JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Manufacturer Forum > Nissan Forum

Old 08/21/2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Hodge
JDM Knight

Default FSM.....New to the SR engine, Problems.

I recently picked up a S13 with a Red top sr. I was trying to data log to see why it had a hiccup between 3000 to around 3500 RPM. While looking at the a/f ratio and trying to drive...hit the hiccup and I was still in the gas came out of the hiccup was still it the gas and then waabababa shifted to 3rd and big back fire. Long story short over rev and I broke a rocker arm. I was wondering if anyone has a FSM for the Red top or black top. Lost one of the shims down a oil passage, did not find it in lower oil pan. So now I'm going to take the cams out and the lower oil pan, and the FSM would be alot of help. If anyone has one or knows of a link or any other ideas that would be great!

Old 08/21/2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Hodge
JDM Knight

Default Re: FSM.....New to the SR engine, Problems.

Found one!

http://www.240sxtechdvds.org/FSMs.html

Old 08/22/2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Wait what??? Hiccup? Gas? 3500rpm how did you suddenly transition into "wabababa" over revving and breaking a rocker arm? I'm really confused...

Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)
Old 08/22/2012, 11:59 AM   #4
The Laser
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Technick View Post
Wait what??? Hiccup? Gas? 3500rpm how did you suddenly transition into "wabababa" over revving and breaking a rocker arm? I'm really confused...
+1 I'm guessing the "wabababa" was the motor doing some dubstep. It waited for the drop, then had a seizure lol.

"does this have V-tec? i bet it has V-tec"
"V-tec is for fags. This has boost"
Old 08/22/2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Hodge
JDM Knight

Quote:
Gas is e85, after it comming out of the hiccup at around 3500 it came into boost very quick then it hit the rev limiter (waababa) shifted,back fires then I stopped. I'm sure the rocker arm broke while hitting the rev limiter.

Old 08/22/2012, 01:02 PM   #6
The Laser
JDM King

Usually back fires indicate a rich mixture. If the rocker arm snapped off then I would ask the previous owner how hard he pushed it. I'm assuming there was enough oil in the pan?

Old 08/22/2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Hodge
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laser View Post
Usually back fires indicate a rich mixture. If the rocker arm snapped off then I would ask the previous owner how hard he pushed it. I'm assuming there was enough oil in the pan?
Yes, It seemed to be running rich that's why I was hooked up to the computer to data log. There was oil in it. As far as the previous owner beating on it I couldn't tell you. I think I'm the only one to blame for breaking it. May be wrong but it happened in my possession. It was freshly rebuilt, I'm thinking it may have been shimed wrong and incorrect shimming and over rev is a no bueno or the sr's

Old 08/22/2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
Yes, It seemed to be running rich that's why I was hooked up to the computer to data log. There was oil in it. As far as the previous owner beating on it I couldn't tell you. I think I'm the only one to blame for breaking it. May be wrong but it happened in my possession. It was freshly rebuilt, I'm thinking it may have been shimed wrong and incorrect shimming and over rev is a no bueno or the sr's
What were you using to data log? What did the data log results show for your air/fuel? It's still on a MAF sensor right? Is it open BOV or recirculated? What engine management are you running? Freshly rebuilt as in this year and by who, because if it's burning oil sounds like it's not too fresh that or whoever rebuilt it didn't do a very good job. Of course breaking a rocker isn't the end of the world simple fix to buy a new one and slide it on in there.

Old 08/22/2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Also could you explain the hiccup with more detail? Is it just cutting out for a second? Is it sputtering for a few rpm? Is it falling on its face or is it acting really jerky?

Old 08/22/2012, 03:15 PM   #10
The Laser
JDM King

Quote:
What were you using to data log? What did the data log results show for your air/fuel? It's still on a MAF sensor right? Is it open BOV or recirculated? What engine management are you running? Freshly rebuilt as in this year and by who, because if it's burning oil sounds like it's not too fresh that or whoever rebuilt it didn't do a very good job. Of course breaking a rocker isn't the end of the world simple fix to buy a new one and slide it on in there.

Old 08/22/2012, 06:19 PM   #11
Hodge
JDM Knight

Quote:

Didn't look at the log, I was too pissed left my laptop in the car. Laptop died and didn't save. Built by JGY customs, AEM EMS V2, Its set up with speed density, Open Tial 50mm Bov. It's not burning oil that I know of, I would love just to slip another one in there but I'm going to take out the cams any way to see if i can get to that shim that I lost. As far as the Hiccup or it feels like its falling on its face. I'm not terribly worried about it just yet. My main focus now is to find the shim and get it back up and running then look much closer at Air/fuel, MAP, IAT...ect

Old 08/23/2012, 07:52 AM   #12
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Quote:
Didn't look at the log, I was too pissed left my laptop in the car. Laptop died and didn't save. Built by JGY customs, AEM EMS V2, Its set up with speed density, Open Tial 50mm Bov. It's not burning oil that I know of, I would love just to slip another one in there but I'm going to take out the cams any way to see if i can get to that shim that I lost. As far as the Hiccup or it feels like its falling on its face. I'm not terribly worried about it just yet. My main focus now is to find the shim and get it back up and running then look much closer at Air/fuel, MAP, IAT...ect
The shim should be right where you found the broken rocker arm. You don't need to uninstall your cams for that. Although it would be a good idea to make sure everything is clean of metal chunks floating about.

