JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Manufacturer Forum > Honda/Acura Forum > Honda CRX/Civic/Del Sol

Old 05/19/2013, 11:03 PM   #1
Cooksey89
JDM Soldier

Default need help with a starting issue

I'm runnimg out of options with my 88 civic so I'm turning to the forums. Ok first off I habe power to everything but when I turn key to the start position all I hear is the fuel pump. I've checked fuses had the starter checked and from what I can c and bn told it all checks out. Now I can jump the starter but don't wanna fry it so plz if anyone has anything on this plz help I wanna drive my car b4 I make the mistake of selling it and find out it was something so dumb that it wasn't even funny.... p.s there is no neutral safety switch nor wires for one

JDM ZC
Old 05/20/2013, 08:48 AM   #2
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

Default Re: need help with a starting issue

Does it run after you jump the starter?

If it does all I can really think of is you missed a fuse, the clutch switch is bad (or you said you didn't have one so you might need one), ignition switch is bad, the signal wire running to the starter is disconnected somewhere or cut.

If you're looking for a quick easy work around to dealing with chasing down the mess of figuring it out. This of course is if when you jump your starter the car starts up. You can install a simple push button for your starter which is incredibly easy to wire up. Run a wire from 12v power source (battery or accessory depending on if you care about the car being able to crank without the key or not.) If you don't mind it cranking without the key just go direct from the battery, if you don't want it to be able to crank unless the key is turned get power from an accessory power wire such as the radio. You'll run that to any push button of your choice which you can pick up at your local parts store, radioshack, or any place that sells buttons for that matter. From there you'll run a wire that you'll need to crimp a spade terminal on the end and it'll plug right onto the starter. To be safe with it since these aren't exactly the greatest terminals in the world I would recommend getting one with a protective shield over it or if you get an all metal one use shrink rap to make your own shield. Then you'll want to tape off the factory starter signal wire to prevent it from ever grounding.

example of spade terminal connector.

Old 05/20/2013, 09:25 AM   #3
The Laser
JDM King

i dont know civics, but on my miata, it wont do anything if the clutch pedal switch is disconnected. if you also go the push-button route, just save the headache and go through the accessory source. all the times ive run through a constant power source it would drain the battery if you let it sit for 2 days.

"does this have V-tec? i bet it has V-tec"
"V-tec is for fags. This has boost"
Old 05/20/2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Cooksey89
JDM Soldier

that's what I been contemplating doing I don't really want to but might have to tried a switch but my stupid ass put a fuse in it for protection and keep blowing the fuse that was just to c if it would kick and it kicks once every time but blows fuse maybe too small of a gauged wire?

JDM ZC
Old 05/20/2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Cooksey89
JDM Soldier

had issues getting the alternator in got it now just gotta find the top mount and its done then figure out the starting thing

JDM ZC
Old 05/20/2013, 10:55 AM   #6
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

You've definitely got a short of some sort going on if it pops a fuse right away every time you go to crank it. There's no way it's too small of a wire because there isn't really any major electrical load going on, think of it like a remote wire for an amp. It's simply to send a signal to it that activates a switch in the starter.

Old 05/20/2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Cooksey89
JDM Soldier

so maybe even though the starter is new solenoid is still bad perhaps idk but now I need the adjust bracket for the alternator and I'm gonna wire a push button to the starter this evening

JDM ZC
Old 05/20/2013, 11:04 AM   #8
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

New starter or not, doesn't matter. The signal wire that runs from your ignition switch to your starter is grounded out somewhere and that's what your problem is. You will probably want to find where it's grounding out at because shit like that can cause some serious problems. If you don't want to find the short because you don't want to cut into your loom and trace the wire, there is an alternate method. Cut out the wire on both ends of the loom and run a new wire outside the loom, or do the push button.

Old 05/20/2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Cooksey89
JDM Soldier

yeah I think I'm gonna do the push button idea already have everything to run it get bolts for the alternator and b done hopefully

JDM ZC
Old 05/22/2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Cooksey89
JDM Soldier

update into my situation I wired a push button off of the acc of the stereo now starter clicks so issue solved hopefully just need an alternator belt now

JDM ZC
Old 05/23/2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Cooksey89
JDM Soldier

thanks for the help gentlemen

JDM ZC
Old 05/23/2013, 09:56 AM   #12
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

Glad to hear it worked out for ya

Old 05/25/2013, 09:07 PM   #13
Cooksey89
JDM Soldier

little more help car now starts but is running like shit if u press the gas it dies and is idle at like 250 tops. now idk where to begin tried the tps checked hoses and such and nothing still does It mind it is zc swapped and I did get a cod 20 which is electric load code and can smell raw fuel while it runs also

JDM ZC
Old 05/28/2013, 08:40 AM   #14
Cooksey89
JDM Soldier

well found all the issues with it hats off it runs just needs a head gasket really bad and as for the starting issue it will make ya laugh it was a lose ground wire and as for the chugging it was the wrong ecu

JDM ZC