JDMCITY.COM

JDMCITY.COM (http://www.jdmcity.com/index.php)
-   Drag/AutoX/Road Course Racing (http://www.jdmcity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   2011 DMVR SCCA SOLO SCHEDULE (http://www.jdmcity.com/showthread.php?t=16243)

gabebauman 02/11/2011 08:54 AM

2011 DMVR SCCA SOLO SCHEDULE

This list is not complete at the moment...but should give you an idea of the upcoming spring event dates.

March 6 - Drivers Meeting - Tavern II - West Des Moines - 1 pm

March 20 - First Solo Event - Iowa State Fairgrounds, (Great Site For Beginners!)
April 03 - DMACC, (Ankeny Campus)
April 10 - Adventureland, (Two Big Lots...Tons'O'Fun!)
May 1 - ChumpCar at Iowa Speedway - come watch for free...it's awesome...I went last year and helped in the pits.
May 15 - Oskaloosa Airport, (A combination of two WWII runways, last year's course was a mile long!)
May 22 - Iowa Challenge in Waterloo Dog Track
May 27-30 Pro-Solo and National Tour - Lincoln, NE
June 12 - Iowa Speedway (Infield, we've never done a solo event inside the oval...should be interesting!)
June 26 - Oskaloosa Airport, (Most likely just one runway...but who knows what John Jacobs can finagle out of the airport staff.)
July 24 - TBA
Setptember 18 - Iowa Speedway (One of our biggest event locations...always a blast!)
October 16 - Adventureland, (Two Big Lots...Tons'O'Fun!)

If you have any questions, post here or pm me. I know a lot of you tell me each year that you'd really like to try this out...don't be shy...you'll have a great time...if you just come get your feet wet.

ChunKy 02/11/2011 09:41 PM

Re: 2011 DMVR SCCA SOLO SCHEDULE

get out and try it out! its alot fun, even from 1 event i attended. im addicted! still trying my best to make it out every event this year, my work schedule doesn't like me getting off on sundays..

JDMxTAi 02/12/2011 02:58 AM

Wish my current car didn't have a bad rod so I could compete in the First Solo Event.
But I will have a new car for the May events :thumbsup::teeth:

gabebauman 02/12/2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMxTAi (Post 215875)
Wish my current car didn't have a bad rod so I could compete in the First Solo Event.
But I will have a new car for the May events :thumbsup::teeth:

Try and make it to one of the first two events atleast...and I'll give you a few ride-a-longs.

LowNsloEJ6 02/12/2011 12:29 PM

Man I wont be able to participate till the april 10th one. Hopefully ill be able to do a couple of theese this year

Pandaimpreza 02/13/2011 08:17 AM

I recently relocated so I doubt I'll make it to any events this year.

blacksheep 02/14/2011 11:34 AM

Time to change your location in your profile! :thumbsup:

Pandaimpreza 02/14/2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksheep (Post 216212)
Time to change your location in your profile! :thumbsup:

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll try to do the same if you ever get lost on course. :thumbsup:

JDM_GsR_515 02/14/2011 03:04 PM

Hoping to have free time this year on Sunday's to participate. I was hoping to have my new coilover suspension before entering. My tien springs with stock shocks needs upgrading. Shocks aren't doing so hot.

ChunKy 02/15/2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM_GsR_515 (Post 216244)
Hoping to have free time this year on Sunday's to participate. I was hoping to have my new coilover suspension before entering. My tien springs with stock shocks needs upgrading. Shocks aren't doing so hot.

just go out and have a good time! hell i had a blast even when i took my ultra slow auto integra with rediculas amount of body roll :roflmao:

really hope i can make to most of the events this year, might just take my stock ek coupe to get some seat time. 4 door would be too much power for me to handle haha

xOneSlowEk 02/15/2011 11:34 AM

Im down to come watch and take a ride along with ya gabe. shoot, i might even try it myself ha.:toothless

gabebauman 02/15/2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoniT515 (Post 216387)
Im down to come watch and take a ride along with ya gabe. shoot, i might even try it myself ha.:toothless

Just sign up for the first event. You'll have fun in your car.

blacksheep 02/15/2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandaimpreza (Post 216227)
Thanks for pointing that out! I'll try to do the same if you ever get lost on course. :thumbsup:

from Quad Cities - Man, you can see far! Impressive!

dalawoi 02/16/2011 10:57 PM

ive got a few questions about scca.

what kind of competition is it? pay and run for fun? or are you racing for something?

what do you suggest for upgraded suspension if we really wanna get into autox and scca?

JDMxTAi 02/17/2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalawoi (Post 216768)

what kind of competition is it? pay and run for fun? or are you racing for something?

what do you suggest for upgraded suspension if we really wanna get into autox and scca?

I always though getting rear -2.00 camber and front -3.00 or it was vise virsa.
And getting long torsion bar or 32mm sway bar. The longer the better.

Prez 02/17/2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalawoi (Post 216768)

It's a timed competition through a course that is set up between cones. Here is a run in my old evo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-M6s-j3tTA

They break the competition down by classes. Stock classes, light mods classes, heavy modded classes and etc. There is multiple of each as a stock Vette is not in the same stock class as a civic and etc. It's really divided up well.

