JDMCITY.COM

JDMCITY.COM (http://www.jdmcity.com/index.php)
-   News/Updates/FAQ (http://www.jdmcity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   New things for 2013! (http://www.jdmcity.com/showthread.php?t=24631)

HANDA 12/29/2012 01:21 AM

New things for 2013!
 
Yes JDMCITY members--2013 is coming up and I want to do something new to the forum as well as anything in particular! :cool:

For 2013, I would like to make this thread dedicated to all feedbacks, suggestions, or comments you all have on the site/forum. Got any problems with the site? With the people on here? What needs changing? What needs improvement? Got a bright idea? This is the time to rant, scream your lungs out. With this, I hope to gain some insight and possibly improve the way the forum runs or operate this year. All posts will be read, so please limit your bashing to each other and getting off-topic to the minimum.

My future plans/bucket list of to-do, now that I am out o college and working in the real world:
  • In 2013, upgrade this forum to latest vBulletin license (maybe not v5, v4 seems good) ($200+). EDIT: I spoke too soon. I won't be able to get this license this year.
  • In 2013, rearrange forums a bit--add/delete/move/etc.
  • In 2013, possibly remove/add more moderators and assignments
  • In 2050, buy an Acura NSX...it's just a Honda thing I've been dreaming. :wink:

That's all I can think of for now. I want your feedback!

Thanks,
Han :cheers:

importsusa 12/29/2012 10:12 AM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
Well, I know I suggested this along with other folks (theLaser just did recently as well) but if there was some kind of a premade template that was incorporated in the for sale threads, it would likely solve a few issues. A lot of people I hate to say are SUPER lazy and don't like copying/pasting items of info....so this would help them HAVE to do it. Unfortunately I know that with vbulletin you've had things you can and absolutely cannot do....but this would be a start.
Also, not sure what features the program comes with but would be nice if new members received a short PM where it shows links to "FAQ's" so that we don't have useless threads about "why can't I post for sale items" or "why do we need a 25 post count ".

I've stated to people in the past that this isn't Craigslist and it would be nice to add to that PM something in regards to that. Let them know that this is just like other forums out there and we are all trying to keep it as a community of enthusiasts. Yes we run into a ton of issues with members or mods being too overly passionate about the forum...lol...but rules and guidelines give things structure and without them it would be constant fighting....which as we all know will never stop.

I agree with one of Luis's suggestions made awhile back which dealt with Mods closing for sale threads if no info is provided.....why? Because as many have stated, if you have time to make a thread then you have had time to prepare for it....meaning pictures have been taken, product info is on point and you are ready to put it out there. Seriously though, would you go to an interview without a resume and tell your future boss you'll give him a resume later? If people are doing shit on their phone there should be some sort of blocking done so they can take the time and do it at home......or figure out some sort of an app (like eBay has) that can help you post all for sale stuff via a phone app template.

Just a few suggestions and rants about issues I am seeing.....we need more structure and for mods to be a little more strict....not Nazi strict (lol)....just enforce rules a little more so we aren't all going off topics etc. I am sure it'll be annoying to those out there who don't like rules but hey....tough shit!

99eclipse 12/29/2012 12:14 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
All buuld threads in one section, an maybe a call out thread would b interesting,

Iowan82 12/29/2012 02:02 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by importsusa (Post 311734)
Yes we run into a ton of issues with members or mods being too overly passionate about the forum...lol...but rules and guidelines give things structure and without them it would be constant fighting....which as we all know will never stop.

I agree with this statement and you worded it well so that u didnt offend anyone. I on the other hand would have been more of a dick about it. Lol but its true some of the people on here are more "passionate" than others and can come off wrong or are just assholes i haven't had a huge roll in the community but i am on here a lot. Most of the people on here are really cool and know what there talking about. Some people though ruin it for everyone i stopped visiting this site for a while because it seemed like all it was was drama. With people calling bash vendors and stuff like that. I just think that BS can go.

Also side note a better app would be nice. And a recognition place for rides? Or a "My Garage" where people can post pictures of there rides and people can simply rate (not comment) the rides and have a "rated winner" each week or month or whenever your not feeling lazy haha:thumbsup:
Just suggestion

importsusa 12/30/2012 08:46 AM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
Something else i wanted to elaborate on deals with Deleted Threads. The mods should be able to delete a thread and issue a PM to the newbie with information I stated above. If they redo the thread or get pissy...give them a warning.....anything further they can put them on a "time out"....lol This will help unclutter the MANY threads we have about the same thing and hopefully establish a little more order. Seems people like to play that whole (I'm GOD LIKE) and try to dominate the site as if they owned it.

