JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Miscellaneous Forum > Appearance/Cosmetic

Old 08/03/2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Default Technicks 240sx

Instead of starting new threads every time I want to post something about my car I've come to the conclusion that I should just make one thread. This way everything is in one spot all nice and neat like, rather then scattered throughout the forum. Bear with me for the first couple of posts that are going to be on this since I'm going to cover first buying the car then copy things I've done to it from previous threads I've posted.

So it's finally time I started a build thread. So without further delay lets get this started.

This was the day I bought the car. Picked her up from a guy in Altoona who had built it for racing at MAM.

The car already had the SR swap in it, Stance coilovers, an Auto Power half cage, and Sparco Seat, along with many other parts.

The inside was already stripped out and in all honesty I was surprised that it had door panels.

Since the car came with Toyo Proxy slicks all around and the weather man was saying that there was going to be a lot of rain that week I had to ditch the 5zigens and get something cheap that would get me by. Thankfully I was able to find a set of wheels the next day to put on the car. They weren't exactly that good looking on the car but hey, I could at least drive in the rain without sliding around everywhere.

And this is what began the drift project. At the time I didn't fully comprehend what buying this car was going to do to me.

Last edited by Dj Technick; 08/03/2012 at 12:25 PM.

Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)
Old 08/03/2012, 08:49 AM   #2
crxh22honda
JDM King

Default Re: Technicks 240sx

shes looking good....the car i mean.

i think i need to start one of these to since its gonna take forever for my car.

cant wait to see the rest of the build

Last edited by crxh22honda; 08/03/2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08/03/2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Not long after having bought the car I had my first encounter with a deer. I've always wondered how people hit deer, I've come blasting around blind corners at 60+ mph to find 6 deer in the middle of the street and they always moved. I had never had any problems with them. They always moved for me in the past and I had seen them so much that i never bothered to slow down when I would come across some in the road.

Well my lucky days of dodging deer were over...While driving on one of my fave roads I suddenly heard a loud thud. Initially I thought a tire had blown out, but quickly realized my car was driving just fine so it couldn't have been a tire spontaneously exploding. I stopped the car, got out, and noticed my mirror was folded in and left a nice mark on my drivers door window. Not till I went to get back in the car did I see the massive dent of doom.

I initially tried plexy glass, but had issues with that. So I went an alternative route and made a fiberglass window.

Old 08/03/2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Throughout owning the car I've met a lot of other 240 owners and have seen all sorts of different things people do. Turned out some old friends from elementary school have some hellaflushed 240's. So I did what anybody else would do in my shoes. Went cruising around with them and took some photos.

After having driven and parked next to them, I quickly realized how ugly mine looks in comparison. Bumper pealing, body all banged up, sitting high like a monster truck...This motivated me to make my next move. Get some nice wheels, and go low.

Old 08/03/2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Just finished up taking care of my wheel wells. Moved the wire loom up out of the way and hammered the living shit out of the medal lip that loves to shred up tires. Just waiting on getting my suspension wrenches back from a friend and we shall drop it to the floor. Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure.

The wheels are XXR 962 fronts are 18x8.5 +35 and rears are 18x9.5 +35 with 265 tires on all 4.

Old 08/03/2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Decided to post a quick update on the setup.

Lowered the front about as far as I can go without having the wheels rub every time I hit a bump.

Had some technical dificulties along the way. My suspension decided it didn't want to come loose. Then with added force the spanner wrenches couldn't handle it and bent. So I had to order some new ones, and some nice ones at that.

New next to the old.

Now for some pics of the suspension.

First I tried attaching a ratchet by itself.

Didn't have much luck with that...turned out I had to use the entire jack handle, then run at it as fast as I could and put all of my body's weight into it. After 10 tries or so they finally came loose!

Lowered another inch and a quarter. Plus added some preload to try and get rid of some of my suspension travel till I get stiffer springs.

Here are a few before and after pictures.

Satisfied with the new height up front (which is actually a quarter of an inch lower then the rear even tho it doesn't look like it) I took her out for a spin to find that when turning the wheels left the driverside was having a jolly good time rubbing away. Turns out the wheel was still able to hit some of the exposed part of the harness.

Luckly I'm not the only one to have ever had this problem before. So I called up Taylor Stringer to ask him about what he did on his S13, and I copied off his aluminum plate idea.

Quick made a template out of cardboard and riveted the bitch on there.

It isn't exactly the most beautiful looking thing in the world but this will have to do for now.

