JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Manufacturer Forum > Honda/Acura Forum > Honda CRX/Civic/Del Sol

Old 11/19/2011, 10:40 PM   #1
maymay
JDM Lover

Default help on a no start plz

hey, i have a 1987 honda crx 1.5L fuel injected. i know very little on the history of the car, just know it sat for a long time. car will turn over but wont fire. if you use starter fluid it will fire but wont stay running. ive replaced the main relay and fuel pump relay and checked all fuses. from what i can tell i dont see power reaching the fuel pump. the ECU does not light up ive taken it out and apart and the insides seems worn out. when i replaced the main relay it did smell somewhat burnt, and it clicked twice. i read on the internet it needs to click 3 times...but still wont stay running. any help would be appreciated. ive rarerly worked on these types of vehicles so this is all new to me.

ecu part # 37820-PE7-682 if anyone might have one for sale

Old 11/20/2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Cyberwaste
LURKIN

Default Re: help on a no start plz

check your dizzy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatorade View Post
your the best ever cyberwaste. your my hero.
http://imgur.com/N3ABL
Old 11/20/2011, 08:23 AM   #3
maymay
JDM Lover

dizzy the distributor? is that related to the no power to the fuel pump issue? and is there an easy way to test the distributor? thanks

Last edited by maymay; 11/20/2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11/20/2011, 08:40 AM   #4
KA7_Legend
gt4 coming soon

if you know for sure its a fuel problem... try just turning the key on the on position but not to start yet. listen... do you hear the fuel priming? if you hear the fuel priming then your fuel pump is still good. next would be to check the fuel filter if its clogged.

oh yeah... i once thought i had a fuel problem... until i remembered that i drained the gas out of the car before i started the motor swap. so i put gas back in to it and it started up perfect lol

Old 11/20/2011, 09:03 AM   #5
maymay
JDM Lover

i do know for sure that im not getting any power to the fuel pump. so started looking at the relays fuses and the ecu. right now im thinking i have a bad ecu and possibly bad main relay, but would be more confident if i knew of a way to test the ecu. at this point im ok with buying a used one if someone has one for sale ')

if anyone else has had the similar issue and know whats goin on lemme know!!

Old 11/20/2011, 09:37 AM   #6
KA7_Legend
gt4 coming soon

have u tried to check the wires that run from and to the fuel pump assembly?

Old 11/20/2011, 10:11 AM   #7
maymay
JDM Lover

yeah thats another possibility. such tight spaces down there wanted to make that my last check. anyone able to check my ecu? anyone have one laying around i can either use of buy?

Old 11/20/2011, 04:14 PM   #8
maymay
JDM Lover

Ok now im getting lost... if the dash gauge shows there is no gas in the tank until you turn the key to the start position then it gives me a gas reading could it still mean its a relay!?! I would think the relay works if its reading the gas level... any ideas?

Old 11/20/2011, 07:37 PM   #9
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

It means that most likely your ignition switch is bad. See if you can get it to sit in the on position somewhere in between it cranking and the on position.

Old 11/20/2011, 07:50 PM   #10
maymay
JDM Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by H22APWRD94 View Post
It means that most likely your ignition switch is bad. See if you can get it to sit in the on position somewhere in between it cranking and the on position.
does the ignition switch still control the engine running after its started? cuz if i use starting fluid itll only run for a few seconds then die again, but i do recall i was able to rev up the rpms a few times but then it would die...

Old 11/20/2011, 07:54 PM   #11
Cyberwaste
LURKIN

does it have gas?

Quote:
Old 11/20/2011, 08:42 PM   #12
maymay
JDM Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberwaste View Post
does it have gas?
i assume it does, with the car turned off the needle goes all the way down, when i put it into the start position it moves up above the E. but i still dont hear the pump prime... im lost

Old 11/20/2011, 08:51 PM   #13
Cyberwaste
LURKIN

check.

Quote:
Old 11/20/2011, 09:18 PM   #14
deadmoans
JDM Knight

test with a test light. pierce the wires one at a time going to the fuel pump. you should be able to find a wiring diagram on the internet to see which one is power. the wiring diagram will also show you where those wires run and the color and you can continue to test down the line until you find the problem.

turn the key on if the light does not light up you've got a wiring issues. lots of ways to deal with that. if the light does light up and the pump does not prime then you got a bad fuel pump.

the gas gauge could be on a separate circuit to the sending unit part of the fuel pump. so you could be just chasing your tail with that. focus on testing the fuel pump.

the fuel pump is under the back seat right? then that is easy to get to for testing the wiring.

you can also verify that the pump actually works by applying direct power to it.

as for the ecu. when you took it apart did it smell like burnt wiring? if so that's a good indication of a problem. also if you look really close at the board you might even find black marks indicating a burnt component.

