JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Interior Design

Old 03/18/2012, 06:29 PM   #1
matta
JDM Fan

Default Exterior Painting?

I know this thread is in the wrong area, but I didn't see anything for exterior. Sorry in advanced.

I have a old top and a new top for my honda del sol. I was wanting to experiment and get a feel of things. I wish I could do everything to my car, but I know that wont happen. Don't really have the time, but with the time I have I want to learn.

So anyways I'm stuck between red or black on the outside of my car. I was wondering what materials would I need to prep my top? Spray gun paint or spray can paint? What's the difference really. If someone could kindly please list materials needed and best paint to use would be greatly appreciated.

I'm just a computer nerd (technician/programmer) that loves to mess with electronics and can do a lot. Now I'm wanting to get my mind more into cars. I would gladly help out the community with anything involving computers just to repay the favor. Thanks!

Old 03/28/2012, 10:48 AM   #2
austing64
JDM Soldier

Default Re: Exterior Painting?

DEPENDING ON THE CONDITION OF THE TOP TO PREP YOULL NEED
-600 SAND PAPER KEEPING THE DA FLAT SO YOU DONT CREATE GROOVES
-GRAY SCOTCH BRITE
-A CLEANING SOLVENT LIKE WAX GREASE REMOVER OR ALCOHOL WIPES

SPRAY CAN PAINT WILL NOT HAVE A GOOD FINISH AND WILL LOOOK BLOTCHY!
USING A REAL GUN WILL GIVE YOU A GOOD SHINNY FINSH BUT I WOULD HAVE IT PAINTED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PAINTING WITH A GUN! BUT IF YOU PREP IT WITH THE STUFF ABOVE AND RATTLE CAN IT. IT WILL LOOK OKAY IF THATS THE LOOK OR FINISH YOU WANT. IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW NICE YOU WANT THE PAINT TO LOOK

"you like my new car huh? lick your lips, slut."

07'STi

93'BMW 318is

84'"355 cid" S-10

01'Yamaha R1
Old 03/28/2012, 11:24 AM   #3
matta
JDM Fan

I found quite a bit online about rostoleum or $50 paint job. The color I'm wanting to use is what this guy used and it turned out quite nice:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...paint-job-quot

Old 03/28/2012, 11:46 AM   #4
pirate
JDM Knight

the 50$ paint job is exactly what it is.. a 50$ paint job.. good from far.. but far from good.. so depends on what you want.. u want quality.. do it right and spend the cash..

i spray painted a car, but i spent more then 50$.. i actually preped it etc.. came out decent.. didnt look sprayed, but didnt look pro either.

Syn Customs: Carbon fiber and fiberglass work
www.facebook.com/syn-customs

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to 0.
Old 03/28/2012, 01:44 PM   #5
The Laser
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate View Post
the 50$ paint job is exactly what it is.. a 50$ paint job.. good from far.. but far from good.. so depends on what you want.. u want quality.. do it right and spend the cash..

i spray painted a car, but i spent more then 50$.. i actually preped it etc.. came out decent.. didnt look sprayed, but didnt look pro either.
Surprisingly enough I've seen some good rattle-can jobs. It's amazing what you can do with simple shit and enough prepping.

"does this have V-tec? i bet it has V-tec"
"V-tec is for fags. This has boost"
Old 03/28/2012, 04:43 PM   #6
austing64
JDM Soldier

EXACTLY ITS ALL IN HOW ITS BEEN PREPPED I WORK AT KARL CHEVROLET IN THE BODY SHOP BUT I STILL USE RATTLE CAN ON SOMETHINGS I DO JUST BECAUSE OF THE COST DIFFERANCE. BUT GENERALLY IT ONLY LOOKS GOOD USING FLAT COLOR LIKE FLAT BLACK AND IT MAKES A DIFFEREANCE ON THE TYPE OF SPRAY PAINT YOU USE SOME PAINT DRYS DIFFERENT AND MAKES THE PAINT LOOK BLOTCHY USE A HIGH QUILITY RATTLE CAN. I JUST DID THE ROOF THE WHEELS AND ROCKER MOLDINGINGS ON MY BMW WITH RATTLE CAN PAINT AND THEY LOOK PRETTY NICE.

07'STi

93'BMW 318is

84'"355 cid" S-10

01'Yamaha R1
Old 03/29/2012, 08:53 AM   #7
pirate
JDM Knight

why are you yelling.. and why is a dealership using spray paint to fix paint errors.. fail for quality bet they charge the price of a real paint fix

Old 03/29/2012, 09:32 AM   #8
austing64
JDM Soldier

Quote:
why are you yelling.. and why is a dealership using spray paint to fix paint errors.. fail for quality bet they charge the price of a real paint fix
OBVIOUSLY YOU CANT READ I SAID I DID THAT ON MY OWN CAR! and that time i ment it to be in caps you idiot. DONT speak where you shouldnt or dont know. your hating because you want to be an ass and ruin what this topic is bout. he asked how and what he needs to do a job not for you to falsly try and start arguement in his thread.