Also, (this is for Handa)....are you guys able to delete/ban multiple single person acounts via their IP address as opposed to what they use for their email address? answer when you can sir...no rush..lol:smile:

luis31 12/30/2012 05:39 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
I think it's pretty much beating a dead horse. I mean people don't even bother to post stuff in the right section. They think that everytime they have a question, it belongs in the general discussion thread. Even if the question could be posted in the correct area.

importsusa 12/30/2012 07:17 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by luis31 (Post 311811)
I think it's pretty much beating a dead horse. I mean people don't even bother to post stuff in the right section. They think that everytime they have a question, it belongs in the general discussion thread. Even if the question could be posted in the correct area.

Well then that is when mods should take the dead horse and dispose of it!! In other words just delete the thread, issue a pm or just move it to the right section and give the person a fair warning......if they do it again infract them and if continued give them a vacation away from here until they learn.

I mean lets be honest here.....don't we learn from out mistakes? I know a lot of people including myself make mistakes and learn to fix them. It is when people make mistakes and continue doing the same that leads to bigger problems. Do mods need to nip this in the butt quickly...yes....but on the other hand we have to be realistic here.....who can monitor this site 24/7 and fix every issue?

luis31 12/30/2012 07:26 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
It's not even about the mods doing their duty. It's about the people who make the threads using a little common sense. It's really become a rarity amongst some of the people here.

importsusa 12/30/2012 08:54 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by luis31 (Post 311814)
It's not even about the mods doing their duty. It's about the people who make the threads using a little common sense. It's really become a rarity amongst some of the people here.

Ohh trust me I know....but once the mods and us start to help clean up....I am sure these no common sense mofo's will start leaving or just finally understand that we are trying to have some structure here. People want change.....then we will start bringing it to them....just hope they can adapt!! I know you, myself and plenty of our old school forum fellas have without issues.

hatorade 12/30/2012 10:44 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
A domestic section maybe.

luis31 12/30/2012 11:03 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatorade (Post 311834)
A domestic section maybe.

Its a jdm website. I don't see the point of a domestic area personally, seeing as to how we have this

http://www.jdmcity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38

importsusa 12/30/2012 11:13 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatorade (Post 311834)
A domestic section maybe.

You only want it cause you're probably trying to get the mustang from your brother and you wanna be cooler within the site. Little do you know that you wont get it cause you already flipped a car...and I don't mean in the sense of fixing a car to re-sell....LOL ha ha. Take that you little 16 year old....

Bashing done.....on topic.....:teeth:

hatorade 12/31/2012 01:31 AM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by importsusa (Post 311839)
You only want it cause you're probably trying to get the mustang from your brother and you wanna be cooler within the site. Little do you know that you wont get it cause you already flipped a car...and I don't mean in the sense of fixing a car to re-sell....LOL ha ha. Take that you little 16 year old....

Bashing done.....on topic.....:teeth:

Wow that cut deep Rodney... Real deep... Lol I'm not 16, 17 more mature now.. Lol age is just a number just like height. :teeth: and didn't see the domestic section and no not a mustang fan. Lol

dat192 12/31/2012 01:41 AM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
Flipping cars and hitting poles kinda gay haha

HANDA 12/31/2012 01:59 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by importsusa (Post 311734)
Well, I know I suggested this along with other folks (theLaser just did recently as well) but if there was some kind of a premade template that was incorporated in the for sale threads, it would likely solve a few issues. A lot of people I hate to say are SUPER lazy and don't like copying/pasting items of info....so this would help them HAVE to do it. Unfortunately I know that with vbulletin you've had things you can and absolutely cannot do....but this would be a start.
Also, not sure what features the program comes with but would be nice if new members received a short PM where it shows links to "FAQ's" so that we don't have useless threads about "why can't I post for sale items" or "why do we need a 25 post count ".

I've stated to people in the past that this isn't Craigslist and it would be nice to add to that PM something in regards to that. Let them know that this is just like other forums out there and we are all trying to keep it as a community of enthusiasts. Yes we run into a ton of issues with members or mods being too overly passionate about the forum...lol...but rules and guidelines give things structure and without them it would be constant fighting....which as we all know will never stop.

^^I have to agree with you Rodnie. However, the problem with today's society is that people are too lazy, even more lazy than in the past, from what I've seen. I really fear for the future. Kids growing up with the Internet, Facebook, smartphones, etc.--online access on the palm of their hands and on the go. We take it for granted that we have the option to copy and paste something on the computer.

