JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Manufacturer Forum > Honda/Acura Forum > Honda CRX/Civic/Del Sol

Old 04/08/2013, 10:50 AM   #1
mike03
JDM King

Ques SRS light always on?

I own a 00 civic ex, ever since I put back my seat back on the light still on! Tried a thousand times to reset it but still comes on when it's started. What can I do to diagnose it and find a code if possible?

Checked the seat belt connector and it's seated properly. Not sure if I can recall but it appeared the srs connector from the cluster was off? Need help. This light is bothering me!

DD: 00' Civic Ex

94' Honda Civic Ex - sold
Old 04/08/2013, 12:55 PM   #2
onebad636
JDM Soldier

Default Re: SRS light always on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t4ds8ae9tM

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/11...srs-light.html

Those should do the trick! If you have a service connector it makes it a HELL of a lot easier! I was able to get mine the first shot. The sequence is super important, so make sure to do it the correct way. If it doesn't work the first try, do it a couple more times to make sure you did it the correct way. If that doesn't work, then you've still got something unplugged. Hope this helps, I know it worked for me 2 weeks ago.

Old 04/08/2013, 02:30 PM   #3
mike03
JDM King

Great find! I've been doing this with paper clips and it's such a b*tch to do! Had nothing but come back on after I start the vehicle. How precise does it have to be when the connection needs to be put together? I'm not sure if I'm doing this according to how quickly ait needs to be as mentioned on your search.

Old 04/08/2013, 06:06 PM   #4
mike03
JDM King

Success! I did in the first try and it work amazing! Thanks a lot man. I think I may have skipped a step that made it not completely reset the system.

This is the site I've been using for this method.

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=115880

By the way, I stilled used the paper clip and it still worked. Just the matter of counting seconds helped a lot!

Old 04/08/2013, 06:45 PM   #5
mike03
JDM King

Update: still came on when I started to drive anyone know how to diagnose srs system?

Old 04/08/2013, 07:54 PM   #6
deadmoans
JDM Knight

should be able to go to autozone or if you know someone with a scan tool. plug it into the data port and read it. Most shops can also scan it and it's hit or miss if they will charge you for the hook up fee. If you want them to diagnose they will charge but they may just scan and give you code for anywhere from $39 to $129.

did you spill anything on the seat belt or on the floor underneath the seats?

I believe there is going to be a connector under there and it can get dirty. have seen on some cars models where the tech bulletin is to clear the electrical connector for the SRS to the seat belt receiver. In fact, knew a lady that left her sun roof open when it rained on an Element and it damaged this connector.

Cheap, Fast or Reliable, You Can Only Choose Two.
Old 04/08/2013, 08:17 PM   #7
mike03
JDM King

I went to O'Reilly earlier today and they don't have an adapter to plug in to the port for the srs. Tried to do some research and couldn't find anything. My only option is going to the dealer. Haven't checked local shop just yet. I haven't spilled any drinks or anything. I removed my seat during winter season to get them fixed and that's the only thing I have done. I made sure the connection was seated correctly.

I can't think of anything else that could possibly set this cel code.

Old 04/08/2013, 08:29 PM   #8
deadmoans
JDM Knight

here's another link to reset it.

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/11...srs-light.html.

This could be in the airbag. I believe the SRS system for this car includes the airbag system as well.

Just be cause the connector on the seat belt is seated correctly does not mean it's making contact. Check the pins see if there's dirt or corrosion.

another link: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=189094. This one gives the codes as well. Use the jumper and the srs light will flash the code. Then you can look up the code and find diagnostic steps.

Old 04/09/2013, 04:51 PM   #9
mike03
JDM King

Wish It wasn't so ugly out to try this out. will have to check my connector and see how it looks from the inside.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the air bag? You mean could the problem be either one of the airbags default or malfunctioning?? An another thing was, could it be possible to use the same paper clip process as it was done in order to reset the srs light?

Thanks for your help!

Hopefully this help to narrow down the problem and see if it can be fixed.

Old 04/10/2013, 12:08 PM   #10
onebad636
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmoans View Post
here's another link to reset it.

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/11...srs-light.html.

