JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Miscellaneous Forum > General Discussions & Debate

Old 02/04/2014, 04:05 AM   #1
Iowan82
JDM Soldier

Default Best Way?

Whats the best way to get a car from the West Coast to Iowa? Shipping? Driving to go get it? Flying out and renting something to take it back? Teleportation...if only..but seriously.

I'm looking at a car in Washington State. The car runs but won't make the trip due to bad gasket. The car is worth it for the price and condition. I just want different opinions and General info. Like can it be shipped by train? Trialed? Would it just be cheaper to go there myself? I figured gas and the drive and all would be roughly very roughly $600. Plane ticket there is around $300-350. I don't know pricing on shipping though. I've been trying to look it up but kind of hit dead ends. I do have military benefits. Not sure if that would reduce the price to much or not but I've seen sites say something about that.

If you have any information for me that would be greatly appreciated.

1990 Civic Si Hatch (DD)
1998 Civic Sedan (Looking to sell soon)
1988 Rx7 Vert (Project)
Old 02/04/2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Default Re: Best Way?

I just bought a 510 out of New Mexico (1000 miles away) a couple weeks ago. I had my own truck and rented a uhaul trailer for 3 days. The trailer cost me ~$150 for the whole trip. I spent around ~$800+ on fuel, $200 for hotels, and then there was spending for food and drink as well. In the end I spent right around $1300.

Washington is a lot further especially if you go as far as the coast which is almost 2000 miles away. So if you drive out there and back expect to spend $1500+ in fuel alone. Driving through the mountains during winter isn't fun either so take that into account as well. Also if you don't have a truck and have to rent one they aren't cheap so there's another big chunk of change.

Your best bet is to ship at this point. Call around to a few shipping companies to see what it would cost to have shipped, I can almost guarantee you it'll be far less then what it would cost you to go out there and get it yourself. I almost chose to ship my car however due to it being deemed a "classic", wasn't running, and most companies don't allow you to use the inside of the car for storing all the parts in it it was going to cost me more to ship.

Spend some time to look over all your options, but I can tell you from experience that if the car is in running shape and not slammed to the ground shipping will be your best and cheapest option.

Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)
Old 02/04/2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Iowan82
JDM Soldier

^Thats exactly the information i was looking for. It is near the coast the farthest possible place to be but its a completely stock FD rx7 for dirt cheap if i can get shipping under 1k I'd be golden. Now to find shipping companies...any suggestions?

1990 Civic Si Hatch (DD)
1988 Rx7 Vert (Project)
Old 02/04/2014, 12:57 PM   #4
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

As long as the car is in a good location (large city that's not in the middle of nowhere) you should be able to find one for under 1k without much fuss. I've heard of people ship cars from LA area to the Midwest for $800. It needs to be able to drive on and off the trailer for that kind of price though.

I don't know what company to recommended for you, maybe check with uship?

Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)
Old 02/04/2014, 04:08 PM   #5
99eclipse
JDM King

id be nervous to ship it, id rather see it in person to check for rust and such, pictures can be very deceiving, and just curious what gasket is out on the fd?

96 civic coupe dd
99 eclipse built :)

When one turbo isn't enough get two!
Old 02/04/2014, 06:51 PM   #6
Ej6kev
Functional!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Technick View Post
As long as the car is in a good location (large city that's not in the middle of nowhere) you should be able to find one for under 1k without much fuss. I've heard of people ship cars from LA area to the Midwest for $800. It needs to be able to drive on and off the trailer for that kind of price though.

I don't know what company to recommended for you, maybe check with uship?
My cousin shipped his civic up here from texas for around $600ish . But I can't remember what company it was

Old 02/04/2014, 07:31 PM   #7
The Laser
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99eclipse View Post
id be nervous to ship it, id rather see it in person to check for rust and such, pictures can be very deceiving, and just curious what gasket is out on the fd?
Washington doesn't use salt on their roads so cars rust slower lol.

"does this have V-tec? i bet it has V-tec"
"V-tec is for fags. This has boost"
Old 02/05/2014, 12:34 AM   #8
Iowan82
JDM Soldier

Shes garaged it and same with the last owner. But thanks Nick thats what I needed to know its kind of a in the middle of nowhere but its a decent sized city in the middle of nowhere. As far as gaskets i'm not sure all she said was won't hold coolant...so i'm guessing its a gasket worse case bad engine but i have one in my garage right now soo haha..either way for what it is its dirt cheap..its only got 65k and i think its been babied which worries me slightly because these things love to be beat on to an extent..

1990 Civic Si Hatch (DD)
1988 Rx7 Vert (Project)