JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Drag/AutoX/Road Course Racing

Reply
 
Old 04/28/2010, 01:24 AM   #1
h22nate
JDM Lover
 
h22nate is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: 515, IA
Posts: 55

 
Default Launching tips

Going to the track for my first time here in a week. Any tips for launching a fwd accord with street tires? Thanks! Also curious about "staging" or heating your tires.. Does it make much of a difference if you choose not to?

  Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2010, 01:52 AM   #2
Kyleakahalo
JDM Soldier
 
Kyleakahalo's Avatar
 
Kyleakahalo is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 155

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22nate View Post
Going to the track for my first time here in a week. Any tips for launching a fwd accord with street tires? Thanks! Also curious about "staging" or heating your tires.. Does it make much of a difference if you choose not to?
prolly should drive past the staging area... you will prolly lose tracktion by staging with low hp and street tires,, just something my uncle told me.


__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Garrett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Heating your street tires up will more than likly do you no good. Radial tire, will get water in groves of tire and not help any. With street tires avoid burn out box, and slip the clutch of the start, Or get small slicks and do Work. Personal Experiance here. I use slick only now, wouldn't even think of fudging around with DOT street tires.

  Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2010, 10:14 AM   #4
h22nate
JDM Lover
 
h22nate is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: 515, IA
Posts: 55

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Heating your street tires up will more than likly do you no good. Radial tire, will get water in groves of tire and not help any. With street tires avoid burn out box, and slip the clutch of the start, Or get small slicks and do Work. Personal Experiance here. I use slick only now, wouldn't even think of fudging around with DOT street tires.
Yeah ive heard that street tires really suck on tracks. So rev high around 4 and slip the clutch?

  Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2010, 01:33 PM   #5
ChunKy
my mexico
 
ChunKy's Avatar
 
ChunKy is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: dead grass land
Posts: 4,365

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Ya dnt burnout with street tires, u can just spin the wheel little bit so get all the sand and dirt off the wheel, just launch hard :)


__________________

blah
  Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2010, 04:52 PM   #6
h22nate
JDM Lover
 
h22nate is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: 515, IA
Posts: 55

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Sounds good! Lookin forward to seeing my times!

  Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2010, 08:56 PM   #7
nick88
(BANNED)
 
nick88 is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: des moines
Posts: 1,154

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Practice at stop signs when there is nobody around and find the launch rpm that you like. And like Garrett said, slip the clutch.

  Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2010, 09:51 PM   #8
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド
 
Dj Technick's Avatar
 
Dj Technick is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,475

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Hold the hand brake up and let out the clutch to the point where it just starts to grab and you can feel the car pick up. Rev to whatever RPM you find to work the best and when the light turns green go. Practice makes perfect.


__________________


Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)
  Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2010, 05:40 PM   #9
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy
 
H22APWRD94 is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,007

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Don't run the A/C in the staging lanes.....

Mike

  Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2010, 05:44 PM   #10
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy
 
H22APWRD94 is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,007

 
Default Re: Launching tips

But also, again with experience regarding H22 in heavy ass chassis, launch low, slip the clutch, get out of it if it wheel hops. You don't want to replace the FD in an H22 transmission. They are not cheap, nor easy to find. If the car has adjustable struts in it (not sure) set your backs to the stiffest, and your fronts to middle/middle-soft. This will keep the weight transfer down in those pigs. Definitely stay out of the water box, and maybe only turn the tires over quickly. DJ mad a great point about pre-loading the driveline. It will be far better on your axles and differential for you to use this launch style.

Mike

  Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド
 
Dj Technick's Avatar
 
Dj Technick is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,475

 
Default Re: Launching tips

oh one other thing, Idk if your car spins super bad or not, but if you spin like a foo, feather that pedal. Don't be one of those idiots that keep it on the ground and slap the rev limiter.


