JDMCITY.COM

JDMCITY.COM (http://www.jdmcity.com/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (DIY) (http://www.jdmcity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   VHT NITESHADE Removal? (http://www.jdmcity.com/showthread.php?t=13704)

iMaTThew515 08/18/2010 09:58 PM

VHT NITESHADE Removal?

i decided to spray my clear corner lights with VHT Nite shade spray and now there beginning to look like sh*t!..anyone know how to get this stuff off??..ive heard engine degreaser works?

ChunKy 08/19/2010 07:02 PM

Re: VHT NITESHADE Removal?

not sure but maybe paint stripper? but might eat the housing its self tho. hmm last solution is wetsand it off and use some plastic-x to polish it or sand/clear coat it.

importsusa 08/19/2010 09:06 PM

Step 1: After you have removed the tail lights from your vehicle use one of the microfiber towels to wipe down any dust, dirt or water spots off your tails before applying lacquer thinner.

Step 2:
Take a clean microfiber towel and wrap it around your index and middle finger like such.

Step 3: Apply a small amount of the lacquer thinner onto the microfiber towel and work it into a circular motion on the tail light. When you start to feel resistance between the towel and the tail light, apply more thinner until you have completed the entire tail light.

Step 4: After you have completed removing the tinted surface from the taillights take your polisher/buffer and apply a small amount of 3M Rubbing Compound to the surface of your taillights. Turn on the machine and slowly work it into the lights. Allow time to dry (5 minutes) and remove with a clean microfiber towel. Complete this step at least three more times, for a total of 4 coats.

Step 5: Take your polisher/buffer and apply a small amount of Meguiar’s Plast-X to the surface of your taillights. Turn on the machine and slowly work it into the lights. Allow time to dry (5 minutes) and remove with a clean microfiber towel. Complete this step at least three more times, for a total of 4 coats.

Step 6: Take your polisher/buffer and apply a small amount of wax to the surface of your taillights. Turn on the machine and slowly work it into the lights. Allow time to dry (5 minutes) and remove with a clean microfiber towel. Complete this step at least three more times, for a total of 4 coats.

Step 7: Wipe down your taillights really well using a clean microfiber towel and reinstall them back onto your vehicle using the same thread posted above in “Step 1”.

Important information:

- If you have quite a few cuts on your hands or fingers from everyday activities like me, you may want to wear plastic gloves or surgical gloves. When the thinner gets in your cuts, it burns.

- It is VERY important that when applying the thinner not to get any of it on the plastic mounting tabs of the tail light. If this does occur, you may notice some discoloration (not a big deal) but if you get the thinner and plastic in contact numerous times….it could begin cracking apart or even break altogether.

VERY LAST STEP: TEST THINGS ON OTHERS PARTS NOT MOUNTED ON VEHICLE OR JUST DON'T DO THIS AT ALL....ITS NOT LEGAL ANYWAYS MATTHEW!!!:teeth:

iMaTThew515 08/19/2010 11:01 PM

DAMN!..should have checked this sooner:roflmao:..i sanded the FAWK! outta them today and polished:teeth:..thanks rodnie:thumbsup::cheers:..

iMaTThew515 09/29/2011 10:00 AM

Thought id update this:teeth: I did this awhile back and found out and confirmed that brake fluid work really good:thumbsup: but depending on how thick you layed it down, its going ot take sometime:thumbsdown: well worth it though because what ever you sprayed will be back to what it used to be:thumbsup: then after all that Steps 5-7 from Rodnies reply is a good way to clean them up a bit more:thumbsup:

luis31 09/30/2011 10:50 AM

Something else that works really well is acetone.

XCLUZIVEAUTOWRKZ 09/30/2011 11:09 AM

brake cleaner in a spray can is the fastest.. just gota make sure u rinse it off asap or it will discolor the plastic

iMaTThew515 10/03/2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luis31 (Post 251429)
Something else that works really well is acetone.

x2:thumbsup:

iMaTThew515 10/03/2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCLUZIVEAUTOWRKZ (Post 251431)
brake cleaner in a spray can is the fastest.. just gota make sure u rinse it off asap or it will discolor the plastic

yea that happened to me with another attempt to get that stuff off:explode: totalled my corner:hithead:

canyonsnextstar 05/06/2012 02:49 PM

Brake cleaner ftw

Civic9390 05/18/2012 12:26 AM

I Just used some 3m scotch brite pad with water in a bucket and some lens/plastic polish for the end shine. :cheers:

integrals 05/18/2012 12:40 PM

i just did mine this weekend and i used paint stripper just wash it off right after putting it on so it doesnt eat the plastic or harm it then wet sand it i also used some clear coat to make it nice and shiny since mine has a few little cracks in it

austing64 05/22/2012 04:21 PM

personally ive had the best luck with just sanding it all off with like 1000 grit and stepping it down to a buffing grit.

Bmwz389 05/22/2012 05:26 PM

Yeah when I used to work in a body shop we used thinner on alot of stuff. But never headlights or tails. It always ate and melted the plasics. Normally when people spray that spray tint, they never prep the lense to hold the material anyways, so buffing with a variable speed will take that shit right off. It's how I cleaned up 97% of light housings.

Anything else I wetsanded on da sander with 1000-2000 on a soft backing pad to avoid cutting the lense.

And thinner usually eats right through rubber gloves ;) And you get really, and I mean REALLY high off that shit if it's not ventilated lol.

Be careful with thinner, bestfriend/worst enemy type substance.

- Brandon

VinylWorx 05/31/2012 12:33 PM

I have used the 3m headlight Sanding kit and if u follow the directions it will take it off and look good

KingCobra600 07/21/2012 10:58 PM

Aircraft remover?:cheers: