JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Drag/AutoX/Road Course Racing

Old 09/21/2008, 09:06 PM   #1
voidths
JDM Soldier

Default MAM - Sept 27th

Just an fyi in case anyone is interested...FTL track day at MAM this Saturday.

Registration is open: http://findtheline.com/eventreg

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius...

My videos: youtube.com/voidths
Old 09/22/2008, 10:10 AM   #2
2point
JDM Knight

Default Re: MAM - Sept 27th

I can't go

Tim, are you destroying your before cage and suspension laptimes or ???

oops I switched back.. .
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09/22/2008, 08:16 PM   #3
voidths
JDM Soldier

I've been running on the stock suspension almost all season, (with swift springs), because of the crappy build quality of the race coilovers I had. It's a long story but almost ended up killing me on the track. But the good news is I'm running the same times as last season...Which is good considering the weight I added with the roll cage.

I have a new set of coilovers sitting here that I haven't had time to install...I'm thinking that will be (one of) the winter projects

Old 09/22/2008, 08:35 PM   #4
2point
JDM Knight

hmm, which ones did you buy so I can stay away from them? Front or rear failure?

What do you have waiting in the wings now?

I'm seriously thinking about dropping 2500 - 3Gs for a set of KW var 3s or clubsports the next time I buy coilovers. Stainless steel, rebound & compression settings, helper springs, extra(attached) oil reservoir which doesn't classify you in a remote reservoir category. Only matters if you care about points and weight related to race prep rules.

oops I switched back.. .
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09/23/2008, 06:53 PM   #5
voidths
JDM Soldier

KW's are awesome. I was going to do the KW's but ended up getting a pretty good deal on a new set of Megan Racing Track coilovers. The broken ones are still here if anyone needs a set, cheap

I'd rather not say the company on here, but lets just say if I had a pic of the pure crap you could tune in and see them

The fronts failed going into the 5-6 complex at g'man. I was doing about 95 braking for turn 5, and when I hit the apex the fronts gave out. It felt like my steering was totally gone. I had to turn the wheel almost a full turn to get it to make the turn. With the way the camber was so f'ed up, the wheels probably would have grabbed dirt and flipped the car if I went off the track. Luckly I was able to get the car turned and my brakes and mind were fresh enough to save it.

When I limped it back to the pits I had at least -9 degrees of camber on the front left and about -6 on the front right. Steering was essentially gone.

The problem was the threaded height adjusters part buckled and wouldn't tighten so they bent in the middle. The bottom where it bolts to the knuckle is made out of some type of butter metal. The holes wore so bad that they almost wore completely through. Yea, these saw about a half mile of track time...

Last edited by voidths; 09/23/2008 at 06:56 PM.

Old 09/24/2008, 12:14 AM   #6
2point
JDM Knight

AHH I C I C.

Well good to hear you saved it! Actually I found a killer deal on KW var 3s only 1915 from vividracing now! Not sure how long that will last though. The clubsports are significantly more expensive for some reason.. . http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/k...4-p-14418.html

Good luck with this next set! I don't know anything about the megan racing stuff.

I've always wondered if MAC strut cars have had problems with AL material coilovers. I guess there are cases . After looking at the mac strut setup closely, I have rationalized in my mind that the AL material coilovers should probably be passed over for a quality steel. The weight savings isn't worth a wreck and or injury.

Old 09/24/2008, 06:08 PM   #7
voidths
JDM Soldier

Wow that is a good deal. And yea I agree, the performance in weight savings isn't all that much for what we are doing. I'd rather lose a couple seconds per lap compared to what could happen when a failure occurs.

As always, I'll get video and pics posted up

Old 09/25/2008, 11:44 AM   #8
blacksheep
JDM King

megans are decent, Tim. Jeremy and I run them, but they do have their own issues.Will update you in person, if we ever meet :)

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 #205/1000
Old 09/25/2008, 09:53 PM   #9
voidths
JDM Soldier

At least they won't fall apart on me on the track, (I hope) :)

Heh, One of these day's we'll meet up again :)

Old 09/26/2008, 12:46 AM   #10
2point
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidths View Post

Heh, One of these day's we'll meet up again :)
hmm.. . We will see. I don't know if I will ever drive back to Midwest from AZ but now that I have a new 08 Civic Si, long distance trips seem closer to reality than with the 350Z.

MAM track day here I come! KWs, rims and 235/40/17 Dunlop derieza Star specs in future, maybe, possibly most likely

Tim, I hope to catch up to you at some racetrack. You still owe me a ride! Maybe you should road trip to a TT with NASA at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah. I will pit crew for you! I'm good at taking air pressures and stuff

Old 09/26/2008, 02:17 PM   #11
voidths
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point View Post
Tim, I hope to catch up to you at some racetrack. You still owe me a ride! Maybe you should road trip to a TT with NASA at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah. I will pit crew for you! I'm good at taking air pressures and stuff
Actually, that is a possibility next summer. I'm getting bored with always going East for track days. MAM is the only track West I've been to so, yea, we shall see...

Old 09/27/2008, 08:27 AM   #12
2point
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidths View Post
Actually, that is a possibility next summer. I'm getting bored with always going East for track days. MAM is the only track West I've been to so, yea, we shall see...

That would be very cool if you came out west. I'd come out. Just give me a heads up about a month in advance so I can take work off and whatever.. . Possibly prep the car as well