JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Drag/AutoX/Road Course Racing

Old 09/06/2008, 12:47 AM   #1
Whiteshadow
JDM Soldier

Default a fun weekend of racing at mam!

i finally took a little time off work recently to get moved into my new house, spend some time with my dad who was visiting, and do a little racing. i raced with many of you at the speedway a couple weeks back, and told you how pumped i was to return to mam in a car that doesnt suck.

i arrived on saturday night in omaha to a lot full of trailered cars. one in particular was a 2004 ce z06 with light wheels, brand new 315 v710 tires front and rear, exhaust at least, and a bunch of track car parts. damn, i am going to be racing for 2nd place. i saw a few other cars as well that looked like they meant business.

sunday morning, and we head to mid america center for the low speed autocross. its fairly open like a good track should be, yet technical. i figured i may have a chance here if i get the car dialed in right. one car in particular worried me, a 2006 z06 with the same shocks i am running, and big sticky hoosiers. long story short, i end the day with a 39.6, jeff (06 z06 guy) runs 40.2, and dad runs 40.2 in my car. yay, the ftd streak continues! until tomorrow at mam... where horsepower rules. blast!

so we get to mam on monday, and more serious cars show up. terry is a regular at mam, and races his car with nasa. its got wings and what not, its ready to race. terry gives me shit, because i spent about 30 minutes washing and drying my car, knowing it will be dirty again shortly. why is everybody always pickin on me?! im a waxer!!

anyways, our club runs the timing a little different than most. due to the club only having soo much cord for timing lights, we set them on the straightaway right next to pit lane. we enter the track by going out the entrance of pit road, pulling a u-turn, then going hammer down. in essence, our times are around 2 seconds slower than what a true flying lap would be.

the track record for my class was a 1:40.8, set by a driver that i have a hard time with at most events. terry was already talking about taking down that record, damnit. i said i was going to try my best though! so i did, and ran a 1:39.8. second run, i got down to 1:38.8. yes, i got the record! only two corvettes have ever gone faster with the nccc corvette clubs, and they both were race cars, the fastest running a 1:37.3! damn, im close! i know exactly wher to make up the time too! my next run, i screwed up the tire pressures, and wound up damn near loosing it on the increasing radius turn ( instead of spinning, i damn near drifted the entire turn, it was fun!). and the following run, i pushed too hard in a few places and started spinning the tires, losing time which dropped me to 1:39.4 i believe. after that, we had to pack up and leave in a hurry, with me reluctantly giving up my final two runs o that i could get dad to the airport. no one else got into the 1:30's that day, not even the race cars.

before i left, i talked to terry again, who advised he normally runs 1:38's consistently here with a full hot lap, and he was only into the high 1:41 range i believe. i think with a full lap a 1:36 or 1:35 may be posible which has to be close to the t1 record! im floored at this point!

we change tires, and head for home. (btw, we averaged 30.1 mpg on the way down, and a little less on the return trip with the a/c on and higher speeds!) not bad for a chevy!

for the haters: my car
2002 z06 corvette
bone stock motor
t1 sway bars
pfadt sport shocks
hawk pads
kumho v710 rubber
thats its!

i now think i have the longest post in a while, but i had to vent a little bit. it has been a fun last couple weeks of racing!

cliff notes:

ran 1:38.8 at mam in the corvette club format, which does not allow for a good start, resulting in times about 2 seconds slower than they would be with scca or any other group.

averaged 30.1 mpg on the way to omaha

ftd on sunday's event at mid america center

wondering how much faster 2point would be ahead of me in his car...... hehehehehe!

i will have pics and such from the weekend when i get internet to the new house. this took an hour to write up on my phone! ahhh!

Last edited by Whiteshadow; 09/06/2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09/07/2008, 02:35 PM   #2
racin jasin
JDM legend

Default Re: a fun weekend of racing at mam!

nice!!!thats my driver!!!!

Old 09/08/2008, 06:14 AM   #3
dinko
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshadow View Post
why is everybody always pickin on me?! im a waxer!!
lol oh shit u crack me up!

adi told me u got the record. im sure u had to drive like a bat outta hell to beat some race prepped car's record hah. i wouldn't even think about running from deputy brian earl whiteshadow

Old 09/08/2008, 10:41 AM   #4
2point
JDM Knight

Quote:
the track record for my class was a 1:40.8, set by a driver that i have a hard time with at most events. terry was already talking about taking down that record, damnit. i said i was going to try my best though! so i did, and ran a 1:39.8. second run, i got down to 1:38.8. yes, i got the record!

wondering how much faster 2point would be ahead of me in his car...... hehehehehe!
Nice work! I am impressed you ran so fast. You and your car must have just been spot on! sub 1:39s puts you in somewhat of an elite group for prepped and non-prepped cars. It just too bad you didn't do it in SCCA fashion.

