Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Miscellaneous Forum > Appearance/Cosmetic

Old 12/10/2012, 10:35 AM   #126
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Default Re: Technicks 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by H22APWRD94 View Post
Nick, get me a better pic of the wastegate exit point. Looks like it could use a little work. Don't need any boost creep on a smaller turbo.
I'll try to when I get some time. I'm not going to run that flange on it tho, and internally it looks like it could use a bit of cleaning up.

I'm going to take it to Joe to have him look over it and switch out the wastegate flange. If he thinks it's a crappy manifold then I'll have him cut the flanges off to use them and make a custom manifold for me.

Last edited by Dj Technick; 12/10/2012 at 10:38 AM.

Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)
Old 12/10/2012, 12:02 PM   #127
crxh22honda
JDM King

how does boost creep happen because of a flange? doesn't open or shut all the way? i'm serious idk.

Old 12/10/2012, 12:18 PM   #128
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxh22honda View Post
how does boost creep happen because of a flange? doesn't open or shut all the way? i'm serious idk.
Sizing and flow to it are 2 big factors. If it's too low in the collector it won't get all of the exhaust flow to it and 2 cylinders could still power the turbo thus leading to building more boost when you're not supposed to be building anymore. You want the wastegate to be placed in a good location so that doesn't happen.

Or at least that's what I always thought...

Old 12/10/2012, 03:56 PM   #129
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

Correct. It is all about wastegate priority in relation to the flow of exhaust gas. If you look at a HyTech turbo manifold, you will see what I am talking about. Priority is the main design trait in one of those. When running lower amounts of boost with a smaller wastegate, it is about being able to bleed off the excessive exhaust gases efficiently. Otherwise, you end up with boost creep. Normally, stepping up to the next size larger in a wastegate will do away with minimal to moderate creep. I have seen manifolds designed so poorly, that even running without a wastegate will net positive pressure. Nick, if the wastegate priority, angle and internal dimensions look like shit, I would definitely look at redoing the wastegate exit. What gate are you looking to run? I prefer the MV-S/MV-R Tial units. by far some of the nicest out there. I will be adding a 2nd MV-R to my manifold after next year. Want to try and run some lower pressure for street use, and it would allow me to control lower boost levels a lot easier.

Old 12/10/2012, 06:15 PM   #130
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Whicher tial that uses the v band flanges is the one that im going to use.

Old 12/10/2012, 10:00 PM   #131
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Technick View Post
Whicher tial that uses the v band flanges is the one that im going to use.
Both the MV-R and the MV-S do. The R is a 44mm gate whereas the S is a 38mm gate.

Old 12/11/2012, 07:30 AM   #132
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Quote:
Originally Posted by H22APWRD94 View Post
Both the MV-R and the MV-S do. The R is a 44mm gate whereas the S is a 38mm gate.
Didn't realize they both came that way. The MV-R is the one I'll be doing. It's going to be a while before I do anything tho. Still have a lot of other things I need to do with the car first.

Old 12/11/2012, 07:47 AM   #133
crxh22honda
JDM King

Awesome learned something new. I better stick with n/a lol

Old 01/04/2013, 07:43 AM   #134
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Just recently bought a truck. Well an SUV. It's a 2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited. This sucker is pretty damn big for me, and it sure is nice. Heated seats, moon roof, a radio. I love it! I plan on using her to tow the 240 to events for the 2013 season. No more holding back at events anymore now that my fear of "how will I get home if I wreck?" will be gone.

Also update on some things I'm working towards doing. Decided to throw the turbo upgrade on the back burner. I decided there were some more important things I needed to attend to. Plus I think that stock turbo should be able to handle a little extra boost. Going to install my EMS over the winter finally. Switching to Speed Density when I do it, then going to shoot for 250whp or maybe a little more on the stock turbo. Currently I'm at 222whp.

Next part on my list are these bad ass GKtech knuckles. They are adjustable and have interchangeable steering arms as well. Finally I'll have some crazy steering lock like the pros and I'll be capable of getting serious angle out of the car.

These knuckles are a brand new product and literally just hit the market 2-3 weeks ago. They are made in Australia and I don't think the first orders have even reached the US yet. So all I have to show are their 3D renderings of the product and no actual pictures.

Old 01/16/2013, 09:30 AM   #135
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Getting closer to having a pair of super bad ass knuckles on the car. Will be placing my order this Friday and begin the long anticipated wait for them to ship from Austrailia.

Here are some pics of the first knuckles to be installed on a car. For the arms there are 4 selections. Stock, JP special (slight ackerman change), Exreme (super quick steering 65 degrees steering lock for inside wheel, most ackerman effects of them all), and lastly the bad boys I will be ordering, Zero Ackerman (final angle for these is currently unknown due to several factors such as wheel sizing, what LCA is being used, what tension rods, and what swaybar if there is a swaybar.)

The first ones to be installed (ones in the pics) are using the Zero Ackerman arms, the owner/driver of the car Simon Michelmore said just from eye balling them they are making more angle then the Driftworks knuckles which boastfully claim a 66 degree inside wheel angle with proper supporting mods and alignment. With this much steering angle coming into corners backwards will not be an issue at all, especially when using zero ackerman since the trailing wheel angle wont be limiting max drift angle.

One last thing to show the amazing quality and work gone into the development of these knuckles. GKtech recently released info on the money invested into development of the knuckles and testing. Currently they are sitting at close to $35,000 and are still continuing to test them.

Here is one of the original prototypes being tested for fatigue and overall strength on the chromoly spindles.

With such dedication, time, work, and money spent to design and test these I am more than happy to spend the money on their product. Plus with the interchangeable arms option, if new arms are ever released that turn out better I can always swap them out, or even make my own arms. The options are endless.

For more detailed info visit gktechs website at http://www.gktech.com.au/

Last edited by Dj Technick; 01/16/2013 at 09:35 AM.

Old 01/16/2013, 11:46 AM   #136
JBruckhoff
Function>Form

wow those are some pretty insane knuckles. and the build quality definitely looks to be top notch.

04 G35 coupe Vortech supercharged *sold*
09 Pontiac G8 GT
Old 01/16/2013, 12:46 PM   #137
The Laser
JDM King

Dear god those things are beefy. Almost like you could drive a tank over them on hard concrete and they wouldn't do anything lol.

"does this have V-tec? i bet it has V-tec"
"V-tec is for fags. This has boost"
Old 01/16/2013, 01:25 PM   #138
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Aircraft Grade Billit Aluminum with Chromoly spindles. I think it's safe to say there won't ever be a worry of them breaking.

I also forgot to mention the roll center adjustment moving the spindle upwards and adding spacing to the bottom of the knuckle. The arms are adjustable up and down for bump steer adjustment and lastly they use inserts in the upper portion of the knuckle where you can do +/- 2 degrees of camber.

I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting about them, there is just so much going on that it's hard to remember everything. Basically they are insane and are in my eyes the best knuckles on the market once they hit the market that is. Still on pre order right now and I believe Feb is the expected date for people to receive pre orders.

Here's an example of what they should look like when at full lock.

Last edited by Dj Technick; 01/16/2013 at 01:32 PM.

Old 01/16/2013, 01:34 PM   #139
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Another example of what they should be able to reach for steering lock.

This supra is clock in at 65 degrees.

Old 01/16/2013, 04:48 PM   #140
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Ahh snaps!!! Best girlfriend ever! Got home from work and she hands me a card with a receipt in it. Can you say Big Country Labs Bitch!?

Old 01/16/2013, 07:10 PM   #141
mike03
JDM King

Quote:

This is very interesting. I've never seen this setup before. I'd like to see how it work in person.

I wonder how it'd handle with the wheel all the way in each direction. How would this affect the rack? or is it manual steering?

Every unique

Can't wait to see it all assembled together

DD: 00' Civic Ex

94' Honda Civic Ex - sold
Old 01/16/2013, 07:35 PM   #142
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike03 View Post
This is very interesting. I've never seen this setup before. I'd like to see how it work in person.

