JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Drag/AutoX/Road Course Racing

Old 07/01/2010, 12:01 PM   #1
ChunKy
my mexico

Default front sway bar delete better for auto x?

i been reading on alot other forums, would front bar delete really helps with auto-x? since im just gonna put in stock rear gsr sway for now.

maybe later when i upgrade to 22mm itr or 24mm asr i could put the fron sway back in

blah
Old 07/01/2010, 04:42 PM   #2
nate2k5
Human Bean

Default Re: front sway bar delete better for auto x?

no, it will cause excessive body roll in the front and the ass end to kick out a bunch more.

1999 Ford Expedition
1989 Volvo 245
1977 Volvo 244

1978 Cobalt 19' BR
Old 07/02/2010, 09:47 AM   #3
ChunKy
my mexico

but there alot people been running saying it actually handle more predictable and little oversteer> is little bit better than understeer?

blah
Old 07/02/2010, 09:57 AM   #4
nate2k5
Human Bean

if you want to properly cause a car to be neutral or oversteer install a larger rear sway, they aren't really expensive enough to warrant a ghetto fix.

1999 Ford Expedition
1989 Volvo 245
1977 Volvo 244

1978 Cobalt 19' BR
Old 07/02/2010, 02:12 PM   #5
blacksheep
JDM King

Dude - Don't take this the wrong way - but just get out there and drive a bunch first. Have some fun and run the car. Try all this front bar, rear bar, coilovers, braces and other bs after you have been driving a bit and have car control and experience. Don't tell me you have mastered car control by delivering fortune cookies. I will laugh, give you my address and ask you to deliver a large order of sugar balls

Seriously - I was out in Kansas auto-xing my focus with a ton of suspension work and slicks. A 18 yr old kid in a STOCK corolla whooped my times consistently. I am not any good, but I was embarassed. He was faster than others too, but my point is that he knew how to drive his car and all my suspension didnt make me any better.

Also, driving stock and then adding parts slowly one at a time almost helps you better.

Just go do it and have fun!

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 #205/1000
Old 07/02/2010, 08:41 PM   #6
ChunKy
my mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
Dude - Don't take this the wrong way - but just get out there and drive a bunch first. Have some fun and run the car. Try all this front bar, rear bar, coilovers, braces and other bs after you have been driving a bit and have car control and experience. Don't tell me you have mastered car control by delivering fortune cookies. I will laugh, give you my address and ask you to deliver a large order of sugar balls

Seriously - I was out in Kansas auto-xing my focus with a ton of suspension work and slicks. A 18 yr old kid in a STOCK corolla whooped my times consistently. I am not any good, but I was embarassed. He was faster than others too, but my point is that he knew how to drive his car and all my suspension didnt make me any better.

Also, driving stock and then adding parts slowly one at a time almost helps you better.

yes sir, ya i think im trying little too hard haha, il quit being a ignorant noob, ill slap in my rear gsr sway bar and call it a day.

deliverying actaully made me faster drive by knowing the streets better but now i need to learn how to master the cones hehe, i dont deliver much, only when we really need drivers

blah
Old 07/05/2010, 04:58 PM   #7
erok
F.T.C.

This is a good question. Did some reading and one guy said he ran about the same times with and without front sway and using a 24mm rear sway bar.

My car didnt come with a front sway and def going to leave it that way for now. Hopefully the hatch will be out next auto-x.

Old 07/05/2010, 05:10 PM   #8
blacksheep
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by erok View Post
This is a good question. Did some reading and one guy said he ran about the same times with and without front sway and using a 24mm rear sway bar.

My car didnt come with a front sway and def going to leave it that way for now. Hopefully the hatch will be out next auto-x.
Yep, I would leave it that way, drive and then once you have for a while, add one on. You can appreciate the upgrade and understand what the bar has now done for the handling.

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 #205/1000
Old 07/06/2010, 12:51 PM   #9
gabebauman
DR. DIY

Wrench Re: front sway bar delete better for auto x?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
Dude - Don't take this the wrong way - but just get out there and drive a bunch first. Have some fun and run the car. Try all this front bar, rear bar, coilovers, braces and other bs after you have been driving a bit and have car control and experience.

BINGO!

You can speculate all you want but none of this extra $$$ put into the car is justified if you don't go out and actually get a feel for the car at speed on a solo course.

With that said...this is my 5th season of auto x and I can tell you that different setups have their positives and negatives.

2006 - 98 Civic Ex Coupe: Skunk2 coilovers with KYB AGX shocks, 24mm front swaybar, 13mm rear swaybar, 15x6.5 +40 wheels with 205/50/15 Dunlop Direzza DZ101 tires.

2007 - 98 Civic Ex Coupe: Ground Control custom rate coilovers, (450F/400R) with Koni Yellow shocks, 24mm front swaybar, 22mm rear swaybar, 15x6.5 wheels +40 with 205/50/15 Falken Azenis RT-615 tires.

2008 - 98 Civic Ex Coupe: Ground Control custom rate coilovers, (450F/400R) with Koni Yellow shocks, 24mm front swaybar, 22mm rear swaybar, 15x6.5 +40 wheels with 225/4515 front & 205/50/15 rear tires.

2009 - 93 Civic Cx Hatch: Ground Control custom rate coilovers, (450F/400R) with Koni Yellow shocks, no front swaybar, 19mm rear swaybar, 15x6.5 +40 wheels with 205/50/15 Hankook RS2 tires.

2010 - 93 Civic Cx Hatch: Ground Control custom rate coilovers, (450F/400R) with Koni Yellow shocks, no front swaybar, 19mm rear swaybar, 15x7 +38 wheels with 205/50/15 Toyo R888 tires.

Not one suspension to tire setup handled the same. I can tell you this...the way I have the hatch setup right now...it feels very good...the best either of my Civics ever did.

Last edited by gabebauman; 07/06/2010 at 12:55 PM.

FOR SALE> http://www.jdmcity.com/showthread.php?t=3858

CLICK IT> http://gabusface.blogspot.com/

PS: I cut holes in fenders...pm me.
Old 07/07/2010, 02:08 PM   #10
90preludeLad
JDM Soldier

i agree with everyone else, if you wanna get faster times, just learn to drive.

at the adventureland autox school at the begining of the year, they had a pretty fun little course set up that i was able to run aprox. 15 times or so. my first two runs were in the 42.x second range, and by the end of the day had my times down to a 35.6. no sway bar delete or any other part you can find could have dropped me those almost 7 seconds.

just food for thought, and i would also think it would be fun to actually feel the difference in how the car handles with the addition (or subtraction) of parts.

Last edited by 90preludeLad; 07/07/2010 at 02:10 PM.

-Andrew

Old 09/09/2012, 09:58 PM   #11
Nickell
JDM Fan

to answer your original ? no it will cause body roll which leads to major weight transfer. A smaller diameter can loosen the car up, and a larger one will cause more of a push. However, there are many other things that can benefit you more than a bar.

Old 09/09/2012, 10:36 PM   #12
luis31
Jefe De Jefes

Geeeez. This threads over 2 years old.

DSM'S, WALKING THE THIN LINE BETWEEN STARTING AND JUNKYARD SINCE '89
Old 09/10/2012, 03:26 PM   #13
Nickell
JDM Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis31 View Post
Geeeez. This threads over 2 years old.
my bad, thought since it was not even half-way down on the first page it would be recent, guess not.

Old 09/27/2012, 08:19 AM   #14
Bmwz389
JDM Soldier

Don't you know JDM City is really only used for selling (or attempting to sell) parts? hahaha, I've brought back threads from the dead so many times because I'm used to other forums where people actually discussed things and didn't have to look at the dates

I feel your pain bruh.

I want your DA parts! LS/V high compression build in progress.