07'STi

93'BMW 318is

84'"355 cid" S-10

01'Yamaha R1
Old 03/29/2012, 10:22 AM   #9
pirate
JDM Knight

YUP you got me!!!
it defiantly says in your post that it was done on your car..

"EXACTLY ITS ALL IN HOW ITS BEEN PREPPED I WORK AT KARL CHEVROLET IN THE BODY SHOP BUT I STILL USE RATTLE CAN ON SOMETHINGS I DO JUST BECAUSE OF THE COST DIFFERANCE"

never once mentioned it was on YOUR CAR.. but im an idiot..

im am an idiot and want to ruin things. you got me! dam.. you should quit being a paint boy and be a DICKtective.. youd be reallly good at it.. funny how i said the same things you did.. IE prep is the key.. yet i dont know anything and im an idiot..

keep perpetuating crappy builds spray paint everything!

GL op, this idiots getting outa here..

shit i just realised i should have yelled all that..

Old 03/29/2012, 10:26 AM   #10
pirate
JDM Knight

http://www.jdmcity.com/showthread.php?t=21857

Old 03/29/2012, 10:35 AM   #11
austing64
JDM Soldier

" I JUST DID THE ROOF THE WHEELS AND ROCKER MOLDINGINGS ON MY BMW WITH RATTLE CAN PAINT AND THEY LOOK PRETTY NICE."

meaning i use rattle can at home because it is cheaper then bringing my parts to work and having them painted.

i didnt say you were wrong about how to spray can a car. your an idiot for calling some one out on a public forum about there work when your really have no idea.

have you seen our dealership obviously we didnt become the number one shop in the nation spray canning cars.

07'STi

93'BMW 318is

84'"355 cid" S-10

01'Yamaha R1
Old 03/29/2012, 10:50 AM   #12
pirate
JDM Knight

Why did you even mention it then.. by calling me an idiot and saying i cant read, when its not clear that you did it only on your car is b.s... thats why i commented about it, as i read it, it sure read like u were doing it at your work.. or else wtf mention it.. and i know your dealership.. i know what kind of work they do.. thus why i was surprised that they would use spray paint.. Im sorry i took info you stated read it and gave my thoughts on it... its a forum.. kinda what its about. just saying.. wanst calling YOU out, i was hoping for a claification ,like u gave "meaning i use rattle can at home because it is cheaper then bringing my parts to work and having them painted. " but instead you were an asshatt.. it was simple misunderstanding in your writing and my reading.. i never said Karl sux, they are the worst because they use spray or anyhting of that nature.. it was posed as a question..

that is all.

side note, thx for the claification...im glad to read that they dont. its all good

Last edited by pirate; 03/29/2012 at 11:10 AM.

Old 03/29/2012, 11:44 AM   #13
austing64
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Why did you even mention it then.. by calling me an idiot and saying i cant read, when its not clear that you did it only on your car is b.s... thats why i commented about it, as i read it, it sure read like u were doing it at your work.. or else wtf mention it.. and i know your dealership.. i know what kind of work they do.. thus why i was surprised that they would use spray paint.. Im sorry i took info you stated read it and gave my thoughts on it... its a forum.. kinda what its about. just saying.. wanst calling YOU out, i was hoping for a claification ,like u gave "meaning i use rattle can at home because it is cheaper then bringing my parts to work and having them painted. " but instead you were an asshatt.. it was simple misunderstanding in your writing and my reading.. i never said Karl sux, they are the worst because they use spray or anyhting of that nature.. it was posed as a question..

that is all.

side note, thx for the claification...im glad to read that they dont. its all good
I agree it started on the wrong foot and thanks for understanding and being clear. i just got offended thinking the shop i work for and am very proud of would be thought of as a hack shop. i think what really got me was the smartassness of "why are you yelling?" now lol i use caps locks for evrything in my system on this computer and forget it was on until i had already post i have alot of post on here in caps lock.

07'STi

93'BMW 318is

84'"355 cid" S-10

01'Yamaha R1
Old 03/29/2012, 12:04 PM   #14
pirate
JDM Knight

it makes sence now (the caps lock) , i thought you were just yelling for fun, so i was being a smartass lol but i feel ya, its all good sir!

-glad to see that people still take pride in where they work and what their company/work produces.. pretty rare thesese days.

Old 04/01/2012, 04:27 PM   #15
yamaha
JDM Lover

Cool