JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Miscellaneous Forum > Appearance/Cosmetic

Old 05/29/2013, 08:59 AM   #1
civicex_1134
JDM Knight

Default Project in the works:

So, me and my dad have been wanting to start a project car for awhile now and weve finally come across the funds to do so. We put $20 a week in a bank account each, obviously we have a joint account. So anyway, the plan was to buy my brothers 95 civic coupe and start there. Well they surprised me for my birthday last monday and gave us they keys. The cars in my dads name as itll only cost him $15 a month for ins. lol. We dont have a garage, so were using my uncles garage, and paying some rent. It wont be a project thats done in a few months by any means but its a fun project for my dad and i.

What we did today was pull the bumper and straighten out the lower radiator support that was bent in-ward due to a previous owner, (a 15 yr-old girl), hitting a small tree a long time ago. So i didnt get any before pics but we got it as straight as we cld and the bumper fits waaay better and the hood shuts nice and easy, which before u had to slam it to get it to shut.

The over-all goal:
B16A swap on 10lbs..... We want something fun to drive on the street and can go to the track and run 12s.

What it needs first!!!
scary rust hole in fender well
front lower control arms
inner tie-rod ends
lower ball joints
a hood
exhaust work
cam seals
axels
sending unit for oil press. gauge leaks a lil
and struts/springs

The pics:

The hood...

The swirls/scratches:

That was the day we got it to the garage... So yesterday i got bored and decided to try and clean the interior up a bit, trust me when i tell u these "before" pics dont do any justice on how gross this interior was..... Took me a good 3.5hrs all together!

Before:

After:

Flash on:

Flash off:

After i got all this done i put the front end on jack stands, and have just ordered the following:
New front lower control arms
New inner and outter tie rod ends
New ebay springs, (just to get us by for now, save the lecture lol)
New lower ball joints
Warrenty exchange axels from autozone

Once we get all these parts in, ill be taking lots of pics when we go to install them, and even a video to show how bad the control arms are.

99 civic EX clover green, mini me SOHC-RIP
91 Integra GS, MR-sold
91 civic 4D-LS/Vtec, 75 shot-sold
91 Integra GS, champ white-sold
95 civic coupe, project car, turbo LS to be
Old 05/29/2013, 10:33 AM   #2
BigBird
JDM Soldier

Default Re: Project in the works:

Looks nice man. Good luck with the project.

eg
Old 05/29/2013, 11:09 AM   #3
OrangeJuice
JDM Knight

Glad to see ya got another car..

J D M Just Doin Me

1992 Civic Hatch
1997 Integra Garage Whore

Old 05/29/2013, 01:21 PM   #4
crxh22honda
JDM King

15 pics to see you clean the inside of the car out? Lol well good luck with the build, Hopefully things go smoothly.

Old 05/29/2013, 01:37 PM   #5
remix Rick

Just curious as to why you don't boost the Ls that's in there and save your self a couple thousand? Just throw a b16 tranny in it. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ososlohatch View Post
your mother should have swallowed !!!
94 Dodge dakota
96 Civic ls Swapped
Previously owned
84 cilica supra
94 4 door civic
89 bmw
89 crx si
91 crx si
Old 05/29/2013, 03:22 PM   #6
civicex_1134
JDM Knight

cuz it needs a new block anyway..... where the mount post bolts to the block is cracked and held together with JB weld!!! yikes! Plus my dads been a fan of the vtec stuff since i had the red 4 door. So i figure a B16A swap direct from HMO will be pretty reliable to start with, and should be able to hold 10lbs relatively easy. We mainly want to buy a direct bolt in swap, we dont wanna mess with wiring shit, or rebuilding or piecing stuff together yada yada....

91 Integra GS, MR-sold
Old 05/29/2013, 06:53 PM   #7
99eclipse
JDM King

good luck with the build, glad to see your gonna boost it, got any plans for an lsd? also how much hp you looking to make psi is kind of an irrelevant number,

Old 05/30/2013, 08:18 AM   #8
civicex_1134
JDM Knight

Well when we buy the swap from HMO, well prolly pay the extra $300 for an LSD trans..... And if we make anything over 240whp ill be happy.... of course i dont really know what the average numbers are for a boosted B16 but we just kinda figured 10lbs was an ok boost pressure to start at.

91 Integra GS, MR-sold
Old 05/30/2013, 10:01 PM   #9
E-FAB
Precise Fab

i would recommend if you guys are going to spend the money on a HMO swap go with a gsr the b16 is a good engine for a 1.6 but with a turbo they just dont make any tq we had one on the dyno last week piston and rod motor b16 337hp and only 206wtq on 17psi. ive tuned alot of gsr engine and on 9-10psi on a good turbo setup they usally make over 300hp and they are very streetable and just a better base we have also seen alot of b16 stock engine with sleeve failure and piston ringland failures.

