Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Manufacturer Forum > Mazda Forum

Old 03/16/2012, 07:27 PM   #1
The Laser
JDM King

Default My 1990 Rx7 vert

Please excuse the lack of punctuation. It's a
Bitch on an iPhone.

Bought a red rx7 vert from frijol on here. Had cut racing beat springs and KYB AGX adjustables. Thing bounced to high hell but was surprisingly smooth for being cut springs. Started taking most of the interior apart after finding out that the stereo didn't work very well. Took off the shifter surround and saw that there was no inner boot and the middle boot was completely ripped to shit. I don't have pics of the tear down but I do of the most recent stuff I've done. After getting my taxes back, I invested in some brand new racing beat springs and middle boot. Went on vacation this last Monday and my GF's mom let us know that my middle boot arrived. Came back Wednesday night and saw my springs sitting on the steps ^_^

Super excited to the point I was petting it in my arm lol. Had to wait til today to get them in. But also decided to get a custom leather shift boot and miata short shifter off eBay for under $80. A mazdatrix short shifter is $200, while the miata one was $30 and all I have to do is shave the end part down a little bit and it will work like a charm. Hopefully will get it all. Ext week. Anyway, finally got the old springs out and realized just how cut they were. I'll let the pics speak for themselves lol.
Before and old vs new pics

Fronts

Rears

Finally installed

After

Also, the shifter middle boot temp install

While putting in the springs, I discover the rear calipers are slightly locked up, so thats next on my list along with either getting an aftermarket stereo or stock one or even just cover it up with some aluminum plate, but time will tell. Hopefully more to come soon.

"does this have V-tec? i bet it has V-tec"
"V-tec is for fags. This has boost"
Old 03/19/2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Iowan82
JDM Soldier

Default Re: My 1990 Rx7 vert

I have an 88 vert at home that im redoing my right motor for the top is locked up and the engine is put back together very slowly haha. You should post pics of the engine bay especially behind the motor and to the sides haha the last kid put a new motor in it then didn't follow through with it. almost got it all together though

Old 03/20/2012, 08:27 AM   #3
The Laser
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowan82 View Post
I have an 88 vert at home that im redoing my right motor for the top is locked up and the engine is put back together very slowly haha. You should post pics of the engine bay especially behind the motor and to the sides haha the last kid put a new motor in it then didn't follow through with it. almost got it all together though
Well it seems to be running fine. Only odd thing is it will jump to 3k RPM on start up then drop to a normal idle. Other than that it runs fine.

Old 03/20/2012, 08:10 PM   #4
rocko
JDM Soldier

looks like a sweet project...crazy how much higher it sits with the racing beat springs on it...sooo whats the final goal.

Old 03/21/2012, 07:45 AM   #5
The Laser
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
looks like a sweet project...crazy how much higher it sits with the racing beat springs on it...sooo whats the final goal.
For now, a decent feeling car for auto-x season. That was my plan with the car from the beginning. Not 100% sure if I'm wanting to do a TII swap or just turbo the motor now. Also an update, my short shifter arrived the other day and ordered a new inner boot. Only problem I'm having is it feels off. Not sure if it's from sanding down the little cup, I'm fucking up the install somewhere, or if some of the shifting internals are going bad.

Old 03/21/2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Iowan82
JDM Soldier

[quote=The Laser;279090]Well it seems to be running fine. Only odd thing is it will jump to 3k RPM on start up then drop to a normal idle. Other than that it runs fine.[/QUOT

If you have the b13 intake theres a screw on the top of it. It should just be a flat head right in the middle of the manifold

Arrow indicates idler screw i assume you know this i just was hoping to help hah i myself am still learning all this Rotary stuff and im determined not to do the ls1 swap plus im broke hah Im about to start posting all my stuff too my vacuum lines are killing me..hah ps sorry for the poor quality of pics it was with my phone

Old 03/21/2012, 09:34 AM   #7
The Laser
JDM King

[quote=Iowan82;279269]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laser View Post
Well it seems to be running fine. Only odd thing is it will jump to 3k RPM on start up then drop to a normal idle. Other than that it runs fine.[/QUOT

If you have the b13 intake theres a screw on the top of it. It should just be a flat head right in the middle of the manifold

