JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Manufacturer Forum > Mazda Forum

Old 04/11/2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Iowan82
JDM Soldier

Default FC 88 Convertible restoration/project

I bought an 88 Vert from a guy in Illinois nice guy and all his dad not so much i asked them if the title was clean and they both said yes..waited for the title to come in the mail it finally did and it had a prior salvage..i wasn't happy but i picked her up for $800 so im not extremely pissed but the dad could have been up front anyways....

When i bought the car it was not running. Still isn't ive had her for a month and a half roughly.

The car has a new motor in it and has new parts the kid had blown the last motor and replaced it and ran out of funds so thats how i got it.

Basically we had to pull the Intake manifold to rewire the wiring system around that and through it put new O-rings on the injectors. After getting it rewired we put the manifold back together and connected the vacuum lines that we knew went to it. (the previous owner or the people that worked on the car didn't mark anything which really blows trying to do the lines and wiring....just saying. we got the starter mounted and wired up then the alternator is ghetto rigged atm but the Alternator Strap (Bracket) is hopfully coming in this week. Got all the belts and fans hooked up and shes starting to come together. Engine does have compression

This is her the first day i got it. instantly on jack stands :)

As of right now she looks slightly handicapped but she was hit by a dear and we had to get the fender off and that light needed readjusted so i unbolted it and am in the process of banging out the fender which really doesn't look that bad i just want proper lights hah

Engine Bay as of right now

Front of intake/Alternator

Left side of engine as you can see not all vacuum lines are connected still trying to figure that one out...also need an O2 sensor lol

Behind the motor hopefully that throttle cable is hooked up right it seems to be and the wiring sucks but oh well

Right side of engine the electrical crap on this side was the reason the intake had to come off

Pressure sensor Line i seriously wanna find out where that goes no diagrams show directly that i have found..and its kind of confusing but if you have knowledge of it let me know!

Battery changed to top port side port blows...

INTERIOR:
looks bad in the pic but when i got it it wasn't to bad just not in my taste i do like the red and black tho. look into dyes for the dash because its currently gray right now. but it does look sweet. the center vents use to be a wire of some sort just mounted in there and the stereo was surrounded by Diamond Plating hah not for me :/ the seat is taken out because i wanted to look into getting them redone but thats 700+ for the place i went to and i told them i can get seat covers for a better price than that hah. but the top is also down only because its all mangled up and needs a new one or if its fixable then it needs fixed(highly doubt it but whatever hah)

My center dash...looks like crap now only because it needed help pretty bad...not that it didn't look bad it just wasn't my tastes lol and that Kenwood is for sale ;)

The diamond plating

The center vents

Also can anyone tell me what the hell these rims are...i have been trying to figure it out i love the look on the Rx but i have no idea what the make and model of them are...help would be appreciated with these as well :)

Please leave the haters behind and don't worry to the people that hate rotary/mazda my DD is a 98 honda Civic LX sad its a 4 door automatic but its still honda and that thing will run forever lol

P.S. This car is not supported by Mommy and Daddy...

http://photobucket.com/MyRx7projecto

Last edited by Iowan82; 07/01/2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04/11/2012, 08:59 AM   #2
The Laser
JDM King

Default Re: FC 88 Convertible restoration/project

Looks like a fun project. Are your plans with similar to mine (get it road worthy and be a weekend warrior)? That sucks about the salvage title, but for $800 you would think something would come with it lol.

"does this have V-tec? i bet it has V-tec"
"V-tec is for fags. This has boost"
Old 04/11/2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Iowan82
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laser View Post
Looks like a fun project. Are your plans with similar to mine (get it road worthy and be a weekend warrior)? That sucks about the salvage title, but for $800 you would think something would come with it lol.
kind of the same idea more of a nice day crusier :) hah dream car so idk if she'll race or not well see when that day comes haha

Old 04/30/2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Iowan82
JDM Soldier

Update:
The good:

Got my Alternator Bracket and put it on pulled the tires off and put the seats back in found the pressure sensor placement and got a new battery. Attempted to do a little body work and it went decently. Fixed my bumper slightly did a little modification to it nothing serious i personally think it looks clear. Also made it so that my drivers side light will go up and down thank god lol. That's the good part..

The bad:
Plugged in my battery the other day and my engine and what not started to turn...i didn't have my keys in it or anything.. took the battery off and now redid my starter learned my drivers side door the key doesn't fit in. Not sure how i didn't notice it earlier but oh well haha. After pulling my tires off i learned my rear break line on the drivers side is crimped together with a vice grip and some wire then I looked at the other side and i realized there wasn't a caliper on there at all...i have the caliper i just didn't realize it was for that tire until i took the tire off. My exhaust was a joke...it wasn't connected to the car at all and was just hanging there with some wire and two of those rubber things that are a bitch to get off so I think I'm either going to attempt to make a new exhaust and get a new resonator and what not or just have a shop do it either way its not what i want to happen lol

The Ugly:

Pulled the bumper off to make modifications

Light fixture is and mounting for bumper/fender is all screwy but fixed

Support bar stopping the light is back on and out of the way

Fenders back on and looks better

Its not perfect but its my best that's about all I can say for it.

Bumper cut the middle piece out and it doesn't look to bad even tho i used a Hack saw and some sand paper please don't ridicule by ways I'm not exactly made of money so I use what I have and it doesn't look bad in my mind

Still have to bolt the bumper up all the way but one of the screws broke I'm running to Ace soon

Front view of bumper

My break line that's crimped together with vice grips...

My tires that I still don't know the name of...(doesn't say it on the back)