Old 08/03/2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Had a few issues come up with the car over the past couple days. Started to make a strange "clicking" noise coming from the rear on the driver side of the car under deceleration. Not sure as to what it was I crawled under her to check it out. Found that my axle wasn't in the best of shape. Kept driving on it for a day and the noise increasingly became worse until the axle finally said "I don't like you anymore, time to commit suicide."

Simple fix right? Bought a brand new axle from the part store and threw it up in there. Only this made the noise far worse...Now it was doing it on both decel and accel...This really concerned me of course, so I check it out again only this axle felt a lot more stable. This made me decide to drop my differential to get a look at her, maybe that's where the noise was coming from.

Pulled the rear end, opened her up and well, everything was perfectly fine, not a single mark anywhere on it.

Went back to the new axle I had just installed to find out, it was junk too...So I had to order in a new one which was going to take a day. I also needed some gear oil now, and decided I would wait to put the diff all back together when I picked up the new axle and got some gear oil. The same day me and Leon went out the junkyard to get some parts for a customer car and stumbled across a shit load of early 90's Nissan Pathfinders, and it just so happened that there were a few out there that were AWD with the 3 speed automatics. Now for those of you who don't know, the frond differential in those cars is also an R200 diff which comes factory in the 240's, silvias, and a lot of other nissans. However, these in particular pathfinders come with a 4.625 gear ratio where as the 240 has a 4.08. My diff was already torn apart so why not have a little bit of fun right? Unfortunately we had gone out there a little late in the day so we had to wait to head back out there. Sure as shit, it of course has to rain on the one day I need it not to.

Determined to do this, we said fuck it, loaded up the tools and set sail to Car Country! Had them lift the front of the car in the air, threw a couple spare tires underneath to hold it up, and snagged some carpet out of the surrounding cars and went to work.

It looks like it's a cake walk to get one of these out at first glance, all the bolts came loose as if the car was brand new. Everything was going well until it was time to pull it out. We spent a good hour trying to pry it out but it wouldn't budge. Right on the edge of defeat Matt Cossel showed up out of NOWHERE! Literally, dude came straight out of nowhere! Thanks to his quick thinking and with the aid of an exhaust pipe as a prying bar we were able to get it out. Then he even helped carry the thing from the back corner of the lot all the way to the front!

Anyway, onwards we go. Switching out the ring and pinion is rather simple, a bit time consuming and a slight pain in the ass, but simple. 4 bolts and the passenger side outlet pops right out, then a single bolt on the driver side and that oulet pops right out. 4 bolts holding the the actually diff itself, and one nut holding the pinion on. After you get that all taken apart there are 10 bolts holding the ring gear.

And wala, she was all taken apart.

Here's a comparison of the stock 240 ring and pinion and the Pathfinder one. The 240 is the top one and the pathfinder the bottom one.

Here's a shot of the gear ratio's just to show you it is a 4.625. In case there is anyone that has no idea how I got 4.625 out of looking at this, you simply divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinoin. In this case 37 divided by 8.

Then you simply bolt the ring gear onto the diff, mine is an s15 HLSD for those of you who are wondering.

Also install the pinoin in the casing, takes a little bit of work to do. I reused my bearings because they were all in beautiful shape, plus I like to be cheap when I can.

Thew the diff into the casing and installed new output seals while I was at it.

Add some RTV and bolt up the casing, also slip the outputs in place and she's ready to go back in!

I spent a total of 125$ to change out the gears. The junk yard charged me 75$ for the differential and the gear oil was 20$ per bottle. I used Royal Purple 75w90, a bit on the pricey side but well worth it especially when you have LSD!

The change in gear ratios isn't as ridiculously dramatic as you might think, but there is quite the difference. After doing just one quick pull through 4th I could really tell.

I would again really like thank Leon Wilson and Matt Cossel for helping me with this, not sure if I could have done it without you guys!

Old 08/03/2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Recently I've been looking into doing a hydro handbrake setup in my 240, so I did some looking around to decide what I wanted and decided I was going to mount it inside the center dash (where the cd player goes). Powered By Max had exactly what I needed but they were out of stock. About a month went by and after sending them an email they were still out of stock and would be for a month! Tired of waiting I decided that I can make one myself! Looked up what master cylinder I needed and went to work.

I went with the Wilwood .75 master cylinder which will be used for a pass through setup. (part # 260-6089)

From there it was time to start designing how it was going to made.