This could be in the airbag. I believe the SRS system for this car includes the airbag system as well.

Just be cause the connector on the seat belt is seated correctly does not mean it's making contact. Check the pins see if there's dirt or corrosion.

another link: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=189094. This one gives the codes as well. Use the jumper and the srs light will flash the code. Then you can look up the code and find diagnostic steps.
EXCELLENT! That second link is straight out of the Helms manual, which is what I used to get the code for my SRS light. This works the exact same way as pulling CEL codes (obviously 2 separate jumper harnesses). Make sure you count the code(s) a few times to make sure it isn't showing more than one code. Write them down, and post them up here, we'll be able to steer you in the direction you need! Good luck

Old 04/14/2013, 03:17 PM   #11
mike03
JDM King

Hey guys, sorry for I took so long to post back. Went and pulled out the service port out today. Attached the clips and code came out. Now, to figure out what the problem is.

I made a video in showing how I pulled out the code. Hope this help for you guys!
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...FDC7136733.mp4

Need to find out what the code means and I'm not certain in how to read it. Need help. Much granted!

Old 04/15/2013, 12:33 PM   #12
onebad636
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike03 View Post
Hey guys, sorry for I took so long to post back. Went and pulled out the service port out today. Attached the clips and code came out. Now, to figure out what the problem is.

I made a video in showing how I pulled out the code. Hope this help for you guys!
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...FDC7136733.mp4

Need to find out what the code means and I'm not certain in how to read it. Need help. Much granted!
Alright, so after looking at the video I think I know what's happening..... but I may be wrong. If you are checking codes for your SRS, you need to use the SRS service connector, not the CEL connector! The SRS connector is under the driver's side, NOT THE PASSENGER (this is where I may be wrong, but I'm pretty certain all 96-00 civics utilize essentially the same dash harness layout with a few exceptions). The SRS service connector is located on the top side of the fuse block.

So here is my recommendation.... pull the code using the SRS connector, and take a video when you do it as well. Also, try the clearing procedure again, as doing it on the CEL service plug is NOT going to clear the SRS light.

Once again, I may not be correct... however, I do know that on my EM1 the way I'm telling you to do it took care of the light first time. Let us know what you find out, good luck!

Old 04/15/2013, 04:27 PM   #13
onebad636
JDM Soldier

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=189094

This will tell you what is wrong once you pull the codes. Straight from the Bible (Helms manual)

If you get the correct code (I saw 1-1 on the video, but may not be correct since you were using the CEL plug) I have a Helms manual, and would be more than willing to take pics of the troubleshooting procedure per your specific code.

Last edited by onebad636; 04/15/2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04/15/2013, 07:23 PM   #14
mike03
JDM King

I followed the directions it gave me. I want to find out what is causing my light to stay on. I'm not certain in how to read its code. It gave me 2 flashes and towards the last was a quick flash then it stayed on. I made sure I did correctly so I did this a few times and still came out with the same result.

I believe I may have done this right. I retrieve the code. I can't erase until it's been fixed.
I have a book as well. I did not realize it came with all it's troubleshooting lol
Overall it had 3 blinks and it stayed on. What code number is this?

Also, I just realized, when I reset my srs system and drove it, I believe it came on when the steering wheel was moved. But to be certain, I will have to verify again to make sure. Noticed that first set of codes that are listed, comes up for the drivers side air bag. Maybe it's problem is by the drivers side?

If anyone can help out in troubleshooting and figuring out the code.

Thanks for all the help again!

Old 04/17/2013, 03:41 PM   #15
mike03
JDM King

Bump. Still need help

Old 04/19/2013, 10:34 PM   #16
onebad636
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike03 View Post
Bump. Still need help
Did you try to clear the light with the SRS plug (under driver's side dash)? Or just the CEL plug? You have not made that clear, as your video shows you using the wrong plug.

And to add to what code you have, you have a 1-1. I saw one single flash (about a second) and a short flash (total 2 flashes), and then the light stays on.

Before we go any further, take a video of you bridging the SRS connector and showing the code just like you did last time..... but on the SRS connector this time.

