JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Naturally Aspirated

Old 03/18/2012, 06:28 AM   #1
95hellatukd
JDM Soldier

Default who can degree in my cams

looking for someone to degree in my cams. wanting someone who kows what the hell they r doing. someone who possibly even garantees there work. the only downfall is i dont have the cam card cuz i bought them used so i dont know the centerline number. thanks for help

Old 03/18/2012, 10:23 AM   #2
TOTO
JDM Fan

Default Re: who can degree in my cams

did you buy cam gears and you have stock cams?
did you buy gears to look cool?
did you buy cam gears for your aftermarket cams for more power?

1994 Bmw 325i M3 Swap Dinan Special

1997 Civic Ex B20v Turbo.
Old 03/18/2012, 10:26 AM   #3
crxh22honda
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTO View Post
did you buy cam gears and you have stock cams?
did you buy gears to look cool?
did you buy cam gears for your aftermarket cams for more power?

WTF?

Old 03/18/2012, 10:43 AM   #4
TOTO
JDM Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxh22honda View Post
WTF?
The only reason i ask is if you are advancing the timing at all or just want the "cool affect" and just time them at 0 degrees. if you advance the timing without a tune it normally runs like poo. just wanted a little more detail so i can try to give a more definitive answer.

Old 03/18/2012, 11:09 AM   #5
95hellatukd
JDM Soldier

Wtf is right. Why would I buy cam gears for looks or with stock cams. And normally do stock cams come with cam cards? And duh everyone knows cam gears give u more hp.
Al I asked was for someone who knows wat there doing when I comes to degreeing in cams. not bullshit posts like this guy. Motor is not in car as of now til after cams r degreed they motor is poor man type r with ctr pistons and blox hsl cams and and all the other goodies like valvetrain and port and polish and intake and exhaust and yea I bought the super fast aem tru time cam gears. The head has been milled but to a unknown amount. So timing about a quarter of a tooth off and with high lift cams and high compression I really wana get the most out of the setup. Obviously tuning is key to any setup but gotta get it ready for tune first. Thanks and please can I get someone who can actually help.

Old 03/18/2012, 11:28 AM   #6
TOTO
JDM Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95hellatukd View Post
Wtf is right. Why would I buy cam gears for looks or with stock cams. And normally do stock cams come with cam cards? And duh everyone knows cam gears give u more hp.
Al I asked was for someone who knows wat there doing when I comes to degreeing in cams. not bullshit posts like this guy. Motor is not in car as of now til after cams r degreed they motor is poor man type r with ctr pistons and blox hsl cams and and all the other goodies like valvetrain and port and polish and intake and exhaust and yea I bought the super fast aem tru time cam gears. The head has been milled but to a unknown amount. So timing about a quarter of a tooth off and with high lift cams and high compression I really wana get the most out of the setup. Obviously tuning is key to any setup but gotta get it ready for tune first. Thanks and please can I get someone who can actually help.
You would be suprised what you see when you come from a city. (chicago)

easy there fella. I just misread your question. If you dont believe me, i just built a motor just like yours. i have all that crap installed in my civic. b20v with aem cam gears and pro 1's with supporting valvetrain. i just had a shop do it, so during startup, if the valves slapped the pistons, its there fault and they would have to fix it due to it installer error. if your friend down the street degrees your cams in and doesnt do it right, somehow a valve touching a piston and bends the valve and cracks your head, is he going to buy you a new head?

If the motor is out of the car, why dont you take it to a shop that garentees the work anyways? they can set to TDC and check valve to piston clearance when being degreed in.

Old 03/18/2012, 05:52 PM   #7
95hellatukd
JDM Soldier

wasnt trying to be a dick just losts of bs reply on forums lately. thats problyt what i will do is just loadd it up and take it to a nearby shop if i can find one that can do it and garantee it. thanks for responce

Old 03/18/2012, 06:35 PM   #8
TOTO
JDM Fan

Its ok. Were cool. Just trying to help out lol hope Ya figure out the situation :D

Old 03/18/2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Charlie Moua
JDM King

Quote:
Its ok. Were cool. Just trying to help out lol hope Ya figure out the situation :D

Shawn Rosko can do it for you, he's in IA...

I only know of 2 guys in mn that i would trust degreeing any aftermarket cams...
Tou of P.R.E
Pat of R.D.R
Their best friends .... haha

Old 03/18/2012, 09:22 PM   #10
95hellatukd
JDM Soldier

Yea I talked to him before and he said we wouldn't be able to work anything out with out the cam centerline numbers. Which I don't have. So we kinda didn't take it any farther than that. All I have is were to set them at. Example: exhaust. 0 degrees and intake +1 -+2 degrees.

Old 03/18/2012, 11:19 PM   #11
mycarslow
JDM Knight

what cams did you buy? the centerlines have to be posted SOMEWHERE on the net , if you can find that then id have Rosko do it he's good shit

Built h22 62mm turbo e85
Old 03/19/2012, 07:30 AM   #12
95hellatukd
JDM Soldier

They r blox hsl camshafts. I have done a lot of research even contacted blox and nothingso if anyone can find the info that would be awesome thanks

Old 03/19/2012, 07:54 AM   #13
Charlie Moua
JDM King

blox hls are pretty decent cams.

If i did some leg work and got a print out of of the cam card would you be willing to pay me? lol

Old 03/19/2012, 08:01 AM   #14
Rosko
JDM Soldier

Quote:
i just had a shop do it, so during startup, if the valves slapped the pistons, its there fault and they would have to fix it due to it installer error.
Statements like this just leave a sick feeling in my stomach!!

If you already had the motor built and all you asked the shop to do was degree the setup, and they did, then you can't hardly go after them for installer error if something goes wrong unless you can prove that they degreed it to the wrong specs. I wouldnt guarantee anything that I didnt personally build and spec out the parts for, even then theres a handful of things that can go wrong after the build that a shop owner doesnt have control of. Guaranteeing your work is one thing, but guaranteeing the work of the engine builder, the parts manufacturers involved, the customers ability to tune the motor and their ability to drive it is another. Theres alot that goes into degreeing a cam and personally I feel thats part of the building process. If you werent the one to build it, then its hard to put a guarantee on that. High compression motors arent easy to assemble and could very easily be damaged before the "cam degree'er" gets his hands on it. Degreeing the cams also won't fix a setup that doesnt have the proper clearance in the first place, and if you werent the one to build the motor and spec out the parts then you have no control over those aspects and shouldnt be held liable when things dont work out. Ideally the cam degreeing would be done at several different stages of the engine build but often thats not the case. On the motors I build I will degree the cams as soon as the crank is in the motor and the head is on. I want to make sure they are degreed before the pistons go in, so I know that they wont interfere and also so I can look down the cylinder and visually check valve to valve clearance. If the crank isnt rotated in the correct position, valves can easily be bent and damaged when the head is installed and the timing belt is put on. Yes its alot of assembly and reassembly but thats just part of the building process and if I wasnt the one who did all that work I would sure have a problem putting a guarantee on it that there wouldnt be any issues.

www.roskoracing.com
1992 Honda Prelude 12.74@111.8 N/A
Old 03/19/2012, 09:42 AM   #15
95hellatukd
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Moua View Post
blox hls are pretty decent cams.

If i did some leg work and got a print out of of the cam card would you be willing to pay me? lol
dont u live a quite a distance away from dsm. i would be willing to pay of course but wat would the damage be to my wallet. no disrepect but r u a pretty highly recomended guy for engine work. just dont want a rookie doing the work. otherwise i would take a shot at it myself haha

Old 03/19/2012, 09:58 AM   #16
deadmoans
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosko View Post
Statements like this just leave a sick feeling in my stomach!!

If you already had the motor built and all you asked the shop to do was degree the setup, and they did, then you can't hardly go after them for installer error if something goes wrong unless you can prove that they degreed it to the wrong specs. I wouldnt guarantee anything that I didnt personally build and spec out the parts for, even then theres a handful of things that can go wrong after the build that a shop owner doesnt have control of. Guaranteeing your work is one thing, but guaranteeing the work of the engine builder, the parts manufacturers involved, the customers ability to tune the motor and their ability to drive it is another. Theres alot that goes into degreeing a cam and personally I feel thats part of the building process. If you werent the one to build it, then its hard to put a guarantee on that. High compression motors arent easy to assemble and could very easily be damaged before the "cam degree'er" gets his hands on it. Degreeing the cams also won't fix a setup that doesnt have the proper clearance in the first place, and if you werent the one to build the motor and spec out the parts then you have no control over those aspects and shouldnt be held liable when things dont work out. Ideally the cam degreeing would be done at several different stages of the engine build but often thats not the case. On the motors I build I will degree the cams as soon as the crank is in the motor and the head is on. I want to make sure they are degreed before the pistons go in, so I know that they wont interfere and also so I can look down the cylinder and visually check valve to valve clearance. If the crank isnt rotated in the correct position, valves can easily be bent and damaged when the head is installed and the timing belt is put on. Yes its alot of assembly and reassembly but thats just part of the building process and if I wasnt the one who did all that work I would sure have a problem putting a guarantee on it that there wouldnt be any issues.
Ahhhhhhhhh, someone who fucking gets it!!!!!!

Cheap, Fast or Reliable, You Can Only Choose Two.
Old 03/19/2012, 10:22 AM   #17
mycarslow
JDM Knight

jdmcity needs a like button lol for the above .....
ill do dome looking

Built h22 62mm turbo e85
Old 03/19/2012, 11:01 AM   #18
luis31
Jefe De Jefes

Quote:
dont u live a quite a distance away from dsm. i would be willing to pay of course but wat would the damage be to my wallet. no disrepect but r u a pretty highly recomended guy for engine work. just dont want a rookie doing the work. otherwise i would take a shot at it myself haha
i think he just means to find the cam card. i dont think hes talking about degreeing in the cams.

DSM'S, WALKING THE THIN LINE BETWEEN STARTING AND JUNKYARD SINCE '89
Old 03/19/2012, 11:36 AM   #19
95hellatukd
JDM Soldier

Well I knew that since I assembled the motor it wouldn't be garanteed I guess I was meaning a garantee to be done the right way. Cuz I know anything can happen when it comes to engine mods.

I wasn't sure if he was talking about driving here and degreeing them in or just getting the card but after readingit a second time it sounds more that way. Haha. But still would be willing to pay for a cam card with all info. As long as its the correct numbers. Not just assumtions. That's why I was wondering if he's a good guy for the job. Again no disrespect just don't know the guy

Old 03/19/2012, 12:42 PM   #20
Charlie Moua
JDM King

Quote:
Well I knew that since I assembled the motor it wouldn't be garanteed I guess I was meaning a garantee to be done the right way. Cuz I know anything can happen when it comes to engine mods.

I wasn't sure if he was talking about driving here and degreeing them in or just getting the card but after readingit a second time it sounds more that way. Haha. But still would be willing to pay for a cam card with all info. As long as its the correct numbers. Not just assumtions. That's why I was wondering if he's a good guy for the job. Again no disrespect just don't know the guy
see vouch thread on honda-tech.com
i'm a good as they get in terms of online credintals.

I don't degree it myself but Tou or Pat would.
yes they build wicked motors.

2.2bvtec 277whp... build in 2004 ...... running on some low-budget compcams we got for free... nicer cams like pro3 would make a hell of a differnce.
1.8 lsv (stock block) pump gas 240whp
2.0 gsr 255whp e85
plenty of b20v with degreed cams making +220whp...

I'm sure i can get you the cam card.
I would proably charge like $45 for it since it would be direct from Blox themselves.

Once you have it i would highly sugguest touching base with shean again.
Having local guys who can help out when you need it is priceless.
If he's too busy i'm sure I could have Tou or Pat do it for $450 min... takes a few hours

To put it in perespective it King Motorsports charges $550
if you want the right power you'll pay.
Cause in NA, after you get all the boltons you can, it's all about the fine tuning like cams, exhaust manifolds, and intake design.