Absolutely no mods are needed to your car. I've seen people in stock cars beat many of those in modded cars so just come out and learn to drive! :)

You typically get 5-6 runs and it's 30 bux, takes pretty much all day.

gabebauman 02/17/2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMxTAi (Post 216782)
I always though getting rear -2.00 camber and front -3.00 or it was vise virsa.
And getting long torsion bar or 32mm sway bar. The longer the better.

Negative Ghost Rider...Any car in stock form can be fun to drive on a solo course.

Fellas, don't worry about this mod and that mod. Bring yourself and your car to the first event at the Iowa State Fairgrounds and you will have a good time...I assure you.

importsusa 02/17/2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabebauman (Post 216815)
Fellas, don't worry about this mod and that mod. Bring yourself and your car to the first event at the Iowa State Fairgrounds and you will have a good time...I assure you.

This is exactly what I talk about to most folks...........people seem to think that these events require the same care and heavy modding as Drifting, Drag racing or even the SCCA stuff people see on the Speed channel.

Honestly I would love to see a section here on jdmcity devoted to nothing but Auto X.........All the rules posted, videos and any type of information in regards to it rather then just threads that get opened up!!

Title it AUTO X & SCCA AREA ONLY

I know we have that section on here for the events side. I think we need to pull these two away from drag racing etc. so people don't automatically assume they need to mod stuff just to get in.

Just an idea...............I love anything that deals with our hobby but real good drivers know how to drive curves and straighlines all in one!!!:teeth::thumbsup:

dalawoi 02/17/2011 11:45 AM

well i was reading into the actual scca site and i saw some pics of road coarse racing where there's like 30 or 40 actual cars racing. I was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about how to get into that? cost? i have seen cars on ebay they say are "built" for scca. and i was wondering all the work that goes into them. I always wanted to race something from dirt, go karts, to drag.. but something about road racing catches my eye

gabebauman 02/17/2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalawoi (Post 216849)
well i was reading into the actual scca site and i saw some pics of road coarse racing where there's like 30 or 40 actual cars racing. I was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about how to get into that? cost? i have seen cars on ebay they say are "built" for scca. and i was wondering all the work that goes into them. I always wanted to race something from dirt, go karts, to drag.. but something about road racing catches my eye

SCCA Wheel To Wheel = $$$$$$

dalawoi 02/17/2011 12:27 PM

i figured as all racing is. I would wonder who would sponser a car in that.

importsusa 02/17/2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalawoi (Post 216859)
i figured as all racing is. I would wonder who would sponser a car in that.

Yes, there is a guy in West Des Moines that does SCCA, teaches classes and also builds all his cars. His cars actually come directly from the Honda manufacturing plant (which means they have 000's for the VIN numbers). That means he can build it from scratch but cannot legally make it a road vehicle and if he crashes on the coarse he would need to strip the vehicle back to original state and send it back....guy is awesome!!! I got two great chances to sit down with him and talk about everything related to this and many other aspects of racing he was curious about.
I believe BUKPHAT knows who I'm talking about since he has met him as well. Gabe hit it on the nail though.........this style of racing and group requires a nice beefy wallet and most importantly (LOTS OF KNOWLEDGE). It is funny to always hear people say how they beat some guy with his turbo this and that but when they hit the road course they fall flat on their A$$. You have to go to these events with an open mind and take all YOUR traditional views of racing and throw them out the window........SCCA and Auto X classes teach you how to become a better driver in and out of the track. Most people seem to think it is all about whos got the most horsepower and who can smash down on the gas pedal harder.

Skill is something you aquire through knowledge, repetition and the will to learn more.......Gabe, Prez and the rest of the guys doing this have that!!:cool:

ChunKy 02/17/2011 01:38 PM

well explained rodnie, if you never have done it before, dont worry about mods, they wont help you a single bit. i was in same situation last year, even tho i only made to 1 event (other couple was rained out)

it looks easy when you watch but once you get behind the wheel, cones will come alot faster than you think! i dropped 8 seconds from 1st run to 3rd or 4th one :thumbsup:

small autocros track hp dont matter very much, heak, gabe's little snow ball with stock b20 was spanking all the 'high' hp sport cars haha.

btw if anyone remember that boosted 400hp 240 at newton event, damn that guy was smashing his petal hardcore but sliding all over, still got shittier time than most cars lol :roflmao::roflmao:

oh ya bring alot few bottles of cold water and sunscreen lotion, you will be standing under the sun for 6-8 hrs that day!

dalawoi 02/17/2011 06:25 PM

Yeah im interested in seeing how much it costs exactly. I've seen alot of ef's on ebay built for it. Full cage high comp motor with a nice suspension. And i've seen videos and it looks fun as hell! Its to bad I dont think there is enough sponsership dollars out there for a 17 year old :/

ChunKy 02/17/2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalawoi (Post 216928)
Yeah im interested in seeing how much it costs exactly. I've seen alot of ef's on ebay built for it. Full cage high comp motor with a nice suspension. And i've seen videos and it looks fun as hell! Its to bad I dont think there is enough sponsership dollars out there for a 17 year old :/

trust me 99% of the website cant afford to do circus racing, its not just time/fee that cost them, gotta think about tires, brake pads, maintaince. shit does break when you beat the hell out of it. it all adds up, i say prepare $2000+ a year for amature series just in maintaince and basic stuff, without blowing up your motor/trans.

seat time is first mod you need, come out to auto-x this year, its only 20-30 bucks each time, once a month. barely wear out your tires vs 5-10 laps on circus track. usually a set of sticky tires should last you more than 1 year :thumbsup: