND has been registered here for more than 30+ days. Others can only reply to threads.
  • Bumping threads are still allowed. However, please refrain from bumping more than once a day, or if applicable, at all.

All rules and guidelines are subject to change without notice. Please give us some feedback or ask general questions.

Thank you, and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Best Wishes,
Han
Admin

importsusa 12/21/2010 09:13 PM

Re: 12/21/2010 - Marketplace Update

All sounds great so far..............now on the thread bumping, it is getting frustrating to maintain our threads for sale on top. I understand it has to be fair for everyone but seems really frustrating having to see your thread alllll the way at the bottom when you might have just posted it today. Is there any way possible the threads can be bumped ONCE and make them inaccessible until the following day.

This would kinda give some of us a chance to get the stuff seen.............I know I went bump/TTT crazy recently but it was annoying to see 60 other threads on top. This would give folks a chance to keep it current and if someone wants what you got they can use PM's for it.....maybe set it up with a time stamp so the thread is not able to get bumped until the next following day at the time it was last done.

Just a suggestion.............not sure how well it would work.

ALSOOOOO, is there maybe a way to have a FOR SALE FILL IN THE BLANKS FORM...............This way I don't have to see JOe, BILL, GARRETT or ANDREW having to close down stuff because of insufficient information. Maybe make it so that if you want to post something for sale you must have all Applicable information and a picture HAS to be submitted in order for the thread to be started. The form would only work in the FOR SALE SECTIONS ONLY.

Again, maybe I am getting too High Tech on this but I feel as if the forum needs more guidelines FORCED on members, rather then the typical POST PICS OR I'LL CLOSE YOUR THREAD...........seems fun but gets annoying to see the same shit over and over.:thumbsup:

HANDA 12/22/2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by importsusa (Post 208650)
Is there any way possible the threads can be bumped ONCE and make them inaccessible until the following day.

I wish for this feature, but it is not possible with what vBulletin has. There is a spam filter that may work, but it affects all users and all forums, not specified ones.

Quote:

ALSOOOOO, is there maybe a way to have a FOR SALE FILL IN THE BLANKS FORM...............This way I don't have to see JOe, BILL, GARRETT or ANDREW having to close down stuff because of insufficient information. Maybe make it so that if you want to post something for sale you must have all Applicable information and a picture HAS to be submitted in order for the thread to be started. The form would only work in the FOR SALE SECTIONS ONLY.
Again, this is a feature that vBulletin does not have. A form like this would require something outside of the forum's programming. We can use the approval process where any thread will go through our moderators for approval before going live. But you can see where this is going--moderators will too busy for this kind of thing. I may suggest having a sticky on top with an example or a list of what to put in a post in the forums. It is an inconvenience, but a search can suffice on what people are looking for as well.

Let me know if you have any more suggestions, questions, comments.:thumbsup:

importsusa 12/23/2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handa (Post 208750)
I wish for this feature, but it is not possible with what vBulletin has. There is a spam filter that may work, but it affects all users and all forums, not specified ones.

Again, this is a feature that vBulletin does not have. A form like this would require something outside of the forum's programming. We can use the approval process where any thread will go through our moderators for approval before going live. But you can see where this is going--moderators will too busy for this kind of thing. I may suggest having a sticky on top with an example or a list of what to put in a post in the forums. It is an inconvenience, but a search can suffice on what people are looking for as well.

Let me know if you have any more suggestions, questions, comments.:thumbsup:

Very well understood.......I forgot vBulletin was limited and I wouldn't like it if the filter affected all the other parts of the forum. Do you think they will ever update their stuff and maybe add these features, or are they available but expensive??

The approval process through mods would definately put strain on them.....and would be annoying and hell. I knoe Garrett did a thread about getting this in a presentable format, but notice that a lot of members (new mostly and some old) either don't know what a sticky is or are just lazy. :hithead:

Tommy 12/24/2010 04:16 PM

Not bashing on your rules, I personally think it's a decent idea, but this seems like it's
going to limit the site a bit more.. I know members from Honda-tech that have made an
account on here just to post their car on here, which I like because I hate dealing with
Honda-tech's site. Users should still be required to post contact info pictures ect. But
maybe knock the post count down to around 25 just so more members can post
something for sale.. This is just my opinion and everybody is intilted to their own
opinion. :cheers:

HANDA 12/24/2010 05:30 PM

I agree. I am still in the experiment stage of this. We'll see how it goes.:cheers:

importsusa 12/24/2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy (Post 208940)
Not bashing on your rules, I personally think it's a decent idea, but this seems like it's
going to limit the site a bit more.. I know members from Honda-tech that have made an
account on here just to post their car on here, which I like because I hate dealing with
Honda-tech's site. Users should still be required to post contact info pictures ect. But
maybe knock the post count down to around 25 just so more members can post
something for sale.. This is just my opinion and everybody is intilted to their own
opinion. :cheers:

I see your point as well Tommy but by limiting this it will make it much easier for new members not to get their threads closed, or us having to ask 100 questions about the items being sold.