Arrow indicates idler screw i assume you know this i just was hoping to help hah i myself am still learning all this Rotary stuff and im determined not to do the ls1 swap plus im broke hah Im about to start posting all my stuff too my vacuum lines are killing me..hah ps sorry for the poor quality of pics it was with my phone
I'll have to see if that makes a difference. It really only does it on start up for a few seconds then goes down to a normal idle. My guess is get the oil pressure up to help lube the apex seals before actually driving it, but idk. Personally if I had the money, I'd drop in a 4G63. There's a build thread on rx7 club of a guy doing it with his fd. Looks fucking awesome too, reminds me of the starion/conquest swap. Here it is http://m.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=984615

Last edited by The Laser; 03/21/2012 at 09:49 AM.

Old 03/25/2012, 02:13 PM   #8
The Laser
JDM King

Well, got my shift boot yesterday in the mail and looked awesome. My only problem with it is it was too tight to have the little rubber piece in the surround, so I cut it a bit and fit fairly well. Looks a lot better then not having one lol

Also, if anyone wanted to get one for their car, let me know, cause I can get either a 10% commission for referral or get 5% and give you a 5% discount on all total purchases. I can also post discount codes for about 10% every once and awhile. They have shift boots, ebrake boots, arm rest boots, door panel covers and are making steering wheel covers. Can also do custom embroidering. Check out redlinegoods.com

Last edited by The Laser; 03/25/2012 at 02:19 PM.

Old 03/30/2012, 03:13 AM   #9
Iowan82
JDM Soldier

dude the 4g63 is sweet i havent been on here in a while but nice to see you got that boot i am thinking of getting another one and btw i have a stock stereo or a kenwood that is decent you would have to get a wiring harness the last owner just used lots of electrical tape..im not happy with it and im just gonna let best buy deal with it :P hah mine needs lowered and i need to start a thread for it hah

Old 03/30/2012, 09:13 AM   #10
The Laser
JDM King

Quote:
dude the 4g63 is sweet i havent been on here in a while but nice to see you got that boot i am thinking of getting another one and btw i have a stock stereo or a kenwood that is decent you would have to get a wiring harness the last owner just used lots of electrical tape..im not happy with it and im just gonna let best buy deal with it :P hah mine needs lowered and i need to start a thread for it hah
Hmmm, you got pics of the kenwood? How much you looking for it? I can get a harness for $10 off a site.

Old 03/30/2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Iowan82
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Hmmm, you got pics of the kenwood? How much you looking for it? I can get a harness for $10 off a site.
Ill get you some pics and im not sure on the price but PM me your number and ill send them right away im going out to the garage to take them right now its not a super fancy kenwood but its a pretty good lol

Old 03/31/2012, 08:54 AM   #12
The Laser
JDM King

Quote:
Ill get you some pics and im not sure on the price but PM me your number and ill send them right away im going out to the garage to take them right now its not a super fancy kenwood but its a pretty good lol
If it's got an aux input, I'll be happy lol.

Old 04/28/2012, 12:01 AM   #13
Iowan82
JDM Soldier

Know any good places to get coilovers...?

Old 04/28/2012, 10:06 AM   #14
The Laser
JDM King

Quote:
Know any good places to get coilovers...?
Depends on what you want to do. If you're looking to just keep it as a daily with little/no track time, stay stock. If you want a weekend warrior while still bearable, I recommend my set-up. If you're looking for full track use, get some fully adjustable teins.

Old 04/28/2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Iowan82
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Depends on what you want to do. If you're looking to just keep it as a daily with little/no track time, stay stock. If you want a weekend warrior while still bearable, I recommend my set-up. If you're looking for full track use, get some fully adjustable teins.
alright ill look into that thanks

Old 04/28/2012, 12:09 PM   #16
The Laser
JDM King

Quote:
alright ill look into that thanks
If you're on rx7club, you can usually find coilovers for dirt cheap. There's a set of teins for $500 used.

Old 04/28/2012, 12:22 PM   #17
Iowan82
JDM Soldier

Quote:
If you're on rx7club, you can usually find coilovers for dirt cheap. There's a set of teins for $500 used.
Yup i just saw those im gonna message the guy and see about them

Old 09/12/2012, 01:43 PM   #18
The Laser
JDM King

Ok, been awhile since I've updated this, and a lot has happened since then. After I got it paid off, the guy had some good mufflers for me to replace the rusted out ones. They were BAD, to the point I could smell exhaust in my car.