Cheap, Fast or Reliable, You Can Only Choose Two.
Old 11/20/2011, 11:47 PM   #15
maymay
JDM Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmoans View Post
test with a test light. pierce the wires one at a time going to the fuel pump. you should be able to find a wiring diagram on the internet to see which one is power. the wiring diagram will also show you where those wires run and the color and you can continue to test down the line until you find the problem.

turn the key on if the light does not light up you've got a wiring issues. lots of ways to deal with that. if the light does light up and the pump does not prime then you got a bad fuel pump.

the gas gauge could be on a separate circuit to the sending unit part of the fuel pump. so you could be just chasing your tail with that. focus on testing the fuel pump.

the fuel pump is under the back seat right? then that is easy to get to for testing the wiring.

you can also verify that the pump actually works by applying direct power to it.

as for the ecu. when you took it apart did it smell like burnt wiring? if so that's a good indication of a problem. also if you look really close at the board you might even find black marks indicating a burnt component.
ill do some wire checking tomorrow. i did try going directly from the battery to the pump wires, and still couldnt hear the pump prime but it may not have had the best connection either, i will try that again.

the ecu... i couldnt smell anything burnt just saw black marks on the board but didnt notice any diodes or resistors bad. earlier today i did try goin from the battery to the pump connector from the main relay and still no fire... ill update tomorrow.

thanks to everyone for wanting and trying to help, i appreciate it

Old 11/21/2011, 12:15 AM   #16
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

I have seen quite a few bad key cylinders on these older models, and the way he is stating that it is not showing fuel level until he is in the crank/start position, I have seen the key cylinder get offset by almost a notch and not work properly. That is partially what it sounds like is going on. But then again, he isn't holding the computer up to the car, so I can't really tell what exactly is going on.

Old 11/21/2011, 10:00 AM   #17
maymay
JDM Lover

I bought an ignition switch and also a fuel filter and bringing my test light oh and a gas can and most important a 12 pack! Thanks fellas

Old 11/21/2011, 05:12 PM   #18
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

You can always pull the plugs and turn it over to see if your getting fuel. You're getting spark so I would presume that the ecu is getting power. One other thing you can try. Feed power to the pump, grab a wire connect it to your battery and run it to the pump along with a ground. See if the pump turns on. If no, bad pump. Also do what Kelly said. Test lights make things a heck of a lot easier, heck you can use a volt meter even.

Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)
Old 11/21/2011, 05:13 PM   #19
maymay
JDM Lover

Mmk what about a ground??? Someone said there's a main ground on or around the thermostat housing... and that would cause the ECU not to cone on. Im still concerned about the ECU not lighting up at all. Another website showed if the 4dash led's don't light up its a faulty ECU. Someone also said that the car has to run in order to pull codes, so would cranking the engine for so long trick the ECU to thinking its running?

Old 11/21/2011, 08:29 PM   #20
deadmoans
JDM Knight

the black marks you say you saw on the ECU board is a concern. Mike's right about the key/ignition switch, that is what powers everything up.

I would really start with testing the wires at the fuel pump. With key on and if the test light lights up then you got power to the pump.

Thing about the fuel pumps on honda's is that they rarely go bad. Seen 89 CRXs with original fuel pumps still kicking away.

The gas gauge thing is a concern and a factor but like I said you can have a bad sending unit and the fuel pump still work. The sending unit is what sends a signal to the gas gauge BTW.

Another trick is to apply power or have the key on and tap (softly) on the gas tank or on the top of the "cap" where the fuel pump goes into the tank. sometimes this will "free up" the fuel pump and then you know the problem is the fuel pump.

Old 11/22/2011, 09:23 PM   #21
maymay
JDM Lover

ok... ive been testing the wrong wire the whole damn time. the only wires i was able to see was a yellow and a black wire which i thought was the actual fuel pump wires. which i came to find out aint. but what ever those wires are (ignition switch??) they arent getting power... so i have to drop the tank in order for me to test the pump...damnit.

Old 11/23/2011, 07:59 PM   #22
deadmoans
JDM Knight

what kind of car is this? I thought most honda's the pump is accessible under the back seat?

did you test the wires near the fuel pump?

Old 11/24/2011, 08:13 AM   #23
maymay
JDM Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmoans View Post
what kind of car is this? I thought most honda's the pump is accessible under the back seat?

did you test the wires near the fuel pump?

1987 honda crx hatchback 1.5L fuel injected SI. I also read that the fuel pump was accessible by the back seat but after lifting all the carpet and everything else in the way all I found way frame. Other pictures showed the pump being outside of the tank in an compartment and not even in the tank.

Those wires, one was yellow and the other was black and there was no power coming from them. They almost look burnt at one time... these wires come from the car, the ines they connect to go into the tank, but don know what they are ...

Old 11/24/2011, 02:15 PM   #24
maymay
JDM Lover

ok... found out the fuel pump aint even in the tank, its in a cubby hole on the diver rear fender!!! wtf! i have no power going to the fuel pump and i put power to the fuel pump and still wont start. so as of now i see i have a bad fuel pump and need to figure out why im not getting power back there.

i did notice that the wires coming from the pump are frayed and looked like they caught fire at one time. but the wires that are suppose to power the pump look ok.

so... i ordered a main relay and will order a fuel pump unless someone thinks different.

thanks for the help guys

Old 11/26/2011, 09:25 PM   #25
maymay
JDM Lover

got the pump out! rusted to $h!t

so if anyone has an inline pump for sale please lemme know!!!