JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Manufacturer Forum > Toyota Forum

Old 12/15/2010, 03:41 AM   #1
Human Collapse
JDM Lover

Default Tail Light Tinting

Hey guys, I was just wondering if any of you who have/had tinted tail lights have ever had issues with cops? I was thinking of having mine tinted/smoked, but don't really want to attract MORE attention from the cops. Let me know! Thanks people!

2009 Scion tC RS 5.0 / 1990 Honda Accord EX
Old 12/15/2010, 09:24 AM   #2
THansenite
JDM Soldier

Default Re: Tail Light Tinting

I would suggest using a film tint as opposed to the spray on stuff. It is very easy to mess up the spray stuff, plus, if you do get heat about tinted tails, the vinyl stuff can peel off instead of having to buy new lights.

Current cars:
2004 Subaru Forester XT
1986 Mazda RX-7 GXL

Former owner of:
2005 Scion tC turbo
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
Old 12/16/2010, 12:00 AM   #3
95topless
JDM Soldier

Tinted tails aren't illegal, but that doesn't mean you won't get pulled over for it. But if someone rearends you it can be your fault since the tail lights wouldn't be as bright

Old 12/16/2010, 01:36 AM   #4
Human Collapse
JDM Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95topless View Post
Tinted tails aren't illegal, but that doesn't mean you won't get pulled over for it. But if someone rearends you it can be your fault since the tail lights wouldn't be as bright
I understand that, but I think it is bs because you can have a shitty old car that has dull lights, but that's fine...

2009 Scion tC RS 5.0 / 1990 Honda Accord EX
Old 12/16/2010, 09:44 AM   #5
95topless
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Collapse View Post
I understand that, but I think it is bs because you can have a shitty old car that has dull lights, but that's fine...
I agree.

Old 12/16/2010, 09:58 AM   #6
THansenite
JDM Soldier

This is the Iowa Code regarding taillight tint:

Quote:
321.387 Rear lamps

Every motor vehicle and every vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with a lighted rear lamp or lamps, exhibiting a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear. All lamps and lighting equipment originally manufactured on a motor vehicle shall be kept in working condition or shall be replaced with equivalent equipment.
Looks like as long as you can see red from 500 feet away, you are legal.

Current cars:
2004 Subaru Forester XT
1986 Mazda RX-7 GXL

Former owner of:
2005 Scion tC turbo
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
Old 12/24/2010, 12:22 PM   #7
XCLUZIVEAUTOWRKZ
"GANGMEMBER"

and the cops will say something about a film on them if you get pulled over.. but if they are sprayed the correct way.. they will light up like they are not tinted, and you will still be able to see the dot stamp on the lens so the cops cant say anything about it. if they can see that you can peel it off, they will try n make you pull if off if you get one of those kinda cops that dont have anything better to do

WE DO IT ALL, FROM PAINT TO FIBERGLASS, FRAME SECTIONING TO LIFTS, CONVERSIONS TO VERTICAL DOORS..

http://www.XCLUZIVEAUTOWORKZ.COM
Old 12/24/2010, 01:27 PM   #8
alexbuck205
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95topless View Post
they are illegal i did mine on my silverado pretty legit and they weren't to dark and i got a ticket for them at sailorville lake

92 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 410awhp
05 CBR 1000RR REPSOL
07 Acura TL-S
Old 12/24/2010, 08:25 PM   #9
XCLUZIVEAUTOWRKZ
"GANGMEMBER"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbuck205 View Post
they are illegal i did mine on my silverado pretty legit and they weren't to dark and i got a ticket for them at sailorville lake

you sir just got punked.. u let em talk you in into being illegal.. if you let them make you ook like you dont know nothing, then they can make anything illegal.. ive had mine and a customer of mine has went and had them inspected by the dmpd.. i did it after i got pulled for window tint and the cop tried to tell me they were illegal... exact words from the sgt i talked to." as long as they are light up properly like they are spose to, and are clearly visible from a safe distance and is not a "film" there is nothing that says they are illegal" especially when the DOT approved stamp is still on the lense and visible.

there is no law sayin tinted tails are illegal, but that aint gona stop some police officers from tellin you they are.. if you let them.. if your gona do stuff like this to your vehicle, know your shit before you do it.. and you will never get a ticket for em.. ive had mine for 4 yrs.. never got one single ticket.. at the same time have had 17 window tint tickets in the same vehicle, even had my registration suspended for window tint.. but not one ticket and/or warning for my lights.. front or rear..

WE DO IT ALL, FROM PAINT TO FIBERGLASS, FRAME SECTIONING TO LIFTS, CONVERSIONS TO VERTICAL DOORS..

http://www.XCLUZIVEAUTOWORKZ.COM
Old 12/30/2010, 09:41 AM   #10
THansenite
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbuck205 View Post
You must not have saw my post above. Straight from the Iowa Code:

Quote:
321.387 Rear lamps

Every motor vehicle and every vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with a lighted rear lamp or lamps, exhibiting a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear. All lamps and lighting equipment originally manufactured on a motor vehicle shall be kept in working condition or shall be replaced with equivalent equipment.

Current cars:
2004 Subaru Forester XT
1986 Mazda RX-7 GXL

Former owner of:
2005 Scion tC turbo
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX