JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Hybrids & Swaps

Reply
 
Old 04/30/2013, 12:18 AM   #1
tgross1994
JDM Lover
 
tgross1994's Avatar
 
tgross1994 is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cedar rapids
Posts: 51

 
Default B20/b16

What do you guys think about puting the b16 head on the b20 block? Do it make for a decent power plant or is it better to go b16 all the way?

  Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2013, 07:43 AM   #2
crxh22honda
JDM King
 
crxh22honda's Avatar
 
crxh22honda is offline
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: norwalk
Posts: 1,231

 
Default Re: B20/b16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgross1994 View Post
What do you guys think about puting the b16 head on the b20 block? Do it make for a decent power plant or is it better to go b16 all the way?
Oo for sure b16 all the way. They use a lot more oil and gas but its worth it.

  Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2013, 02:23 PM   #3
tgross1994
JDM Lover
 
tgross1994's Avatar
 
tgross1994 is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cedar rapids
Posts: 51

 
Default Re: B20/b16

Itd be going in a da integra so b16 over the b20/16? I have farther intentions of boost for it too, my buddy has a b20 civic ex and he loves it. I like the b16 but he sugguested the b20/16 for a powerplant

  Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2013, 06:37 AM   #4
jh4dc
JDM Lover
 
jh4dc's Avatar
 
jh4dc is offline
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: IOWA
Posts: 69

 
Default Re: B20/b16

B20/B16 will provide more torque than the 16 alone however the 16 has shorter stroke so it tends to be more reliable when you redline at high rpms. If you boost either that's another story It all just depends on your build

  Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2013, 08:52 AM   #5
99eclipse
JDM King
 
99eclipse's Avatar
 
99eclipse is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Moravia Iowa
Posts: 1,128

 
Default Re: B20/b16

if your gonna go for boost imo build the b20 set up, its way more torquey of a set up an can be just as reliable of a set up,


__________________

96 civic coupe dd
99 eclipse built :)


When one turbo isn't enough get two!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2013, 09:31 AM   #6
ConHuevos!
MEXICAN
 
ConHuevos!'s Avatar
 
ConHuevos! is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DSM
Posts: 1,838

 
Default Re: B20/b16

B16B and call it a day.


__________________

Desire is like a carousel. Once you have acheived what was desired, you are left back in the same spot you were in before you had the desire.

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2013, 04:03 PM   #7
99eclipse
JDM King
 
99eclipse's Avatar
 
99eclipse is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Moravia Iowa
Posts: 1,128

 
Default Re: B20/b16

can say i wasnt very impressed at all with my b16,


__________________

96 civic coupe dd
99 eclipse built :)


When one turbo isn't enough get two!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2013, 03:01 PM   #8
pico4130
Newbie
 
pico4130's Avatar
 
pico4130 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7

 
Default Re: B20/b16

B20 was not meant to handle the revs like a B16.I bet it would be a fun motor while it lasted though. The cylinder walls on a B20 are thinner also, so its not a prime candidate for boost.It's basically a B18 with the cylinder bores punched out.I drove an Integra with a stock B20Z for a while and the extra torque did feel nice though.

  Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2013, 04:48 PM   #9
99eclipse
JDM King
 
99eclipse's Avatar
 
99eclipse is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Moravia Iowa
Posts: 1,128

 
Default Re: B20/b16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico4130 View Post
B20 was not meant to handle the revs like a B16.I bet it would be a fun motor while it lasted though. The cylinder walls on a B20 are thinner also, so its not a prime candidate for boost.It's basically a B18 with the cylinder bores punched out.I drove an Integra with a stock B20Z for a while and the extra torque did feel nice though.
my friend has a b20turbovtec set up an i think it revs pretty high?


__________________

96 civic coupe dd
99 eclipse built :)


When one turbo isn't enough get two!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2013, 08:01 PM   #10
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy
 
H22APWRD94 is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,007

 
Default Re: B20/b16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99eclipse View Post
my friend has a b20turbovtec set up an i think it revs pretty high?
Also not a stock bottom end in that car.

  Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2013, 08:04 PM   #11
99eclipse
JDM King
 
99eclipse's Avatar
 
99eclipse is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Moravia Iowa
Posts: 1,128

 
Default Re: B20/b16

Quote:
Originally Posted by H22APWRD94 View Post
Also not a stock bottom end in that car.
Nah its a pretty built car, will b pushin around 500hp+ soon.
but why build a b16 when u can a pay a little extra an go b20 an have a little more torque?
If im way wrong, im sorry idk a whole lot about them but this is what ive gathered


__________________

96 civic coupe dd
99 eclipse built :)


When one turbo isn't enough get two!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2013, 08:16 PM   #12
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy
 
H22APWRD94 is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,007

 
Default Re: B20/b16

It all depends on end goal and current budget. Personally, I would go with an LS bottom end over the B20. Stock sleeves can take some power. B20, not as much. Thinner sleeves, not as much around them for support.

  Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2013, 02:09 PM   #13
onebad636
JDM Soldier
 
onebad636's Avatar
 
onebad636 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Newton
Posts: 346

 
Default Re: B20/b16

Quote:
Originally Posted by H22APWRD94 View Post
It all depends on end goal and current budget. Personally, I would go with an LS bottom end over the B20. Stock sleeves can take some power. B20, not as much. Thinner sleeves, not as much around them for support.
Agreed! I'm running an LSV that was actually finished by Mike, and I'm super happy with it. I'm only putting down 205/140 at the wheels, but it's also a mild build. As long as the motor is built by someone reputable or if you take your time and do it right, reliability isn't going to be an issue.

  Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2013, 03:17 PM   #14
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy
 
H22APWRD94 is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,007

 
Default Re: B20/b16

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad636 View Post
Agreed! I'm running an LSV that was actually finished by Mike, and I'm super happy with it. I'm only putting down 205/140 at the wheels, but it's also a mild build. As long as the motor is built by someone reputable or if you take your time and do it right, reliability isn't going to be an issue.
Adi did all the heavy lifting on that one. But I was more than happy to help out and finish it up. I agree though, a proper setup is only as good as the time and money spent on it.

  Reply With Quote
Old 07/25/2013, 12:47 PM   #15
H22CB9
JDM Soldier
 
H22CB9's Avatar
 
H22CB9 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ottumwa ia
Posts: 151

 
Default Re: B20/b16

I like the ls-v in my personal opinion I wouldn't boost a b20/b16 setup for the fact of the b16 head by it self jumps the compression up and high compression+boost=booooom lol. unless you are gonna do bottom end work id stay N/A

  Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2013, 02:24 PM   #16
Charlie Moua
JDM King
 
Charlie Moua's Avatar
 
Charlie Moua is offline
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,156

 
Default Re: B20/b16

Quote:
Originally Posted by H22CB9 View Post
I like the ls-v in my personal opinion I wouldn't boost a b20/b16 setup for the fact of the b16 head by it self jumps the compression up and high compression+boost=booooom lol. unless you are gonna do bottom end work id stay N/A
assuming it's just stock rods/piston/sleeves, and all using decent size 57trim turbo, e85 decent tune with decent margin of saftey

stock b16 250-325whp
stock LS 250-300whp
stock LSV 350-400whp
stock b20v 350whp


__________________


CNC Werx
team4piston
Jordan Tuned
Rocket Motorsports
Modern Automotive Performance
  Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2013, 06:51 PM   #17
99TegB20
Newbie
 
99TegB20's Avatar
 
99TegB20 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Norwalk,IA
Posts: 9

 
Default

B20/b16 isn't a bad setup I you want to spend some money building the bottom but if your just wanting to just throw it together then your going to run into some issues I've had oil leak issues multiple times on my b20/v so I'm just running a straight b20b w/ a Type R transmission and it's decent for a daily

  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.