P.s let me know when your ready to start the turbo process i have a nice mini ram manifold for a good price and would fit your bill nicely.

92 VX LS-Vtec
508whp-344ft on 24psi
P.B 10.64@137mph

"We are always thankful for the continued support from our friends and customers!"
Old 05/30/2013, 10:11 PM   #10
civicex_1134
JDM Knight

Hey thx for the advice man, totally forgot about the weak ring-lands...... And ill def hit up when it comes to the mani. So we ordered all this stuff, and now we just gotta find the time to put it all in. Also found out why it was leaking oil, the oil pressure gauge sending unit has a small stud on the top for a single wire..... well the stud kinda worked itself loose and when i went to pull it off it kinda fell off, ill take some pics next time i go to the garage. So the next time we go there well be replacing the following: Lower control arms, upper control arms, lower ball joints, upper ball joints, inner tie rod ends, outter tie rod ends, springs, and the sending unit. Well then take it somewhere to get aligned.

91 Integra GS, MR-sold
Old 06/02/2013, 01:08 AM   #11
K20EM2

has potential, good luck with your build

Old 06/17/2013, 11:49 AM   #12
civicex_1134
JDM Knight

so me and my dad took the car to tri-state this past weekend and had some fun with it. We tried to fill the mounts a few days before hand but they didnt dry in time so we got construction adhesive everywhere lol. Anyway, got up there and just went straight on to the track and for some reason it completely lit up the right front tire thru 1st and 2nd. 1st pass went 16.7 @ 86mph with a 2.8 60ft. We had a good laugh on that one. Needless to say we were there to just have some fun and get a baseline run out of it. So i had the bright idea to drop the tire pressure clear down to 10lbs lol. went around the burnout box and just did a little dry hop to clean the tires off. This run it left a lot better, little wheel hop and hooked up then missed 3rd TWICE! 2nd pass went 16.2 at 84mph with a 2.4 60ft. Then my dad got in it and did the exact same run only he got it into gear. 3rd pass went 15.9 at 85mph with a 2.3 60ft. We let the car cool off for about 20mins or so with the hood open. Pushed the car thru the staging lanes and i started it right before hand. Same thing, around the box and dry hop. 4th and final pass went 15.8 @ 86mph with a 2.2 60ft. Not bad for car we have less than $500 invested, and we totally did not expect a 15sec pass out of it. We left happy! ill try to get a few pics, of some stuff weve done so far, when i get some time.

91 Integra GS, MR-sold
Old 06/18/2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Charlie Moua
JDM King

you need to get some RMS cams !

http://www.jdmcity.com/showthread.php?t=21072&page=2

looking good so far.

CNC Werx
team4piston
Jordan Tuned
Rocket Motorsports
Modern Automotive Performance
Old 07/01/2013, 09:36 AM   #14
civicex_1134
JDM Knight

Sorry i havent been updating this as much as should, havent had any free time in awhile. So first were gonna go way back to when we did the suspension. First is a video of how bad it was when we got it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o0SAZXg3t0

So the car has all new: upper control arms, lower control arms, upper ball joints, lower ball joints, inner tie-rods ends, outter tie-rod ends, and springs. Heres some pics of the install:

The car also has new wheel bearings. We found out why it was leaking oil too..... The sending unit for the oil pressure gauge had broke but some how still worked??? yea, idk. So i contacted Jegs where i bought the gauge and they sent out a sending unit for free, just had to pay $5 shipping. So i had this bright idea to prevent it from happening again. Down below is a picture of the old one and the new one with the idea:

The new one with a thick layer of RTV silicone to keep the stud in place and leak free. So far have yet to see it leak, and the pressure on the gauge seems to be a lot more stable. (gauges are Sunpro electric gauges)

So we drove the car like this for a few weeks before i came across a deal for some better stock cams out of a newer integra. $30 shipped from MN. So me and the little one put those in:

She was pretty dirty when i pulled the valve cover!!!

So this is how the car sits as of now, fun to drive, no leaks, no rattles, my dad drives it to works just about everyday. So then we came across another great deal, i wont go into details but ill tell you this.... 115k miles, 1 owner (older lady), $300:

So me and dad cleaned the basement out, 2 full truck loads of garbage, to get the new motor on the engine stand. We got the auto trans pulled off and set aside to sell, and we plan on a few ARP bolts here and there and itll go in the car next spring. I think we plan on rebuilding it over winter. Ill be sure to take lots of pics, but so far my favorite pic was the one i took after i pulled the valve cover :)

Needless to say i was very happy when i seen how clean this thing was. Thats about all i have for now. thx for lookin.

91 Integra GS, MR-sold
Old 07/01/2013, 09:11 PM   #15
99eclipse
JDM King

looks like its coming together nicely! cant wait to se it with some boost

Old 07/02/2013, 08:06 AM   #16
civicex_1134
JDM Knight

decided to weigh the car for shits and gigles... 2440 with 1/4 tank of gas and my dad in the car

91 Integra GS, MR-sold
Old 07/03/2013, 12:04 PM   #17
Charlie Moua
JDM King

that's a smart idea to upgrade the front end bushings & joints.... for sure that will help with getting the best 60ft.

CNC Werx
team4piston
Jordan Tuned
Rocket Motorsports
Old 07/03/2013, 01:33 PM   #18
Tsoi
JDM Soldier

Nice project, can't wait to see more!

Old 07/08/2013, 06:49 PM   #19
civicex_1134
JDM Knight

we got the motor flipped over on the stand and pulled the oil pan off... looked like your normal golden color but it didnt look or smell burnt which made me kinda happy. so my buddy took the oil pan to his work and used the parts cleaner and cleaned it inside and out. also didnt see any shavings either, nor did the oil feel gritty... the motors been sitting for 2 yrs so........ idk. also, when i turn the motor over by hand i can hear some compression making its way past what i think is the rings, (motor upside down). should i be concerned with this or is it ok?

the wiring harness that came with the auto trans/engine got stripped down to bare wires. we then labeled all the clips and removed the auto trans clips. we then went thru almost 2 rolls of E tape wrapping it all back up lol. for a test i took it to the car and switched em out and it didnt wanna fire, the engine light didnt even wanna work... then it hits me, well the fuel pump wont turn on without a ground. lol forgot the ground wire on the thermostat housing. hooked it up and fired right up, no engine lights or any thing. so now that i know it works i need to extend the IAC wires about 2in. and wrap it with a final "sumthing", still dont know what i wanna use but i dont wanna use wire lom, i think its ugly lol. please suggestions wld be nice. thanks for looking.

91 Integra GS, MR-sold
Old 07/12/2013, 08:40 AM   #20
civicex_1134
JDM Knight

Anyone?

91 Integra GS, MR-sold
Old 07/12/2013, 09:54 AM   #21
michaelx43
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicex_1134 View Post
Anyone?
I think braided nylon sleeves look really good. RyWire uses similar stuff for all there harnesses and they look sick. Ima use this when I re-loom and tuck my harness. http://www.electricalhub.com/braided...FYo-MgodXV0AkA

*the link is just an example, much cheaper sites out there

Old 07/16/2013, 07:58 PM   #22
civicex_1134
JDM Knight

So i sent the car to a buddy of mine and he buffed the car....... wash, clay bar, 2 stage buffing, wax, and clean windows $75!!! This thing came out like a brand new car!!! Im not even kidding, i will post pics as soon as i get a chance.

91 Integra GS, MR-sold
Old 07/17/2013, 09:10 AM   #23
Charlie Moua
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicex_1134 View Post
This thing came out like a brand new car!!!
in for the results.

CNC Werx
team4piston
Jordan Tuned
Rocket Motorsports
Old 07/21/2013, 11:33 AM   #24
civicex_1134
JDM Knight

updated pics after the buff:

At this point, the car needs a set of wheels lol. What i rly want is a set of bronze konig heliums. I said not to buff the hood, as itll be getting a new hood here soon. It also needs a clutch and flywheel, motor mounts, and the new motor to go in.

91 Integra GS, MR-sold
Old 08/02/2013, 09:22 AM   #25
civicex_1134
JDM Knight

well i cant take any pics yet, but i did get the mounts welded solid finally. Cost me $6 for the 1/4in thick steel plates, and $30 to have them welded at Emmerts in marion. Took em 10mins. Again we only did this cuz the rubber is completely shot, and this is to get us by till we can afford the $300 set of mounts. But on a bad note, the motor will be coming out due to the fact the it has a piece of the block missing, (right where the driver side mount bolts to the block), its being held by 1 19mm head lag bolt that was impacted into the aluminum block. Since after we got these mounts put in, you cld take the motor and move it 1/8in back and forth and all the movement was coming from that joint. So the motor will be pulled and some parts will be saved as it still runs good, the new motor will get headstuds and a head gasket. While the motors out we will sand the engine bay down wil some 200grit just to scuff it up and re-spray it black, (just spray cans, its not a show car). comments/suggestions welcome.

91 Integra GS, MR-sold