JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Manufacturer Forum > Subaru Forum

Old 07/10/2011, 04:40 AM   #1
mattcossel29
jackstand ballin

Default need WRX info

I am looking at different options and have considered the WRX. Is there anything I need to look at specifically if I find one I like? I am leaning towards older ones because they are obviously cheaper. What are the weaknesses of them throughout the years if any? I know while working at a shop we put a couple rear ends in outbacks, is this an issue with the WRX as well?

Romans 6:23 - "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord."

Old 07/10/2011, 10:02 AM   #2
BR8KNNX
JDM Knight

Default Re: need WRX info

I had 3 of them 03 04 and 05 I wouldn't recommend it since I had bad luck. Rod bearings get spun really easy and Subaru dealership wanted 7k to fix it. They are nice cars especially in winter but when something breaks its not cheap. I know 02s have really weak tranny so stay away from those. When it comes to these cars its really hard to find one with stock engine and usually ppl beat them to death. If uu plan on getting one spend few bucks do carfex report and take it to subby dealership and have them look at it especially for knocking noises.

Old 07/12/2011, 07:47 AM   #3
bukChans
JDM Soldier

I bought my 2002 WRX 50k 5 years ago... now 139k, stock, pushed hard, my DD/family, lowered on springs, upped boost to 16psi (back to stock 14.5 psi now), Catback ONLY, stilll on my stock clutch and tranny, never had one single issue yet. Oil changed at 3k with fully syn oil. I did have to replace the radiator which is no problem so I went with a dual core radiator. Yes, you are correct about the weak tranny on the 02-03 but really its from people dropping 5k clutch on a AWD car. This car is not made for qtr mile runs but it is capable of with mods like any other cars thats done right. they are great Autox or track car. just not 1/4 mile runs. if you are really interested in the wrx's try looking for the 06-07. Those motors are upped to 2.5L rather then 2.0 in the 02-05s. Visit Nasioc, or Clubwrx. A lot of info there.

2001lude - sucks that you had bad feelings about wrx's. I came from the honda scene myself. did you happen to buy any of those stock?

02 Subie WRX - turbo spooling at 12 mph!
06 Civic LX
Old 07/12/2011, 07:48 AM   #4
bukChans
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001lude View Post
I had 3 of them 03 04 and 05 I wouldn't recommend it since I had bad luck. Rod bearings get spun really easy and Subaru dealership wanted 7k to fix it. They are nice cars especially in winter but when something breaks its not cheap. I know 02s have really weak tranny so stay away from those. When it comes to these cars its really hard to find one with stock engine and usually ppl beat them to death. If uu plan on getting one spend few bucks do carfex report and take it to subby dealership and have them look at it especially for knocking noises.
and dont go to Ramsey Subaru. They will rape you.

06 Civic LX
Old 07/12/2011, 04:53 PM   #5
BR8KNNX
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukChans View Post
I bought my 2002 WRX 50k 5 years ago... now 139k, stock, pushed hard, my DD/family, lowered on springs, upped boost to 16psi (back to stock 14.5 psi now), Catback ONLY, stilll on my stock clutch and tranny, never had one single issue yet. Oil changed at 3k with fully syn oil. I did have to replace the radiator which is no problem so I went with a dual core radiator. Yes, you are correct about the weak tranny on the 02-03 but really its from people dropping 5k clutch on a AWD car. This car is not made for qtr mile runs but it is capable of with mods like any other cars thats done right. they are great Autox or track car. just not 1/4 mile runs. if you are really interested in the wrx's try looking for the 06-07. Those motors are upped to 2.5L rather then 2.0 in the 02-05s. Visit Nasioc, or Clubwrx. A lot of info there.

2001lude - sucks that you had bad feelings about wrx's. I came from the honda scene myself. did you happen to buy any of those stock?
04 was stock with hail damage i fixed most of it tranny was acting up.
05- spun rod bearing had few mods
03- stock same issue with tranny mainly not being able to shift into 3rd but clutch was good no slipping.

If you really want to buy one i would def go for stock and make sure you buy from someone who is in their 40-50s because it has been taken care of for sure usually ppl in 20's beat crap out of them.

Old 07/19/2011, 07:31 AM   #6
deadmoans
JDM Knight

with 2001lude on this one....had an 04 wrx spun rod bearing at 12,000 miles. it was fixed under warranty at Ramsey. they pretty much rebuilt the entire engine.

and the 2.5L have head gasket issues on the turbo models.

Cheap, Fast or Reliable, You Can Only Choose Two.
Old 07/19/2011, 07:35 AM   #7
deadmoans
JDM Knight

oh yea, it had a little problem from the get go that drove me fucking nuts.....you couldn't downshift to first at a stop light unless you were almost completely stopped, I mean you had to be going less than 5 miles per hour. so if the light changed to green while you were slowing down you had no choice but to chug along in second gear.

Old 07/19/2011, 10:59 AM   #8
bukChans
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmoans View Post
oh yea, it had a little problem from the get go that drove me fucking nuts.....you couldn't downshift to first at a stop light unless you were almost completely stopped, I mean you had to be going less than 5 miles per hour. so if the light changed to green while you were slowing down you had no choice but to chug along in second gear.
you guys problem makes me love my 02 lol. i must have the good batch.. besides AC going out this spring..

Kelly- do you do AC service? i need to find out what is wrong with it.. compressor wont even kick in.

06 Civic LX
Old 07/20/2011, 08:44 PM   #9
deadmoans
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukChans View Post
you guys problem makes me love my 02 lol. i must have the good batch.. besides AC going out this spring..

Kelly- do you do AC service? i need to find out what is wrong with it.. compressor wont even kick in.
yes we do. its 69.95 for a/c service plus 24.50 per pound of r134a. then 80 an hour if that doesn't resolve the problem.

you really have to start with a baseline and do the service and then go from there.

there's a low and high pressure switch so if it has too much r134 it will not allow the compressor to kick on to protect it and guess what the low pressure switch does.

Old 11/01/2011, 01:50 AM   #10
crvtec54
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmoans View Post
i am so glad i happened to catch this post. this has been DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!! syncro? or is that some crazy subaru thing??

and i know this thread is kinda old, but i love my '02. i have put 10,000 miles on it in two months and the only issue (minus the 4th and 5th gear syncros that have acted up since purchase..) has been the ac compressor..belt snapped but i have yet to determine if it is because it locked up or the belt was just bad. other than that its just time for general maintenance thats been overlooked..nothing serious. i absolutely love it.

Last edited by crvtec54; 11/01/2011 at 01:52 AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvO-X View Post
guess us americans just love our firebirds with the whip cb antennas and the crager torque thrusts...yeehaw! stars and bars!
http://i.imgur.com/72jrv8J.gif