You could really see this when looking under, but could see enough to know it was bad

New mufflers. Nice and quiet lol

I also couldn't find the proper sized gaskets for them, so I just got the big sheets to make your own. Little over $5 for a big sheet too. With the exhaust finally quiet, it was too quiet in the cabin lol. Picked up a cd player off CL. Was actually one of the ones i wanted too, so it was a win-win, plus was only $65. Walmart didn't have a harness for it, so I searched online to find one and found one for $10. Decided to go to best buy for the harness, but they wanted $20, but showed them the online price w/ free shipping and they matched it (with protest, no less). It wedges in just enough to not move and actually works quite well.

What's nice is that it works with my headrest speakers too, and, with some modification, leaves their individual control intact. After a few months of summer driving with the top down, I begin to wonder why there is no top-end power like it should have, as it would only rev to 7000 max. After some research, I discovered that the 5/6 port actuators will get stuck from debris and road grime. During lunch at work I decide to take a look and see if they move at all (they SHOULD move quite freely) and not to my surprise, they don't. In order to get to them, the entire UIM has to be taken off. Not a problem, aside from the fact this car has more vacuum lines than any car should have (and no way to get rid of them. Fucking S5). Luckily I know of a site that has the FSM with vacuum diagrams, so it SHOULD be easy. After taking everything off, including the acuators, I now relize HOW hard they are to turn, damn near impossible. I'm turning these fuckers with a big wrench that should give me enough leverage, but they don't budge, just smile at me with their troll face.

As I begin to take the LIM off, I no more than BREETH on the OMP lines and it snaps like a fucking dry leaf. Just fucking great. I spend about a good hour trying to unseize the rods but to no avail. The rods are held in by a small plate with a screw and bolt, so you would think it be simple. WRONG!!! I strip BOTH screw heads because Mazda felt it necessary to use weak ass aluminum for it. I end up haven to break the rods off and turn the plate with the screw to get it undone, and even that was a battle. After about 2 hours, the rods are out and busted and I find the culprit. A small rubber gasket decided to eat itself into the rod tunnel, as it was visible looking into it. Not small chunks either, some were quite large. Cleaned it out, along with the manifold, with some carb cleaner (went through almost 3 cans) and looks nice and smooth. But now I need to find some rods. Fast forward a month I find a local rx7 owner with some S4 rods that look like they might work (the S5 actuators "push" the rods, while the S4 "pull"). Get those in and they look to have the same angle to turn as S5 rods, sweet. Now to fix the oil lines.

I have a few options. The obvious would be to replace the lines. Very simple, very cheap, but a little Ike consuming. Get some SS lines that, as far as I know, are built onto the injectors, but are VERY expensive. My final option is is to eliminate the OMP completely, since I've already been pre-mixing. I went that route as it was already on my mind to do anyway. So I ordered a block-off plate and injector plugs yesterday, and should be here in a week or so. I'm also debating whether or not to get the 6 port shaft inserts, but not sure if le GF would like me spending another $40 on my car lol. But I can wait for my next paycheck. I'll get some pics when they arrive and of the huge mess of parts in my garage lol.

Pics of my giant mess

Last edited by The Laser; 09/15/2012 at 09:11 PM.

Old 09/19/2012, 09:00 AM   #19
The Laser
JDM King

Just got this in the mail yesterday. Fast shipping too, I'm impressed.

I'm excited, but I k ow it will be awhile til I I stall it since borderlands 2 came out yesterday and I know I'm goin to be playing that for awhile lol. Played it all day yesterday for 12 hours. My next item on the list is a pair of atkins auxiliary sleeves, so there's no dead spot the air is hitting and get a hugely better flow.

Old 12/24/2012, 09:53 AM   #20
The Laser
JDM King

Well, as sad as it is to say, I have finally traded the Rex and got a car I've always wanted, a 1991 Mazda miata. It was actually Tyler ollerichs old car but thankfully its not slammed to shit any more. I'll start a new build thread for it, but otherwise this thread can be officially closed.