JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Hybrids & Swaps

Old 05/13/2013, 11:25 PM   #1
michaelx43
JDM Soldier

Default B20/GSR conversion qustion

Alright I need some advice here. I can't seem to find it by searching so bare with me. I'm doing b20v and I'm questioning whether I can safely run my gsr head with my non-vtec ecu *without vtec hooked up obviously, UNTIL I order my chipped ecu. My head gaskit it bad and leaking oil and I don't want to replace it twice so I need to know of this will be SAFE to do TEMPORALLY. I know the butterfly's won't be working on the manifold, not 100% sure if the gsr head without vtec will burn more fuel than the ls and send me into limp mode and I know the two heads have different base maps but part of me thinks i can get away with this without blowing my engine up. I'm not worried about CEL's and I also will NOT be beating on it, this is only to get my by until i get my ecu. Thanks,
Micahel

Last edited by michaelx43; 05/14/2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05/14/2013, 09:11 PM   #2
michaelx43
JDM Soldier

Default Re: B20/GSR conversion qustion

Anyone? I know it's been done on a d16 but I would like a few different opinions from experienced members.

Old 05/22/2013, 02:17 PM   #3
onebad636
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelx43 View Post
Anyone? I know it's been done on a d16 but I would like a few different opinions from experienced members.
I think we need a little more info about this than is given..... but from what it sounds like, I would say DO NOT run a stock ls ecu on your B20v.

Is this a new motor you just put together/fresh build?
Did you just swap the GSR head on the B20 block?
Do you have any supporting mods?
Can you get a hold of a GSR ecu?

From my understanding, running an ECU/map not made for your car is easily one of the worst things you can do to your vehicle. A great deal of precision is needed to get the motor to run properly and reliably, and is DEFINITELY not something I would "call it good" on. Just my 2 cents, but I think you're taking a BIG risk doing that.

Old 05/22/2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Ej6kev
Functional!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad636 View Post
I think we need a little more info about this than is given..... but from what it sounds like, I would say DO NOT run a stock ls ecu on your B20v.

Is this a new motor you just put together/fresh build?
Did you just swap the GSR head on the B20 block?
Do you have any supporting mods?
Can you get a hold of a GSR ecu?

From my understanding, running an ECU/map not made for your car is easily one of the worst things you can do to your vehicle. A great deal of precision is needed to get the motor to run properly and reliably, and is DEFINITELY not something I would "call it good" on. Just my 2 cents, but I think you're taking a BIG risk doing that.
x2 . Do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again.

Old 05/23/2013, 12:24 AM   #5
michaelx43
JDM Soldier

Stock b20 block stock gsr head. I knew the base maps between the two were definitely different obviously, and I figured even without vtec wired I'd still be burning more fuel than the ls base map. It was just a thought but I had and many possible issues arose after i made this post. Ended up trading the gsr head so I'm just gonna leave my b20 alone for now. Thanks for responding though!