Now that I had my design setup it was time to get to work. I took the drawings and headed on over to Hickman Racing. I've had Jim there help me out with a few projects before and he does outstanding work if you ask me. I showed up with the drawings initially planning on welding 5 pieces of medal together and drilling out some holes, just like I had setup in my drawings. However, Jim being Jim wanted to make this thing as badass as possible by making it from aluminum and throwing it in the CNC. Since that isn't exactly the cheapest thing to do we worked out a deal where I did some drawings for a part he was working on for a customer.

We scratched out the drawings I had initially done, kept the dimensions from it and gave the design a makeover. Unfortunately this was drawn up on the computer there and I never did a print screen of the file so I don't have a picture to show you all for that.

Cut out a chunk of aluminum to start with.

Threw it in the CNC

And out came this.

Next it was time to cut out a slot for the handle to slip into and drill out the holes for the master cylinder. From here out instead of using the big kid CNC we threw it on the small CNC mill and did the rest manually.

Test fit the master cylinder, also got a rod of aluminum ready for the handle.

From there went out and bought a shoulder bolt for the handle to pivot on, this way instead of it pivoting on the threads of a bolt it would have a nice snug fit and pivot on a smooth surface. This making the handle fit more tight and snug plus reduce wear and tear. Went ahead and drilled out the mounting hole for the handle and drilled out the mounting holes for the assembly itself.

Also bought a yoke for the master cylinder to connect to the handle.

Time to mill down the sides of the handle to fit into the slot made for it earlier, also had to mill down some more on the end for it to fit into the yoke.

Drilled the holes in the handle and did a test fit on everything.

As for the handle sizing I planned this out and went with a bmx handlebar diameter, this way I can throw a bmx grip on the end.

After looking this pictures over, I realized how crappy of photos they are since I took them with my phone. So here are a few pics taken with my slr showing each individual piece after completion and assemble. I'm still trying to decide if I want to paint the handle or polish it...hmmm...

There will be more pictures to come after installation.

Old 08/03/2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Got it all mounted up today. Didn't take too long to do, had to cut out a little bit of plastic which is no big deal, and luckly I didn't have to take out the dash for drilling the holes.

I started by holding the assembly in place where I wanted it to mount, then cut out a piece of paper to size with the holes marked out on it. Its a nice easy way to make holes and have them be as close to exact as you can get.

Mounting it was kind of a bitch, mainly because there is hardly any room to get to the bolts. Getting my hand up in the tranny tunnel and around the trans was quite the task. It also took 2 people to do since one needed to be under the car while one was inside. Definitely worth it tho, fits beautifully and has plenty of clearance away from the shifter.

I should hopefully be getting the brake lines setup and this thing working by the weekend. It all comes down to if a local store has the fittings I need. The one fitting on the master cylinder is 7/16-20 thread finding an adapter to go from that to 3/8 or 10mm brake line isn't exactly the easiest thing to do. I might just end up doing stainless braided hose.

Old 08/03/2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Just got everything hooked up finally and fully operational. Took me a bit longer then expected, the master cylinder had a really odd ball thread pitch for the feed side (7/16-20 inverted flare) of course non of the parts stores had it, so I went to Thompsons and they didn't even have it. The only thing I could find is what wilwood makes and it goes from that thread to a -3 AN male. Then from there the only fitting I could find going from -3 AN to a 3/16 thread pitch (3/8 brake line) was also a male -3 AN. Which meant I had to buy a third fitting female to female -3 AN. Ordered them all from summit which here are the part numbers for all the fittings.

FRA-650303
FRA-496303
WIL-220-6410

Once all of that showed up, I got to work on the rest. Measured how much brake line I would need and bought the rest of the fittings I needed at the parts store. It was a breeze putting this all together, only took an hour to run all the lines, assemble it, and bleed the brakes. Here are a couple photos of the install.

I'm sure looking at all of that is a bit confusing so I modified the last image tracing the brake lines with colour and also drew up a diagram of how the lines run in the car.

Hopefully this should be self explanatory after looking at the pictures. Also one thing to note is the lines hook up after the proportioning valve, if you do it before it'll only make difficult to use the hydro brake.

Also here is a photo to show the clearance of the rod, my e brake is up and I'm also in first gear in this photo so you can see I'm not banging knuckles when shifting and I'm not going to come close to hitting anything when I pull the brake.

And last but not least here's a link to a quick clip testing the brake and showing that it works. It's not a crazy drift or anything so don't get your hopes up. Just me pulling a lever and the brakes locking.

http://youtu.be/8jTQ4XoNntc

Old 08/03/2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Now that I've gotten all of that stuff taken care of. Lets get onto more recent things. Just recently went to Minnesota for Modern Automotive Performance Proving Grounds event held at Brainerd International Raceway.