Nice poke My best is a 1:46:5 or so in a CIVIC.. . I think you got me beat

I have a 350Z now and I live in Arizona. Haven't hit the track. I will sometime this winter while you guys are shoveling snow

good to hear you actually got out to the track. As I remember from multiple posts i've read, your work and or work ethic cripples your track time. Terrible shame.. .

Old 09/09/2008, 12:38 AM   #5
Whiteshadow
JDM Soldier

haha yeah i had to poke, all in good fun!

and i think om of the guys can vouch that my work has all but killed my opportunities to race this year. last weekend was my third weekend of racing all year. its a shame, and like i said it had been two years since the last time i was at mam. i should just quit working, and just use food stamps to paay for the events!

i am really anxious to find out what my time wouldve been if i hd the correct run up. i was just about into third going through the start lights, and when i would finish on the same straight, i would be using up all of third. if i go by what terry said about the 2 econd difference betweeen timing styles, 1:35s are possible with a flying lap! i will have to test this theory soon...

pics to come if i ever get internet in this hous!!! damn mediacom!!!

Old 09/09/2008, 11:54 AM   #6
racin jasin
JDM legend

i would love to go, and be on your pit crew!no need for a jack i can lift your car!!!!

let me know if you go i might have to work..

Old 09/09/2008, 02:11 PM   #7
2point
JDM Knight

Quote:
haha yeah i had to poke, all in good fun!

i am really anxious to find out what my time wouldve been if i hd the correct run up. i was just about into third going through the start lights, and when i would finish on the same straight, i would be using up all of third. if i go by what terry said about the 2 econd difference betweeen timing styles, 1:35s are possible with a flying lap! i will have to test this theory soon...
2 justfiy the 2 seconds by "Theory" I'd need to know more about where you guys started from.

I can't remember exactly how long that straight is but to make up 2 seconds in a 1/3 mile run, mathmatically (I think) you would need to carry an average speed of ~4mph more than you did in you record CC run. For reference that would equate to be about ~8mph more at the begining of the breaking zone. This non exact calculation figure holds the same starting speed (0mph) and point constant with 1760ft total covered.

regardless, it seems like they need to re-evaluate their TT starts. I realize why they do it like that though. Keep things safe and as consistent as possible.

If you can get a 1:35 at MAM, you should start doing some TT events with that car. You would win some trophies and probably set a record or two. If I had that ability and setup, I'd try and get my name in the books. I'm not a an accomplished racer so it probably means more to me than someone that has already raced in a series or two though.. .

work when you are at work, sleep when you are in the house, race and work on cars with the rest of the time.

track map for referece to on lookers not familiar with MAM
http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/2006/rc_maps.asp

Old 09/13/2008, 09:47 AM   #8
dinko
JDM Knight

that's what i dont understand is why you insist on having a job when you could be out there smoking hemmingway and the like hah. i hope you at least hit up a nat'l competition with that car brian. i'll be right back i'm gonna go start the whiteshadow fan club...

flickr

Old 09/13/2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Whiteshadow
JDM Soldier

Haha, well for one Chuck is one hell of a driver. He's been racing FOREVER, if I remember correctly I watched him race in a sports car race during the Greater Des Moines Ruan Gran Prix in the early 90's racing this:

But yeah, I'd sure love to be able to quit this job and start racing professionally! I still have a lot of learning to do as well, but maybe next year I'll try out a national event and see where I stack up. I think the way the car sits, I'd do alright in SCCA. I'd love to do the Nasa TT at MAM sometime, I guess I just never knew they actually went out there.

I'm still pissed to this day that I had to purchase a tired Spec Miata, instead of one that could be competitive. I drove the damn wheels off that car, and was still getting pulled on the straights by a million car lengths. I thought about renting a Kraft car, but then I realized how much money I'd be spending with the possibility of crashing it and losing more money. Maybe one day I'll get back into a real race car again!

Old 09/14/2008, 10:39 PM   #10
2point
JDM Knight

Quote:
Maybe one day I'll get back into a real race car again!
real is what you make it brotha!

Get the c5 to min requirements and do some TT. ya never know, a sponsorship here and there might show up and get you the tires to string together some good track sessions. Even if it doesn't turn out to anything beneficial it's all good. Guys like us aren't in it for the money.

I just watched a few sessions of NASA at PIR on Saturday. Some amazing cars and pretty good drivers out here.

Be fast and be safe! GL