__________________


Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2010, 08:41 AM   #12
Rosko
JDM Soldier
 
Rosko's Avatar
 
Rosko is offline
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 224

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Technick View Post
oh one other thing, Idk if your car spins super bad or not, but if you spin like a foo, feather that pedal. Don't be one of those idiots that keep it on the ground and slap the rev limiter.
You mean the guys doin John Force burnouts off the line in their stockish Hondas and then comin back to the pits complaining how they get no traction?? lol

Street tires suck and I don't usually run them anymore but I always do a burnout anyways. Kinda like a practice launch before you stage to get a feel for the car. I would always run about 15psi too. Slicks are where its at tho :)


__________________

www.roskoracing.com
1992 Honda Prelude 12.74@111.8 N/A
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2010, 10:05 AM   #13
ososlohatch
JDM King
 
ososlohatch's Avatar
 
ososlohatch is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: gutter
Posts: 1,753

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosko View Post
You mean the guys doin John Force burnouts off the line in their stockish Hondas and then comin back to the pits complaining how they get no traction?? lol

Street tires suck and I don't usually run them anymore but I always do a burnout anyways. Kinda like a practice launch before you stage to get a feel for the car. I would always run about 15psi too. Slicks are where its at tho :)
slicks for sure.. I have 24x8x13 MT's and they hook up good with a 100 shot out of the whole ... proper burnout required .... warming street tires is doing nothing but getting your engine/trans hot..


__________________

???????{-}-{},{}_{},{}-{-}??????? {}s0sl{}
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2010, 08:10 PM   #14
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド
 
Dj Technick's Avatar
 
Dj Technick is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,475

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosko View Post
You mean the guys doin John Force burnouts off the line in their stockish Hondas and then comin back to the pits complaining how they get no traction?? lol

Street tires suck and I don't usually run them anymore but I always do a burnout anyways. Kinda like a practice launch before you stage to get a feel for the car. I would always run about 15psi too. Slicks are where its at tho :)
lol, yea the guys that launch at like 7 grand and keep there foot down, then come back to the pits complaining and blaming there shitty launch on the track.


__________________


Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2010, 10:38 AM   #15
Em1LuiSiR
AWFD
 
Em1LuiSiR's Avatar
 
Em1LuiSiR is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DMI
Posts: 1,139

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Idk about track I'm honestly not to sure but when I race in my si I go around 4-5 rpm. But then again I'm no pro.


__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-mohoney View Post
Ill pass on trade. Only looking for hundos.
I get cheap OEM replacment body parts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2010, 05:07 PM   #16
ososlohatch
JDM King
 
ososlohatch's Avatar
 
ososlohatch is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: gutter
Posts: 1,753

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em1LuiSiR View Post
Idk about track I'm honestly not to sure but when I race in my si I go around 4-5 rpm. But then again I'm no pro.
tire roaster !!! I dont even launch on street tires maybe like 3k rpm and slip the clutch out real fast... or I just start in second and launch bouncing off 8200 rev limit


__________________

???????{-}-{},{}_{},{}-{-}??????? {}s0sl{}
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2010, 06:00 PM   #17
Em1LuiSiR
AWFD
 
Em1LuiSiR's Avatar
 
Em1LuiSiR is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DMI
Posts: 1,139

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ososlohatch View Post
tire roaster !!! I dont even launch on street tires maybe like 3k rpm and slip the clutch out real fast... or I just start in second and launch bouncing off 8200 rev limit
Lol I did before at around 3 and I would always be a lot slower!