This event was a blast, had way too much fun and cant wait to go again. 2 days of nothing but drifting and partying. I ended up doing rather well, qualified 7th and went into a sudden death match with a Pro/Am guy.

And here are a couple of photos from the event. It's a combination of photographers, credit goes out to Erik Bloom, Miles Ritters, Michael Born, and Becca Davidson.

^^ That's Gonzo, car was insanely awesome! Glad I was able to put up a good fight against him.

Old 08/03/2012, 09:21 AM   #12
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Tires Tires Tires, you just can't ever have enough. Good news is, the collection is growing rather then depleting.

Old 08/03/2012, 09:38 AM   #13
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

After 6 months or however long it's been since I took my bumper off. I finally got off my lazy ass and did something with it. I've never been a huge fan of how the stock bumper looks. Just seems a little to plain, plus all of the good looking aftermarket ones have been over used by everybody so no matter what I decide to go with there's always going to be someone else with the same look.

So I decided to do something different. Yes of course this has already been done, but not a lot of people have done it and rock it.

Now I painted it outside as you can see, and I rushed it so it doesn't look the best up close. Has some orange peal going on all over it.

Also my new front lower control arms/torsion rod combo showed up yesterday. Thanks to Powered By Max for the awesome quality parts. I also had a pair of knuckles show up that I'm going to have Joe modify for me.

Old 08/03/2012, 10:14 AM   #14
YoKeutla
JDM Soldier

Slick setup on the hydrobrake! Looks like you are having a hell of a fun time.

Good luck on the rest of the build

Sponsored By: FT-86 SpeedFactory - http://ft86speedfactory.com

Cheers!
YO
Old 08/03/2012, 11:05 AM   #15
gabebauman
DR. DIY

Wrench Re: Technicks 240sx

Like Button

FOR SALE> http://www.jdmcity.com/showthread.php?t=3858

CLICK IT> http://gabusface.blogspot.com/

PS: I cut holes in fenders...pm me.
Old 08/03/2012, 11:20 AM   #16
crxh22honda
JDM King

Old 08/03/2012, 12:01 PM   #17
JBruckhoff
Function>Form

Great to see you put together a build thread. love the simplicity of this car.

04 G35 coupe Vortech supercharged *sold*
09 Pontiac G8 GT
Old 08/03/2012, 12:12 PM   #18
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Thanks guys! Now that I've sold my civic I've got some big plans for this car. Just need to find a cheap daily driver to rock so I can put this thing under the knife for 2-3 weeks.

Old 08/03/2012, 01:13 PM   #19
Switchblade
JDM Knight

Awesome thread Nick, keep it updated. That video really makes me with I could have gone to Minnesota with you guys. Looked like an awesome time.

Canon 40D User.

Old 08/03/2012, 02:14 PM   #20
EM1San
I take pictures

Looks good, Nick.

Andrew.
My flick
Facebook
Old 08/03/2012, 05:58 PM   #21
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Got off work today, and then went to work right away. Hit up my storage garage and grabbed all the mounting brackets for the bumper, then spent a good 20-30 min remembering how to put them on. I eventually figured it out tho. Then went ahead and threw the bumper on.

Future reference to anyone with an S13, have someone help you put your bumper on. Doing it by myself was a super pain in the ass. Lining up all 20 studs that go into the fender is not an easy task by yourself. I played hell doing it, but with motivation I achieved my goal!

Enough talk, I'm sure you all want to see some pics!

Now all I need is a front lip. I'm in love with how it looks, especially with being able to see the intercooler through it.

Next up, time to get to work on these knuckles so I can start getting crazy angle! Hopefully that'll be something I have done by next weekend. Till then.

Old 08/03/2012, 06:27 PM   #22
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Here, I got a beeter pic

Old 08/03/2012, 09:35 PM   #23
gabebauman
DR. DIY

Wrench Re: Technicks 240sx

Looks good. I wonder what some black expanded metal mesh would look like behind them holes. Hmmm

FOR SALE> http://www.jdmcity.com/showthread.php?t=3858

CLICK IT> http://gabusface.blogspot.com/

PS: I cut holes in fenders...pm me.
Old 08/04/2012, 01:14 PM   #24
crxh22honda
JDM King

why didnt you file the holes so it was smooth? keith would be very upset

Old 08/04/2012, 01:15 PM   #25
crxh22honda
JDM King