JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Audio/Security/Video

Old 12/19/2012, 02:53 PM   #1
mike03
JDM King

Default Sound system help??

I am considering doing a single 10" sub with a mono amplifier in my coupe.

I need help in what could be the best match for my car. What is preferable, SVC or DVC? And what is the best wattage i need for each the sub and amplifier??

DD: 00' Civic Ex

94' Honda Civic Ex - sold
Old 12/20/2012, 04:33 PM   #2
mike03
JDM King

Default Re: Sound system help??

Well, people on this site are bogus as f*ck...

Old 01/02/2013, 12:33 PM   #3
iMaTThew515
JDM Knight

If this hasn't been solved yet......

From what your asking it really depends on how hard you want to "bump" lol. If you really want to blow your doors off and be "that guy" in traffic I'd recommend a DVC sub with a ported box

Old 01/02/2013, 06:33 PM   #4
mike03
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMaTThew515 View Post
If this hasn't been solved yet......

From what your asking it really depends on how hard you want to "bump" lol. If you really want to blow your doors off and be "that guy" in traffic I'd recommend a DVC sub with a ported box
not loud at all. just a nice thump that goes with my speakers. I hate the rattle.

I'm looking at a sealed 10" box, and all my components are Pioneers. I'm not sure how to gather the right/perfect setup. just not sure if a dvc or svc in a mono amp? and what kind of wattage I should be using?

Thanks for your help

Old 01/07/2013, 11:42 PM   #5
onebad636
JDM Soldier

i'm running an elemental designs 11o.V2 with a Nine.2x (400watts) in my EM1, gain turned down a hair and the bass at 0 (but tuned on the HU). i have used sound deadener in the entire car, but there is still a slight rattle from the trunk, its just something thats gonna happen. anything over 300 is going to be plenty for a civic, i'm also old and dont like my bass being heard from a block away. just my two cents.

Old 01/08/2013, 12:30 AM   #6
mike03
JDM King

It's pretty annoying hearing the sub from blocks IMO.

Nothing to crazy for me. Just a nice setup I'm trying to run. Any suggestions in what is the best wattage I should run for an amplifier and subwoofer? And coils for sub?

Thanks!

Old 01/08/2013, 09:24 PM   #7
123brancamp
JDM Fan

i got the polk dxi 10" dvc and it about 500 watts max and 250 rms and it will bump hard if that's what i want for the song or it can be just suddle where it adds that extra little bit. i listen to all types of music from rap to country and it does just fine

Old 01/23/2013, 02:40 PM   #8
onebad636
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike03 View Post
It's pretty annoying hearing the sub from blocks IMO.

Nothing to crazy for me. Just a nice setup I'm trying to run. Any suggestions in what is the best wattage I should run for an amplifier and subwoofer? And coils for sub?

Thanks!
did you ever decide what to run? i remember you PM'ing me about my enclosure, but never ended up hearing back from you. are you still looking for something?

Old 01/23/2013, 04:34 PM   #9
mike03
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad636 View Post
did you ever decide what to run? i remember you PM'ing me about my enclosure, but never ended up hearing back from you. are you still looking for something?
I like your encloser box and I'd fit on mine. But I'm trying to do all pioneer.

I still haven't figured what I should be running as power wise. There is a set that I have an eye on

Old 02/14/2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Bmwz389
JDM Soldier

Did you ever decide on a solution?

I used to build sound systems for customers and have ran many in my own vehicles.

When talking about Voice Coils - either SVC or DVC, the main difference in itself is the amount of wiring sequences you can have.

Think of it this way, with a SVC at 4 Ohms, you only have an option to run 4 Ohms. This would require you to have an amplifier that runs 4 Ohm output on a single channel, or a 2 channel at 8 ohms per channel. That's where monoblocks really come into play. HOWEVER, Mono (Class D) can be used in any case as long as they are wired in succession on one channel, matching the specifications of the subwoofer.

Take DVC. You've got a single DVC subwoffer at 4 ohms. You can either bridge or wire in parallel to obtain either 2 Ohm or 8 Ohm. This will give you a range of options as far as amplifier selection.

I've always ran DVC when running more than one subwoofer, as a lot of high power amplifiers are 1 Ohm stable. Two 2 Ohm subwoofers can wire into 1 Ohm.

There is no difference in power OUTPUT between DVC and SVC, if they are the same subwoofer. Only difference is output wiring.

If I were you, I'd stick with a Mono D Class, around 4 Ohms with a SVC sub, no need to complicate a basic setup.

As far as opinions on brand, i always favor Kicker. Pioneer has gotten better. Alpine is still on par with what they used to be, albeit get their higher end systems.

Anything else, just let me know!

- Brandon

Last edited by Bmwz389; 02/14/2013 at 05:15 PM.

I want your DA parts! LS/V high compression build in progress.
Old 02/19/2013, 05:35 PM   #11
cdcEGcivic
JDM Lover

bro u gotta leave that shit out. weight stage cuzzzz' lmao just kiddin. hell im pullin the 10 inch alpine outta my foxbody and puttin it in my teg. why the hell not! lol what did ya end up going with?