I think I've added an auto-PM to new registered users sometime early 2012. The message is as follows:

Quote:

Originally Posted by handa
Thanks for registering at JDMCITY.COM! Please take a moment to read our forum rules, guidelines, and FAQ before posting: http://www.jdmcity.com/showthread.php?t=992

If you would like to post in the Marketplace Forum, please read the rules and guidelines before posting: http://www.jdmcity.com/showthread.php?t=209

We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

All the best,
The Admin

Even with this introduction PM in place, I get PMs asking "why can't I post in this forum?", etc. This issue starts or lies within the people themselves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99eclipse (Post 311737)
All buuld threads in one section, an maybe a call out thread would b interesting,

^^ I think the Technical Forum is a bit of a gray area. I am definitely rearranging that section of the forum to optimize activity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowan82 (Post 311743)
Also side note a better app would be nice. And a recognition place for rides? Or a "My Garage" where people can post pictures of there rides and people can simply rate (not comment) the rides and have a "rated winner" each week or month or whenever your not feeling lazy haha:thumbsup:
Just suggestion

^^Yes, the "My Garage" sounds fun for the forum. Although, I would be against hosting images on the site though because there are places for that. Maybe linking to images on other sources is more reasonable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by importsusa (Post 311784)
Something else i wanted to elaborate on deals with Deleted Threads. The mods should be able to delete a thread and issue a PM to the newbie with information I stated above. If they redo the thread or get pissy...give them a warning.....anything further they can put them on a "time out"....lol This will help unclutter the MANY threads we have about the same thing and hopefully establish a little more order. Seems people like to play that whole (I'm GOD LIKE) and try to dominate the site as if they owned it.

Also, (this is for Handa)....are you guys able to delete/ban multiple single person acounts via their IP address as opposed to what they use for their email address? answer when you can sir...no rush..lol:smile:

^^The mods have been doing just this. :cool: I've seen threads closed, deleted, etc. due to people not following rules or threads getting off topic. Mods have given warnings and also infractions, and even banned users.

We are able to ban via IP addresses--also look up IP addresses and usernames that use them (e.g. the case of Nick Griffin). By banning that IP, we ban anyone using that IP address. Only admins are able to do that at the moment--I may give this privilege to moderators this 2013 and on. The problem with IP addresses is that they are ever changing. Also, people may be using this site at public places and banning IP addresses for those location would deem useless.

luis31 12/31/2012 02:23 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
How about a multi-quote option han?

The Laser 12/31/2012 02:30 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
Damn, IP bans? That seems a little harsh for a site like this. I can see a lot of mods going mad with power if you give them the ability to do this too. It would feel more of a dictatorship than a democracy, with everyone in fear of having something taken out of context and being banned for something insignificant. rx7 club already has something like that with their "man law" banning (if you even hint at the idea of GF or other hot ladies, you must provide pics of said ladies within 24 hrs, otherwise you get banned for 48 hrs). It's fucking retarded and is in no way helpful in the development of the forum as a whole.

KA7_Legend 12/31/2012 03:03 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
I dont think banning ip address will be a good idea....

Example.... my brother uses the same ip address as me and if he or i do or say something on here and get banned.... the other is automatically banned... which will never happen but just for example.

mattcossel29 01/01/2013 01:20 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KA7_Legend (Post 311883)
I dont think banning ip address will be a good idea....

Example.... my brother uses the same ip address as me and if he or i do or say something on here and get banned.... the other is automatically banned... which will never happen but just for example.

This is something that is taken into consideration before Han bans an IP address. He can also look up and see if any other members have logged in from that address. He has only done this very few times. Since I have been a mod I think I can only remember two instances.

mike03 01/06/2013 04:02 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
more smilies! just a thought :bye:

The Laser 01/06/2013 05:09 PM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike03 (Post 312268)
more smilies! just a thought :bye:

:thumbsup:

Iowan82 01/07/2013 02:38 AM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
Is there anyway to make it more clear to people where to post? or like a Q&A as to where to post certain things like for sale or certain build threads so on and so forth? Ik there are plenty of people that would help out if someone didn't know where to post. Just food for thought.

dalawoi 01/07/2013 02:58 AM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
Make it so comments on the for sale section dont bump up your post count. And put all new members on a 30 day probationary period from posting in for sale. Should keep the for sale section less cluttered and less random bumps. Its worked on dsmtuners. Even tho you cant even comment on there for sale sections. Just an idea should weed out the people that just bump 25 2 year old posts in 2 hours to post there vehicle for sale in the wrong section.

dalawoi 01/07/2013 03:02 AM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
You dont have to block commenting on for sale sections just make it so it doesnt affect your post count. Just to make myself clear.

Pancho 01/07/2013 09:01 AM

Re: New things for 2013!
 
How bout if you limit the number of posts noobs can post per day.. lets say 4-5.. they can still get their post count up, but not within 2 hours..


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.