__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-mohoney View Post
Ill pass on trade. Only looking for hundos.
I get cheap OEM replacment body parts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2010, 08:28 PM   #18
ososlohatch
JDM King
 
ososlohatch's Avatar
 
ososlohatch is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: gutter
Posts: 1,753

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em1LuiSiR View Post
Lol I did before at around 3 and I would always be a lot slower!
I hear ya, launch at 3k and dump the clutch or 5k and slip the clutch .. I know If I drop my car at 5k on street tires I hit vtec and just spin to much.. dropping it at 3k popping the clutch fast gives you a nice jump without breaking all the way loose... but im sure our cars launch alot different... we set my buddies 2 step at 3500 on his boosted b20 with drag radials and its perfect for the streets


__________________

???????{-}-{},{}_{},{}-{-}??????? {}s0sl{}
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2010, 09:09 PM   #19
Em1LuiSiR
AWFD
 
Em1LuiSiR's Avatar
 
Em1LuiSiR is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DMI
Posts: 1,139

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ososlohatch View Post
I hear ya, launch at 3k and dump the clutch or 5k and slip the clutch .. I know If I drop my car at 5k on street tires I hit vtec and just spin to much.. dropping it at 3k popping the clutch fast gives you a nice jump without breaking all the way loose... but im sure our cars launch alot different... we set my buddies 2 step at 3500 on his boosted b20 with drag radials and its perfect for the streets
Yeah man cars are a lot different too. When my si wants to be fast it will be. But I had a usdm b16a2 without bodykit and shit and it pulled a lot harder!
My ricer si used to be boosted and I think it was tuned for motor. But I don't think it would run at all you know? I just think my car should pull harder then it does.

I think 3k would be good but this car is weird so I just go higher.


__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-mohoney View Post
Ill pass on trade. Only looking for hundos.
I get cheap OEM replacment body parts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2010, 02:21 PM   #20
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド
 
Dj Technick's Avatar
 
Dj Technick is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,475

 
Default Re: Launching tips

I launch at 2500 anything higher than that just spins like crazy...but I'm on nitto neo gens so can't be expecting a whole lot of grip.


__________________


Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2010, 06:32 PM   #21
Em1LuiSiR
AWFD
 
Em1LuiSiR's Avatar
 
Em1LuiSiR is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DMI
Posts: 1,139

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Technick View Post
I launch at 2500 anything higher than that just spins like crazy...but I'm on nitto neo gens so can't be expecting a whole lot of grip.
And you have a h22 hatch lol


__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-mohoney View Post
Ill pass on trade. Only looking for hundos.
I get cheap OEM replacment body parts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2010, 12:22 PM   #22
h22nate
JDM Lover
 
h22nate is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: 515, IA
Posts: 55

 
Default Re: Launching tips

yeah i ended up launching at around 2500 rpm.. it was my first time at the track and its hard to find that sweet spot! especially on work street tires like mine.. stupid mistake

  Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2010, 08:56 PM   #23
mycarslow
JDM Knight
 
mycarslow is offline
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: e dale iowa
Posts: 891

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22nate View Post
yeah i ended up launching at around 2500 rpm.. it was my first time at the track and its hard to find that sweet spot! especially on work street tires like mine.. stupid mistake
Is your car s white two door at the cf track? I was there. Till bout mid night then said fuck this and got drunk


__________________

Built h22 62mm turbo e85
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2010, 10:16 PM   #24
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド
 
Dj Technick's Avatar
 
Dj Technick is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,475

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em1LuiSiR View Post
And you have a h22 hatch lol
H23 with H22 head. lol
But no, thats with my crx I launch at that. I havn't launched the civic yet, I just got all the parts i needed and now I gotta get it tuned. Plus I havnt had a license since I bought the car so i havnt been able to drive it even


__________________


Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2010, 07:19 AM   #25
Em1LuiSiR
AWFD
 
Em1LuiSiR's Avatar
 
Em1LuiSiR is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DMI
Posts: 1,139

 
Default Re: Launching tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Technick View Post
H23 with H22 head. lol
But no, thats with my crx I launch at that. I havn't launched the civic yet, I just got all the parts i needed and now I gotta get it tuned. Plus I havnt had a license since I bought the car so i havnt been able to drive it even
Haha oh my bad! But I think it depends on like tires and power. But idk. Lol


__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-mohoney View Post
Ill pass on trade. Only looking for hundos.
I get cheap OEM replacment body parts.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.