I wonder how it'd handle with the wheel all the way in each direction. How would this affect the rack? or is it manual steering?

Every unique

Can't wait to see it all assembled together
Works just like normal steering knuckles work. Except they are shorter for quicker steering and moved out with no ackerman. Also everyone uses power steering racks.

Old 01/16/2013, 08:34 PM   #143
The Laser
JDM King

Quote:
Ahh snaps!!! Best girlfriend ever! Got home from work and she hands me a card with a receipt in it. Can you say Big Country Labs Bitch!?

Haha "height:manly" that made me laugh for some reason

Old 01/17/2013, 07:43 AM   #144
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laser View Post
Haha "height:manly" that made me laugh for some reason
There's a story behind the name. When they made their first couple prototype wings they gave one to a Formula D driver. Apparently tech didn't like it and the wing was too high per Formula D rules so the driver had to remove it. It ended up pissing a lot of people off when that happened so BCL decided to make Formula D rule height legs or if you're a real man and not a sissy you get the manly height.

I think it's BCL's way of getting back at Formula D to make them change the height restriction. Seriously, they cried over 2.5"

Old 01/17/2013, 08:01 AM   #145
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Also here is a diagram to show how the knuckles work. This image is for a different brand of knuckles but they all work the same way.

Stock is on the left, aftermarket/modified on the right.

Old 01/18/2013, 08:46 AM   #146
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Boom! GKtech knuckles have just been ordered! This now means I have 2 parts on order that are still on pre-sale. It's gonna be awesome knowing that I'll have been one of the first people to rock 2 parts, and possibly the first to rock them as a combo!

Old 01/22/2013, 08:06 AM   #147
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Got to thinking and suddenly realized that my inner tie rods won't be long enough for the new knuckles. So I went online to order a set from PBM to find they are out of stock :( Luckly they are a bunch of cool guys there and with a simple email I was able to place a pre-buy order for when they get the next batch in stock. There's another part to add to my wait list of anticipated parts to be arriving.

For anyone that is curious about the PBM inner tie rods and why I chose them over other tie rods here are their specs. Also note they are the only company to have some of these features and the strongest materiel ones that I know of.

~ Teflon lined spherical bearing joint
~ 7mm built in rack spacer for increased steering angle
~ 7mm longer rack threads
~ 20mm longer threads on the tie rod end
~ Black electro coating with gold plated lock ring
~ CrMo rod material

The only downside to these tie rods is they limit suspension travel, however the upside to them highly out weighs the down side. Plus with how stiff of suspension I have and what little travel I experience I won't have an issue with them.

Old 01/22/2013, 09:09 AM   #148
The Laser
JDM King

Those are some beefy as fuck looking tie-rods. I'm amazed the lady friend is so supportive of all this spending lol. And I now see the difference in the knuckles. Last time the image wouldn't show up.

Old 01/22/2013, 10:13 AM   #149
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laser View Post
Those are some beefy as fuck looking tie-rods. I'm amazed the lady friend is so supportive of all this spending lol. And I now see the difference in the knuckles. Last time the image wouldn't show up.
The lady is all about drifting and spending. Hell she bought me that BCL wing, the thing costs like $600+ after shipping! Now that's what I call wife material! She also just bought a 300zx that she plans to 1jz swap and drift in the coming seasons.

Yeah the tie rods are pretty hardcore. The ones I have now are pretty beafy and hold up just fine, only they wont be long enough. Also I still need to order the SPL outer tie rods, I just hope the combo is long enough. If not then I'll probably buy a different coupling nut that's longer which should do the trick. (technically I can do that now, but I don't like my outer tie rods, and these PBM inners should add some more steering angle)

These are the outers I still need to order.

Old 01/22/2013, 10:19 AM   #150
crxh22honda
JDM King

just got caught up with all of this. pretty amazing stuff i must say. i can't wait to see this all going. i wanna drive it