Do you not have an air/fuel gauge in your car? Falling on its face sounds like you either went super rich or super lean, either way really really bad, next time you go into it check your air/fuel the second you see it go way out of whack let off. Given the backfires and the fact that you're using a MAP sensor instead of the MAF you would have to be running really rich like stated before. I just wanted to confirm that, because an open bov on a maf sensor will cause backfires like crazy due to the measured vented air.

Old 08/23/2012, 08:13 AM   #13
Hodge
JDM Knight

Quote:
The shim should be right where you found the broken rocker arm. You don't need to uninstall your cams for that. Although it would be a good idea to make sure everything is clean of metal chunks floating about.

Do you not have an air/fuel gauge in your car? Falling on its face sounds like you either went super rich or super lean, either way really really bad, next time you go into it check your air/fuel the second you see it go way out of whack let off. Given the backfires and the fact that you're using a MAP sensor instead of the MAF you would have to be running really rich like stated before. I just wanted to confirm that, because an open bov on a maf sensor will cause backfires like crazy due to the measured vented air.
Yeah I seen both shims , but when I was trying to get it back it fell down a oil passage, took off the lower pan wasnt in there. So I'm goin to take the upper off next. Yeah that's why I'm taking out the cams to check for any other shavings and damage. I will keep you all updated .

Old 09/09/2012, 09:24 PM   #14
Hodge
JDM Knight

Finally got some time to work on the 240. After removing the all the stuff to get to the upper oil pan, It was very disappointing to see that the shim was not in there. I got a little magnet to try and fish around up there. I was just about to give up and start ripping into it further when I took the magnet out and heard a little piece of metal hit the ground....Then BOOM there it was in all its glory. I was pretty excited. My new rocker arm should be here Wednesday.

Old 09/10/2012, 08:01 AM   #15
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Nice! That's a life saver right there.

Oh and off topic from the shim, are those the K sport big brakes?

Old 09/10/2012, 09:23 AM   #16
proud nico
JDM Lover

I second that.. what brakes are those?

Old 09/10/2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Hodge
JDM Knight

Yep k-sport big brakes up front and in the back.

Old 09/10/2012, 12:46 PM   #18
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

How do you like them? And what's the pad/rotor wear like?

Old 09/10/2012, 01:14 PM   #19
The Laser
JDM King

Some big fucking calipers.

Old 09/10/2012, 06:37 PM   #20
Hodge
JDM Knight

Quote:
How do you like them? And what's the pad/rotor wear like?

Well I didn't really get to drive it enough to see how they are going to wear haha. But it has a willwood booster delete, so i'm not terribly sure how much I like that yet either but hopefully it will just take some getting use to. As far as stopping power goes it will put you through the windshield.

Old 09/11/2012, 07:22 AM   #21
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Nice! We'll have to check each other cars out sometime. I'm interested to see what's all done to yours.

Old 09/14/2012, 08:10 PM   #22
Hodge
JDM Knight

Quote:
Nice! We'll have to check each other cars out sometime. I'm interested to see what's all done to yours.
For sure man! Got the rocker arm in last night, went to put the cas in this evening and all of the sudden my fuel line is leaking now...Talk about pissed off. I'm also thinking that that may have been part of the the hiccup issue being how when the fuel pressure may have gone up when in the gas and slowly started to leak...so off to autozone tmrw to see if they have any makeshift fuel line for the time being..as for the rest of tonite...I really need a beerr.

Old 09/15/2012, 08:03 PM   #23
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Quote:
For sure man! Got the rocker arm in last night, went to put the cas in this evening and all of the sudden my fuel line is leaking now...Talk about pissed off. I'm also thinking that that may have been part of the the hiccup issue being how when the fuel pressure may have gone up when in the gas and slowly started to leak...so off to autozone tmrw to see if they have any makeshift fuel line for the time being..as for the rest of tonite...I really need a beerr.
That would definitely explain the hiccup.

Old 09/19/2012, 09:43 PM   #24
Hodge
JDM Knight

Ordered a AN fitting but couldn't wait, so I went down to JR motorsports after work to get one. Came home put the new AN on. First couple of times trying to start it and it did not want to start. Finally got it to start and wouldn't stay idling, so I took a breather and took the valve cover back off and found that I installed the CAS incorrectly. So after putting it in the right way, syncing the ignition timing with the AEM V2 (which was a little difficult.) BOOM It fired right up. set the base timing and took it out for a little test drive. I took it very easy as you can see.

Link to videos.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...e=3&permPage=1

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...e=3&permPage=1

Old 09/20/2012, 07:33 AM   #25
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

It wont let me view either video. Also do you have rocker arm stoppers? If not you might consider getting some.