JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Hybrids & Swaps

Old 06/06/2013, 07:58 AM   #1
NikkyT
JDM Knight

Default ls/vtec in crx, brainstorm

i have an obd2 b16 head, obd2 harness, alt, dizzy. can i just use the obd2 harness to in my crx? the crx has an ls swap already, so i dont need the dual point mpfi swap. its obdo, what would be easiest for not wanting to convert to obd1 yet. i dont have a dash i dont care if the body harness works, just wanna know if the motor will still be functionable.

Old 06/06/2013, 08:03 AM   #2
NikkyT
JDM Knight

Default Re: ls/vtec in crx, brainstorm

its also an obd2 p73. i feel like putting everything obd2 on the head and harness all the way back should work? but does my key turn off the ecu or body harness? i plan on running mechanical guages anyways

Old 06/06/2013, 08:32 AM   #3
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

You're making this waaaaayyyy more difficult then it is. Now I understand where all these super fucked up wire harness setups come from in Hondas.

Here is what you do, you put the head on, then use your stock obd0 harness. You'll need to buy a jumper harness for your distributor wiring, make a jumper, or cut the obd2 plugs off the distributor and wire the obd0 plugs on it. You'll also need to get an ECU jumper harness going from obd0 to obd1. (the reason for obd1 on the ecu is the obd1 ecu's are the ones you can chip)

Then since the obd2 injectors are Saturated you'll either need to get some Peak and Hold injectors or change your wiring removing the resistor box. If you're not good at all with wiring just get some peak and hold injectors it's wwaaaayyyy easier and less complicated that way.

Now to finish things up you'll need to get some sort of tuneable ecu and get a tune.

The great thing is, you don't have to do anything crazy and all of your gauges will work!!! No crazy wiring is needed either! Isn't it wonderful?

Old 06/06/2013, 08:43 AM   #4
NikkyT
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
You're making this waaaaayyyy more difficult then it is. Now I understand where all these super fucked up wire harness setups come from in Hondas.

Here is what you do, you put the head on, then use your stock obd0 harness. You'll need to buy a jumper harness for your distributor wiring, make a jumper, or cut the obd2 plugs off the distributor and wire the obd0 plugs on it. You'll also need to get an ECU jumper harness going from obd0 to obd1. (the reason for obd1 on the ecu is the obd1 ecu's are the ones you can chip)

Then since the obd2 injectors are Saturated you'll either need to get some Peak and Hold injectors or change your wiring removing the resistor box. If you're not good at all with wiring just get some peak and hold injectors it's wwaaaayyyy easier and less complicated that way.

Now to finish things up you'll need to get some sort of tuneable ecu and get a tune.

The great thing is, you don't have to do anything crazy and all of your gauges will work!!! No crazy wiring is needed either! Isn't it wonderful?
how am i making it difficult? that seems a little more difficult, considering i have a full obd0 harness, dizzy, alt, and pr4 ecu on the car, my question is to slap the head on, using all obd2 harness, dizzy, alt, p73 ecu. that would be requiring no resistor box replace or injector wiring or tune. seems a little easier to me.

Old 06/06/2013, 08:45 AM   #5
NikkyT
JDM Knight

Quote:
i have no guages in the car, and dont plan on putting a cluster back in the car......

Old 06/06/2013, 09:15 AM   #6
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkyT View Post
i have no guages in the car, and dont plan on putting a cluster back in the car......
But, to be able to tune the car, you will need it on an OBD1 ECU. If you are using an LS/VTEC setup, there is no factory ECU that is tuned for that.

Old 06/06/2013, 09:18 AM   #7
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

Quote:

This is all much easier than he makes it sound, and makes it so you can have a PROPER TUNE on your non-standard engine setup.

Old 06/06/2013, 09:19 AM   #8
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

Quote:
PREACH!!!!

Old 06/06/2013, 01:55 PM   #9
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

Quote:
how am i making it difficult? that seems a little more difficult, considering i have a full obd0 harness, dizzy, alt, and pr4 ecu on the car, my question is to slap the head on, using all obd2 harness, dizzy, alt, p73 ecu. that would be requiring no resistor box replace or injector wiring or tune. seems a little easier to me.
Do you have any idea how much work it would require to to put an obd2 harness in that car? You gotta remember the ecu plugs are on the body harness and not on the engine harness. So right there it would require that you rewire lets say 50 connections or so... Then on top of that you would still need a jumper harness for the obd2 ecu, then you need to add a second 02 sensor to your car, and add a knock sensor to your motor somehow. That would just be an absolute nightmare trying to use an OBD2 harness.

Seriously read my first reply again. Super easy, fuck you don't even have to do any wiring (well except for the 3 vtec wires) if you don't want to, rywire sells distributor jumper harnesses and ecu jumper harnesses. Then all you need to do is buy a chipped obd1 ecu, and some peak and hold injectors. From there everything is literally "plug and play"

Old 06/06/2013, 01:57 PM   #10
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by H22APWRD94 View Post
PREACH!!!!

Old 06/06/2013, 02:01 PM   #11
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

Oh and one more thing, you can't just slap a vtec head on an LS and not tune it. You will need to tune it, no stock ecu out there is properly setup for running an LS/V motor.

Old 06/07/2013, 05:56 PM   #12
NikkyT
JDM Knight

Quote:
But, to be able to tune the car, you will need it on an OBD1 ECU. If you are using an LS/VTEC setup, there is no factory ECU that is tuned for that.
my original plan was to just buy a full harness from rywire, with a chipped p28. my patience on slapping the head on has me coming up with any idea until i can get the harness. but ill just wait it out and do it right. ill probably buy the dizzy jumper harness or a new obd1 dizzy, and alt, should i get an obd1 IM, and can i use the obd0 injectors off the ls or are they different. im sure i could google this, but i want correct advice.

Old 06/08/2013, 12:24 AM   #13
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

Quote:
my original plan was to just buy a full harness from rywire, with a chipped p28. my patience on slapping the head on has me coming up with any idea until i can get the harness. but ill just wait it out and do it right. ill probably buy the dizzy jumper harness or a new obd1 dizzy, and alt, should i get an obd1 IM, and can i use the obd0 injectors off the ls or are they different. im sure i could google this, but i want correct advice.
Just get the OBD0-OBD1 jumper harness with the vtec conversion and wire that up. The OBD2 distributor will work just fine for you. A proper jumper for that, or pinning in a different connector, will work just fine without spending a bunch more unnecessary money. The alternator plug will just need spliced in as well from the OBD2 harness. The injectors off of your current LS are 240cc peak and hold injectors if you currently have an injector resistor box under your hood. The intake manifold will work just fine for you as well.

Old 06/10/2013, 11:38 PM   #14
Charlie Moua
JDM King

honestly I would just get custom harness.

It should not cost more than $315 for one. I know cause I have one.
milspec wiring, loom, lables, new oem pin/crimps, oem clips, YOU WILL still have to get a obd0 to obd1 jumper harness because fucken EF wiring setup is goofy,

covert to OBD1
DPFI to MPFI
tuck harness + mesh loom + labeled connectors
NON MILL SPEC wiring

(you STILL have to USE / provide me a obd0 to obd1 jumper)
EF/DA are goofy because they have the shock tower plugs which has mixed wiring of engine sensors & FRONT chassie sensors/connectors. So when I make this harness it's designed to plug and play to the shock tower plus too.

notice the yellow connector at the top of image, that plugs into the EF chassie. (eg/ek/dc don't have these)
Bottom of picture you see a big black & green connector, that also needs to plug into the ef chassie (eg/ek/dc don't have these)
then you see the 3 ecu obd1 connectors (gray) that plugs direct into your OBD1 ecu.
Your "obd0 to obd1" JUMPER harness is intergrated into my single harness.

Does that make sense?

Now if you don't want to RUN ANY signals, wiring to any thing else in your car then SURE, all you need is a wiring harness from engine direct to ECU (and a few extra wiring to fuse box)...

GL

CNC Werx
team4piston
Jordan Tuned
Rocket Motorsports
Modern Automotive Performance
Old 06/10/2013, 11:41 PM   #15
Charlie Moua
JDM King

if you want one made just send me a PM.
I could use MILSPEC wiring which his way higher grade for $55 extra (stiffer wiring, much more heat resistant to high temp)
I could also add Raychem DR25 (vs. using mesh loom) but that stuff is spendy.

CNC Werx
team4piston
Jordan Tuned
Rocket Motorsports
Modern Automotive Performance
Old 06/24/2013, 03:19 PM   #16
Bmwz389
JDM Soldier

I literally did all of this about 6 months ago. Albeit, mine was in a DA, not a CRX, so i didn't have to worry about injectors. That will be your "hardest" part of the swap.

This has been done so many times there are multiple companies that sell conversion harnesses.

DA's are OBD-0, similar to your CRX. I did a Rywire OBD-0 to OBD-1 conversion harness and repinned my distributor back to OBD-0 on both sides.

Then run the 3 wires for VTEC and boom baby go, you have a fully funtional motor, as long as you didn't jank it up and not run auto fans and things like that.

http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-ar...ls-vtec-85477/

^^^ This has so much information in it I shit vtec material for a week.

That should help a little bit. I cannot help with the injector wiring though.

GL bud.

- Brandon

I want your DA parts! LS/V high compression build in progress.
Old 07/24/2013, 09:13 PM   #17
jaydmdude06

you will need an obd 0 to obd 1 ecu jumper harness, obd 0 to obd 1 dizzy harness and obd 1 ecu. I also ran an injector resistor box delete to run saturated obd 1 injectors as well.

Prodigy Race Engines(P.R.E.)
R O C K E T M O T O R S P O R T S https://www.facebook.com/Rocket4Life
R.D.R.
240/153 82X89mm B http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3092090
Old 07/25/2013, 11:39 AM   #18
H22CB9
JDM Soldier

Quote:

just saying you can chip a obd0 ecu I had a chipped obd0 PR3

Old 08/05/2013, 01:24 PM   #19
Bmwz389
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by H22CB9 View Post
just saying you can chip a obd0 ecu I had a chipped obd0 PR3
And IIRC, you can reprogram most ECUs to run Vtec and all that jazz haha.

I want your DA parts! LS/V high compression build in progress.
Old 08/05/2013, 05:45 PM   #20
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwz389 View Post
And IIRC, you can reprogram most ECUs to run Vtec and all that jazz haha.
The abilities of OBD0 ecu's using TurboEdit as compared to what a good OBD1 ecu can do on Neptune/EcTune/Hondata is like comparing an Apple IIc to a new Mac.

Old 08/08/2013, 01:41 PM   #21
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

Quote:
The abilities of OBD0 ecu's using TurboEdit as compared to what a good OBD1 ecu can do on Neptune/EcTune/Hondata is like comparing an Apple IIc to a new Mac.

Old 08/10/2013, 01:05 PM   #22
H22CB9
JDM Soldier

I do have a good stock PR3 B16 ecu ill sell you and it is chipable.. id rather keep the car obd0 myself also. if it was me

Old 11/17/2013, 07:04 PM   #23
lsvteceg45
JDM Lover

bump

Old 12/02/2013, 05:43 PM   #24
99TegB20

Bump! That's my head lol