Old 02/20/2013, 01:23 PM   #12
mike03
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwz389 View Post
Did you ever decide on a solution?

I used to build sound systems for customers and have ran many in my own vehicles.

When talking about Voice Coils - either SVC or DVC, the main difference in itself is the amount of wiring sequences you can have.

Think of it this way, with a SVC at 4 Ohms, you only have an option to run 4 Ohms. This would require you to have an amplifier that runs 4 Ohm output on a single channel, or a 2 channel at 8 ohms per channel. That's where monoblocks really come into play. HOWEVER, Mono (Class D) can be used in any case as long as they are wired in succession on one channel, matching the specifications of the subwoofer.

Take DVC. You've got a single DVC subwoffer at 4 ohms. You can either bridge or wire in parallel to obtain either 2 Ohm or 8 Ohm. This will give you a range of options as far as amplifier selection.

I've always ran DVC when running more than one subwoofer, as a lot of high power amplifiers are 1 Ohm stable. Two 2 Ohm subwoofers can wire into 1 Ohm.

There is no difference in power OUTPUT between DVC and SVC, if they are the same subwoofer. Only difference is output wiring.

If I were you, I'd stick with a Mono D Class, around 4 Ohms with a SVC sub, no need to complicate a basic setup.

As far as opinions on brand, i always favor Kicker. Pioneer has gotten better. Alpine is still on par with what they used to be, albeit get their higher end systems.

Anything else, just let me know!

- Brandon
Sorry for the late reply, I have not gotten a solution yet. I am more of a Pioneer guy. something about their quality i have always enjoyed, in my opinion.

I, although, have not tried their subs and amplifier at all, but have seen great review from others in other sites.

I've been looking on cruthfield.com for quality and endurance, and not to forget customers review. What I'm looking for is a mono block amplifier running a single 10" sub in a enclosure box.

Here are links from what I'm looking at for my system:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TW26...D4.html?tp=111
Selections on subwoofers:

http://www.crutchfield.com/fg_520_FF...rs.html?tp=111

And here are the selections of mono blocks:

http://www.crutchfield.com/fg_347250....html?tp=35834

The box I'd like to do for it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-96-97-...86399b&vxp=mtr

One more thing, if i were to run any of these choices, what size of wire is should be using in order to have a perfect set up?

Thanks Brandon so much for your information and your time to help out.
hope this gives an idea of what I'm trying to do and maybe good information for others

Let me know what are your thoughts and opinions

Thanks again!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcEGcivic View Post
bro u gotta leave that shit out. weight stage cuzzzz' lmao just kiddin. hell im pullin the 10 inch alpine outta my foxbody and puttin it in my teg. why the hell not! lol what did ya end up going with?
Nah lol It shouldn't be a weight issue anyways DO IT!! shot some pics of your set

Old 02/21/2013, 01:50 PM   #13
Bmwz389
JDM Soldier

Mike,

As far as all that selection goes, you're on the right track!

A few key notes:

1. From what you've shown me, a lot of the subwoofer options are 4 Ohm DVC. Your best bet is to buy a DVC sub at 4 Ohms, match it with an amplifier at "x" amount of watts at 2 Ohms - "x" being the RMS power of the subwoofer at 2 Ohms. THEN, wire the subwoofer internally in the box at 2 Ohms (Parallel). Keep it single channel to the external box connection. So, if you were looking at the "TS-W260D4" - You would need an amp either at 350 watts mono at 4 Ohms (SVC sub) OR 350 mono at 2 Ohms (DVC sub).

Make sense? Lol

2. The power range you're looking at is low key. I know you're not looking at BOOMING DOWN THE FUCKING BLOCK, but I'm running a 600W RMS Kicker sub in a sealed box in a SEALED trunk. Meaning all the SPL is trapped in the trunk (for the time being). This causes you to only hear the sub (subpar I might add), and not FEEL the pressure moving. This will more than likely disappoint you at 300W RMS, as I can barely feel mine with a 600W. If you were to port into the cab through the rear deck, you might increase pressure. So, basically, try cruising around in a few cars that have a similar system (sealed box/sealed trunk) at that power range. Personal preference will decide though haha.

3. As far as what gauge wire to use, anything from 12-16 AWG will suffice. Every amp will have it's own recommendation. I've never used thinner than 12 AWG on any amps. I'm running 4 AWG on my 750W amp, because it's Kicker and they always rate their power low, and that's what they recommended. The lower the number AWG, the bigger the wire. Most 1 Ohm stable amps will push 0/1 or even 00.

Check the recommendation with the amp, but you're more than likely looking at 12 or 14 AWG.

I think I wrote this all correctly. It gets confusing wiring, but if you bear through it, it'll all make sense haha.

Oh and to clarify, Parallel Wiring is bridging the two negative terminals on the DVC, then bridging the two positive terminals. Then running the leads opposing to the external switch.

Just ignore one of the subs.

I think I covered everything lol.

- Brandon

I want your DA parts! LS/V high compression build in progress.