JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Miscellaneous Forum > Appearance/Cosmetic

Old 02/27/2013, 11:26 AM   #26
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Default Re: NEW TO SITE: 1997 EJ8 TURBO BUILD THREAD

Originally posted on 11-12-2012

Alright finally got some updates to share with you guys. I was able to get the rest of the car painted and cleared. I think everything turned out pretty good, no runs or sagging anywhere and it appears the the metallics were spread evenly. I'm going to wait for a sunny day so I can pull the car out and get a good look at it.

I was able to spray the base coat on Sunday and had to wait until today to spray the clear coat. It got too cold to fast when the sun went down on Sunday so I figured it would have been better to wait. The only problem that I found was I had the air lines that run to the paint booth hooked up to the wrong side of the air compressor. This made it to where there was way to much pressure coming to the spray gun. Because of this a lot of trash ended up in my clear coat, as all the dust was being stirred up. I've been doing a lot of research on color sanding and I've decided that I'm going to start with 1500 grit and work my way up in 500 grit increments all the way up to 3000 grit. Let me know what you guys think, I think that I should be able to get most of the trash out with color sanding and buffing. Thanks for the comments so far and I welcome any advice. Try to ignore the quality of the photos, I used my cell phone to take the pictures and there was still quite a bit of clear coat still floating around the paint booth lol.

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 11:27 AM   #27
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Originally posted on 11-17-2012

Well started doing some wet sanding and buffing. So far I've got the trunk and passenger side quarter panel done. It's coming out really nice so far. I started with 1500 grit and then on to 2000 grit. I spoke with a friend of mine and was told that 2000 grit was more then enough before buffing. Let me know what you think. I would like to have the entire passenger side done by tomorrow, we'll see.

Had to do some leveling of the clear coat with a razor blade, had a couple of drips in the clear coat.

Taped the edges off and started sanding.

A little before and after of the trunk:

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 11:28 AM   #28
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Originally posted on 11-17-2012

Now on to the quarter panel. It started getting dark so I had to move the operation inside lol!

My favorite:

Well that is all for today, I will post more tomorrow when I get the rest of the passenger side done. Comments are welcome!

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 11:31 AM   #29
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Well I have a few updates. Picked up my Skunk2 Pro1 cams, a new (to me) catch can/valve cover setup, supertech heavy duty valve springs (on order) and a Neptune RTP Engine Management System in a P28. Will have more updates tomorrow.

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 11:32 AM   #30
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Got a little sanding done today on the rest of the passenger side. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish the sanding and move on to buffing the rest of the car. Also installed my new catch can setup. Had to do a little modifying as the setup was intended for a eg shell, but everything came together nicely. Also installed some spacers on my hood, everything was going well until my hood fell, creasing one of the edges of the hood. No sweat though, if I have to get another hood its no big deal cause I think I striped it anyway when painting. Anyway on to the pics.

Will have another update tomorrow and hopefully better pics, I keep forgetting to bring my camera and have to result to the shitty iphone camera!! lol

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 11:33 AM   #31
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

So got some more wet sanding done, all I have to do is finish the driver's door in 1500 then go back with 2000. Trying to be done by Friday. Made a couple of mistakes though, ended up burning the paint a little on the roof edge, other then that everything is coming out good.

Let me know what you think

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 11:34 AM   #32
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Have another small update, my Supertech valve springs, Neptune RTP and some used JG Engine Dynamics cam gears have been acquired!! Loving the Neptune so far!!

Check back for more!!

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 11:35 AM   #33
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Got a small update for ya;
Got my AMR extended top hats installed finally. Wow what a huge difference, should have done this sooner. I'm running pretty high spring rates and although the ride wasn't unbearable it wasn't the most comfortable either. Well now that I"ve installed these AMR extended top hats and have more shock travel the difference in ride quality is night and day!! Big shout out to AMR Engineering

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 11:36 AM   #34
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Just a little short video I made from Saturday. Was able to get my Supertech Valvetrain, Skunk1 Pro1 cams and my JG Engine Dynamics Cam Gears installed. Ran into a couple of issues though while on the dyno and had to cut my dyno session very short. My cylinder position sensor went out, so now I have to buy a new distributor and also my oil feed line started leaking like no tomorrow! It was really bad but I think I've got it fixed today (Christmas Eve) lol. Well after I fixed the oil leak today I was able to get a video of the idle. I've never tuned with Neptune before, but I've gotten the hang of it pretty quickly. Got my 1000cc injectors to idle at a solid 900 rpm's FTW!! I am pretty excited about that as anyone that has ever had 1000cc injectors knows that it's a pain in the @ss to get it to idle even half way decent. Well try to enjoy my shitty video!!

97 EJ8 Civic GSR Turbo Skunk2 Pro1 Cams Idle - YouTube

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 11:38 AM   #35
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Got a couple of updates. Picked up some items to help with heat management. Wanted to work on this during the winter before the summer got here. So I picked up some DEI Reflect A Gold heat tape. DEI titanium heat wrap and some new lines for my oil feed and return. Also have the following on order: 70mm throttle body, turbo blanket, NRG quick release hub. Will have some more updates hopefully tomorrow, going to be fixing some oil leaks and installing my new oil lines and applying my heat wrap. Here's a couple of photos to tie everyone over.

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 11:39 AM   #36
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Alright got a couple more updates for you guys. Today's theme was "oil leak day". I had oil leaking from my oil feed and return lines, my oil pan and my valve cover. So it was kind of a good thing because I wanted to upgrade my 5/8 oil drain line to the -10an fittings anyway. Started taking everything apart, oil pan, valve cover, down pipe and turbo. I was able to swap out the oil feed flange that I had for a 1/8 npt to a -4 90 degree fitting. Then swapped out the oil drain for the -10an and welded the -10 bung on my oil pan. Ran into a problem when I got everything back together.......another oil leak, accept this time is was fresh oil that was leaking and it was still cold (engine was running). I moved the car a couple of times to make sure that it wasn't just oil that I hadn't wiped up yet and it wasn't. It ended up being my oil feed line. Apparently after you reconfigure an oil line so many times the inner parts will eventually give out. Well good thing I had plenty of spares laying around. Was able to get it fixed rather quickly. I then installed my DEI Titanium Heat Wrap, was pretty straight forward and looks pretty nice.

I'm going to be doing some testing on heat management to try and lower the overall under hood temperatures and reduce intake air temperatures using the reflect a gold, heat wrap and turbo blanket (thats still in the mail). I purchased two digital/cordless heat sensors with probes today so that I can do some before and after analysis. I'm going to start a totally different thread for this and I'll post a link in this thread. Anyway on to a couple of photos

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 11:40 AM   #37
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Got a couple goodies in the mail NRG quick release hub, turbo blanket and Phearable.net 70mm throttle body. Should have it all installed today, but have to do some testing for my Heat Management thread first.

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 11:41 AM   #38
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Have a few updates. I was able to build my Cold Air Intake box for my turbo this past weekend. Came out pretty nice. I made a template out of card board and then went back and transferred the template to some sheet metal that I had. All I have to do now is purchase a 3" hole saw and weld some tabs for mounting. I'm also going to fab some 3" piping from the intake box to my turbo. This should lower both my charge piping temperatures and intake air temperatures for sure! The intake box and pipe will be wrapped in the reflect a gold heat tape after more data is taken.

Keep checking back for more updates.

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 11:43 AM   #39
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Got the cold air intake box done today, forgot to take a picture after I ran to autozone and grabbed another coupler, but its on there. Not really sure if my mind is playing tricks on me but it does feel like the car pulls a little different. I'm pulling fresh air from the frame rail right now, but I'm eventually going to run a pipe to the existing fog light housing for even colder air. On to the pics (oh yeah I ran out of the gold heat tape) and don't laugh at my crappy welding. Will have some data very soon to document any changes in my IAT's.

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 11:43 AM   #40
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Got a couple of updates. I stripped the old paint off of the valve cover and repainted it wrinkle black. I like the way it turned out!!

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 11:44 AM   #41
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Just a little update, upgraded my brakes once again, this time went with the Wilwood 12.2" 4 piston caliper setup. The setup does fit behind 16x7 40 offset Rota Slipstreams.

Last edited by SRDF Titan; 02/28/2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02/27/2013, 01:57 PM   #42
Ej6kev
Functional!

Loooks good man! Nice build!

Old 02/27/2013, 04:03 PM   #43
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ej6kev View Post
Loooks good man! Nice build!
Thanks a lot I appreciate it

Old 02/27/2013, 04:38 PM   #44
OrangeJuice
JDM Knight

Nice build thread well done whats next?

J D M Just Doin Me

1992 Civic Hatch
1997 Integra Garage Whore

Old 02/27/2013, 05:06 PM   #45
mike03
JDM King

I love how your coupe is coming

It's a beauty!!

DD: 00' Civic Ex

94' Honda Civic Ex - sold
Old 02/27/2013, 06:57 PM   #46
EM1San
I take pictures

Def one of the nicer Civics to show up on this site.

Andrew.
My flick
Facebook
Old 02/27/2013, 08:09 PM   #47
JBruckhoff
Function>Form

Nice build thread. Love the way it's progressing. I'm looking forward to see the finished product.

04 G35 coupe Vortech supercharged *sold*
09 Pontiac G8 GT
Old 02/27/2013, 08:11 PM   #48
HANDA

The Admin approves this. The narration was pretty funny, the build is outstanding, and I like the bling gold touch under the hood. Super thumbs up!

Old 02/27/2013, 08:52 PM   #49
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
Nice build thread well done whats next?
Well I just need to finish everything. I've already got more paint to finish painting a couple last pieces. Have to dye a couple more interior pieces. And finish wet sanding. Thats pretty much it outside of finishing my cold air box and testing. Thanks though for the compliments.

Old 02/27/2013, 08:52 PM   #50
SRDF Titan
JDM Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike03 View Post
I love how your coupe is coming

It's a beauty!!
Thanks I appreciate it