I see this as a way to make the site more our own, rather then have it be taken over by 15 year old kids with hormone problems......lol Don't know if you noticed but most of the time when people post things for sale right when they join, they never take the time to either introduce themselves OR read any of the rules. Most just go straight to the sale part and you don't hear from them ever again. Same goes for Honda Tech guys that have dedicated some time to that site but just want to jump in here to sell their stuff and go. They want the quick buck without the commitment and doesn't seem fair to me for everyone else who have been here a long time.

In my opinion..... if you want to explore your hobby for cars more, if you want to be a part of a crew of people who love cars and have the "hookups" that some of the business's here are giving to some of the members...........sign up, stick around, follow the rules and stick to your commitment!!!

Here is a better way to put it..........Handa is the Brain and body of this site...........we are what keeps it alive, without our commitment.........this "body" dies!!!:cool::thumbsup:

Tommy 12/24/2010 09:00 PM

I completely agree with you! And handa I'm glad you experimenting with new ideas just hope the site keeps the originality that it has now.

importsusa 12/24/2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy (Post 208975)
I completely agree with you! And handa I'm glad you experimenting with new ideas just hope the site keeps the originality that it has now.

ha ha ha....just what I was talking about up top Tommy........This was on the intro section....LOL

http://www.jdmcity.com/showthread.ph...983#post208983

Tommy 12/25/2010 12:21 AM

I know, I just saw that... not helping my opinion very much!! Lol :hithead:

BILLisJDM!!! 01/02/2011 11:59 AM

I got my post count up to 50! and it still will not let me post in the for sale section!

Tommy 01/03/2011 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILLisJDM!!! (Post 209814)
I got my post count up to 50! and it still will not let me post in the for sale section!

Not accusing bill of doing it, but this might also cause post whoring and needlessly bumping of people's threads also.

86nissanZ 01/04/2011 09:13 PM

I think the amount of post should be lowered just a little bit, Ive been around here for a while but i don't post alot. but when I sell stuff I like to post it on here sense this is more of a local crowd. Just feel that there is more people out there that don't post a lot but have been on here for a while

booey13 02/05/2011 10:44 PM

I agree with lowering the required post count. I've been on this forum for almost two years and only have 27 posts. I'm on here avidly I just don't feel the need to bs like said 15 year olds. I was wanting to post in the for sale section but it looks like I'll have to wait another two years...or post in irrelevant threads which will not be tolerated. :sad: not hating just saying that there may be others out there in the same spot as me.

TigerStyle 02/06/2011 12:34 AM

I feel like the post count requirement should be absolved, and it should be based purely on how long you have been a member. This would get rid of the post whoring concern and allow users who have been around for a long time, but do not post avidly, the ability to sell their items.

Bill 02/06/2011 07:58 AM

it wont be absolved the big reason for this is because of spam bots and people who join and post stuff for sell and thats it and i hope liverpool win today lol

EM1San 02/06/2011 10:04 AM

I agree with TigerStyle. It is unfair to those who've been around for awhile but don't post, or at least post where it doesn't count.

booey13 02/06/2011 02:17 PM

I'm on several other forums and this is the only one that requires a post count to post in a fs section. Most of them just want a general introduction in the new members area before you post anywhere else. That's why there are moderators...to weed out spam, scam, and know it all punks who start forum drama. Instead you are hankering other members from posting because you don't want to deal with some of the drawbacks that every other forum has. *shrugs* jus sayin'.

booey13 02/06/2011 02:23 PM

As for bumping fs threads, idk if there is a way for you to limit it, but you could post a limit in the rules/guidelines (something like a two bump limit) and if they go over that then lock it up.

HANDA 02/06/2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booey13 (Post 214893)
I'm on several other forums and this is the only one that requires a post count to post in a fs section. Most of them just want a general introduction in the new members area before you post anywhere else. That's why there are moderators...to weed out spam, scam, and know it all punks who start forum drama. Instead you are hankering other members from posting because you don't want to deal with some of the drawbacks that every other forum has. *shrugs* jus sayin'.

I see where you are coming from. I appreciate feedback. It appears this rule is disappointing members below 50 posts, while making it easier for moderators here. I am still debating whether to remove this rule.

More feedback are welcome. I want to see what everyone thinks about this.:thumbsup:

one_slow_ej 02/06/2011 05:22 PM

i think the 50 post rule is kinda high myself.. I dont post tons of stuff and i know my first fifty post all came from me selling stuff on here. I can understand tho if it is the only way to avoid spam...

Alavelle12 02/06/2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_slow_ej (Post 214928)
i think the 50 post rule is kinda high myself.. I dont post tons of stuff and i know my first fifty post all came from me selling stuff on here. I can understand tho if it is the only way to avoid spam...

I agree too. Maybe it should be jus lowered a little. Vice been a member here for a little while now and stool can't start threads in those sections. I'm tryin to not jus do pointless bumps and posts, so it takes forever to get to 50. But I understand with all the spam that could happen.

HANDA 02/06/2011 07:01 PM

25+ posts is in affect. :thumbsup:

Alavelle12 02/06/2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handa (Post 214942)
25+ posts is in affect. :thumbsup:

Awesome! Thank you:teeth::thumbsup:

booey13 02/06/2011 08:52 PM

:thumbsup: