Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Naturally Aspirated

Old 07/02/2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Bmwz389
JDM Soldier

Default Manual Transmission Fluid Really Dark

Hey guys,

Probably a REALLY stupid question here.

I recently bought a used YS1 off a member off of here. The trans has a lot of black buildup in the bellhousing, which I would assume was from a bad Rear Main Seal (hopefully). It had it's typical black film of clutch material in the bellhousing as well.

My biggest concern is I tipped the trans over to inspect the housing yesterday, and the little fluid that came out was pretty dark, almost black. I've never seen BLACK fluid in a manual trans.

However, if it stupidly common for people to put gear oil in their trans instead of ATF.

How risky does this trans sound? The guy changed his number shortly after and I cannot get a hold of him. I basically don't want to waste time installing something that could be obviously bad. Is there any way to bench test it?

ASAP help would be greatly appreciated! I have a three day window before I go out of town lol.

Thanks!

- Brandon

I want your DA parts! LS/V high compression build in progress.
Old 07/03/2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Charlie Moua
JDM King

Default Re: Manual Transmission Fluid Really Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwz389 View Post
Hey guys,

Probably a REALLY stupid question here.

I recently bought a used YS1 off a member off of here. The trans has a lot of black buildup in the bellhousing, which I would assume was from a bad Rear Main Seal (hopefully). It had it's typical black film of clutch material in the bellhousing as well.

My biggest concern is I tipped the trans over to inspect the housing yesterday, and the little fluid that came out was pretty dark, almost black. I've never seen BLACK fluid in a manual trans.

However, if it stupidly common for people to put gear oil in their trans instead of ATF.

How risky does this trans sound? The guy changed his number shortly after and I cannot get a hold of him. I basically don't want to waste time installing something that could be obviously bad. Is there any way to bench test it?

ASAP help would be greatly appreciated! I have a three day window before I go out of town lol.

Thanks!

- Brandon
No mtf should never get dark/black like oil. Honestly don't think it's possible.

honestly the only way to tell if a tranny is 100% working condition is to :
a) take it apart and check out all clearences, sycnros, gears, shift fork, bearings
or
b) install it and try it out through the gears.

my rule of thumb with buying complex parts (turbos, dist, some electronics, complete blocks or head) is that you better buy from trusted seller, or from someone you know you can get your money back from. no matter how good the deal may seem.

If nobody local to you knows how to work on honda tranny for cheap, your best bet is to installl the tranny and test it out. Sure you loose out on time, some money for fluids ect.

If the tranny doesn't work PM me... I have a tranny graveyard of parts. lol

CNC Werx
team4piston
Jordan Tuned
Rocket Motorsports
Modern Automotive Performance
Old 07/03/2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Bmwz389
JDM Soldier

Well I was painting it yesterday so I drained the rest of the fluid out. I'm not sure WHERE the BLACK oil fluid came from, but the fluid inside the pan was like a light tea color. Which is typical if the fluid was never serviced it's entire life haha.

I think it should be fine. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping some assclown didn't rip me off.

Worst case is, I'll be getting ahold of you.

Old 07/04/2013, 12:04 PM   #4
99eclipse
JDM King

who'd u buy it off?

Old 07/05/2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Bmwz389
JDM Soldier

I'm not really sure now. I can't find any PM's and no thread posts or threads I've created. Maybe I got his number off here and never posted in the forum.