Last edited by onebad636; 04/19/2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04/20/2013, 06:36 AM   #17
mike03
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad636 View Post
Did you try to clear the light with the SRS plug (under driver's side dash)? Or just the CEL plug? You have not made that clear, as your video shows you using the wrong plug.

And to add to what code you have, you have a 1-1. I saw one single flash (about a second) and a short flash (total 2 flashes), and then the light stays on.

Before we go any further, take a video of you bridging the SRS connector and showing the code just like you did last time..... but on the SRS connector this time.
Maybe everything I did was wrong? I will try to get this going today. Would this mean I have an open wiring at my driver side air bag?

Onebad636 I will shoot a video when I reset my light and see if something comes up. Hopefully I get the correct result.

Thanks again for your advise and help!

Hopefully this gets resolved and could be helpful for others with the same problems

Old 04/21/2013, 06:03 PM   #18
deadmoans
JDM Knight

From watching your video I would say you have an SRS DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) of 1-1 or 11.

According to the this link: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=189094, it is an "Open in driver's airbag inflator." This same link also has the troubleshooting guide.

A couple of things: When you plug into the DTC connector on the passenger side you can pull the DTC codes for either the Engine Light or the SRS system. Depending on which system has a failure will flash the corresponding light on the dash.

The CES connector on the driver's side by the fuse box is to clear memory.

CLEARING THE SRS CODE WILL NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. THAT'S WHY IT KEEPS COMING BACK ON. YOU HAVE A REPAIR THAT HAS TO BE MADE.

Based on what you said about the steering wheel being moved when the light came on would lead me to believe that you have a wiring issue in the steering column. Check the link above for troubleshooting.

Here's a link where a guys says he is a honda tech and that the SRS might be covered under lifetime warranty: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1892098.

Scour Honda-tech.com. There is a shitload of info about this.

If all else fails....take it to honda or a good reputable independent shop. I recommend Scott's Automotive on SE 14th St, they are in the old OK Tire location. They pretty much have any specialized tool that might be needed.

Old 04/22/2013, 12:39 PM   #19
onebad636
JDM Soldier

Quote:
From watching your video I would say you have an SRS DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) of 1-1 or 11.

According to the this link: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=189094, it is an "Open in driver's airbag inflator." This same link also has the troubleshooting guide.

A couple of things: When you plug into the DTC connector on the passenger side you can pull the DTC codes for either the Engine Light or the SRS system. Depending on which system has a failure will flash the corresponding light on the dash.

The CES connector on the driver's side by the fuse box is to clear memory.

CLEARING THE SRS CODE WILL NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. THAT'S WHY IT KEEPS COMING BACK ON. YOU HAVE A REPAIR THAT HAS TO BE MADE.

Based on what you said about the steering wheel being moved when the light came on would lead me to believe that you have a wiring issue in the steering column. Check the link above for troubleshooting.

Here's a link where a guys says he is a honda tech and that the SRS might be covered under lifetime warranty: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1892098.

Scour Honda-tech.com. There is a shitload of info about this.

If all else fails....take it to honda or a good reputable independent shop. I recommend Scott's Automotive on SE 14th St, they are in the old OK Tire location. They pretty much have any specialized tool that might be needed.
Did not realize that you could pull codes from the DTC connector for the SRS system... hot damn! However, I will say that I used the CES connector to find my code, so both work evidently.

I guess we need to figure out which side the code was cleared from.... or does it matter?

Old 04/22/2013, 08:03 PM   #20
deadmoans
JDM Knight

that is a good question. i would say from the CES side. But, can you clear like an engine light....disconnect the battery, my bet is you cannot since it's a "safety" issue. This of course assumes he fixes the problem.

Old 04/22/2013, 10:19 PM   #21
onebad636
JDM Soldier

Quote:
that is a good question. i would say from the CES side. But, can you clear like an engine light....disconnect the battery, my bet is you cannot since it's a "safety" issue. This of course assumes he fixes the problem.
I do know that you CAN NOT clear the SRS code by disconnecting the battery (like resetting the CEL), so that is why I am curious as to being able to clear the SRS light from both plug locations.