JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Manufacturer Forum > Honda/Acura Forum > Acura TL & RL

Old 07/07/2013, 08:30 PM   #1
CorbinMB
JDM Soldier

Default Will These Fit my car

Im debating on if I should buy these rims. Im not really sure if they will fit, but if they do I will forsure buy them.
Specs are, rears 18x9.75 with 225/40/18 tires. And the fronts 17x9.75
They will be going on my 2002 Acura TL-S.
Let me know, Thanks!

Old 07/07/2013, 09:12 PM   #2
luis31
Jefe De Jefes

Default Re: Will These Fit my car

They Will Fit, But They Will Poke Out. If You Drop The Car I'm Fairly Certain Fender Work, Camber Work ANd Stuff Will Be I Order.

DSM'S, WALKING THE THIN LINE BETWEEN STARTING AND JUNKYARD SINCE '89
Old 07/07/2013, 09:28 PM   #3
luis31
Jefe De Jefes

Another Thing, What's The Offset? IF Its Aggressive Enough You Might Need Work Either Way. Also Why Stagger? Cars Gon Look Odd. If It Is Wide That You Want, Wait till Something With All 4S Matching Comes Up

Old 07/07/2013, 11:17 PM   #4
CorbinMB
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis31 View Post
They Will Fit, But They Will Poke Out. If You Drop The Car I'm Fairly Certain Fender Work, Camber Work ANd Stuff Will Be I Order.
Im gonna keep it stock height

Quote:
Another Thing, What's The Offset? IF Its Aggressive Enough You Might Need Work Either Way. Also Why Stagger? Cars Gon Look Odd. If It Is Wide That You Want, Wait till Something With All 4S Matching Comes Up
Im not sure of the offset, wasn't said in his ad. They looked good staggered on his car. So im wondering how they would also look on mine. But im still looking around for something that fits just right. I dont want rubbing

Old 07/07/2013, 11:24 PM   #5
luis31
Jefe De Jefes

I Guess If You Dont Mind The Poke Look Then You Will Be Fine. Find Out The Offset Though. Kind Of Crucial. What Are The Rims On Currently

Old 07/07/2013, 11:53 PM   #6
CorbinMB
JDM Soldier

Quote:
I Guess If You Dont Mind The Poke Look Then You Will Be Fine. Find Out The Offset Though. Kind Of Crucial. What Are The Rims On Currently
Okay will do. I have on the stock Type-S rims (17 inch)

Old 07/08/2013, 06:24 AM   #7
luis31
Jefe De Jefes

No, I Mean The WheelsYou Want To Buy, What Are They On Now

Old 07/08/2013, 08:42 AM   #8
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

It's really really simple to figure out if they will fit. All you need is a tape measure and 5 minutes.

First of all what's the offset on the wheels you're looking at? That'll make a huge difference on fitment.

Second you'll need to know your stock wheel width and offset.

Then lastly you'll need to know the amount of room your wheel wells provide.

Here's what you'll do from there. Take a tape measure and measure the difference between the lip of your current rims and your wheel well lip. Then measure the difference between your rims inside lip and the first thing it might come in contact with such as your suspension or wheel well.

From there it's basic math, if you add the differences plus your stock wheels width that'll tell you the total width you could possibly fit. If it turns out that you can fit 9.75 wheels then you're off to a good start. From there you simply do your offset math to make sure the wheel wont be poking too far out or too far in.

If it's too far in you can always add a spacer, however if it's too far out there's nothing you can do... well unless you're one of those hellaflush homos then you could throw a fuck ton of camber at it and that'll make it fit.

Old 07/08/2013, 08:48 AM   #9
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
If it's too far in you can always add a spacer, however if it's too far out there's nothing you can do... well unless you're one of those hellaflush homos then you could throw a fuck ton of camber at it and that'll make it fit.
Take that back, I forgot you've got the option of rolling/pulling your fenders to make them fit. Of course you can only go so far with it. Or you could add fender flares... But from the sounds of it I don't think you're wanting to pull the living hell out of your fenders or add flares.

Old 07/08/2013, 10:01 AM   #10
CorbinMB
JDM Soldier

Quote:
No, I Mean The WheelsYou Want To Buy, What Are They On Now
He had them on an RX7

Old 07/08/2013, 10:05 AM   #11
CorbinMB
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Take that back, I forgot you've got the option of rolling/pulling your fenders to make them fit. Of course you can only go so far with it. Or you could add fender flares... But from the sounds of it I don't think you're wanting to pull the living hell out of your fenders or add flares.
No way man lol, I could roll my fenders, but I've always worried if that would cause any rust later down the road?

Old 07/08/2013, 10:07 AM   #12
CorbinMB
JDM Soldier

Quote:
It's really really simple to figure out if they will fit. All you need is a tape measure and 5 minutes.

First of all what's the offset on the wheels you're looking at? That'll make a huge difference on fitment.

Second you'll need to know your stock wheel width and offset.

Then lastly you'll need to know the amount of room your wheel wells provide.

Here's what you'll do from there. Take a tape measure and measure the difference between the lip of your current rims and your wheel well lip. Then measure the difference between your rims inside lip and the first thing it might come in contact with such as your suspension or wheel well.

From there it's basic math, if you add the differences plus your stock wheels width that'll tell you the total width you could possibly fit. If it turns out that you can fit 9.75 wheels then you're off to a good start. From there you simply do your offset math to make sure the wheel wont be poking too far out or too far in.

For the wheels I want to get, the offset is 20 rear, and 25 front.
And thanks for the helpful tips!

Old 07/08/2013, 10:50 AM   #13
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

Awesome, well I'm going to run you through the math on this quick. This way all you need to do is quick use a tape measure in your free time.

Lets start with the factory wheels. Now I'm not 100% sure on this but according to what I've found online your stock wheels ar 6.5" wide with a +55 offset.

Now to start lets convert everything to MM because it's much easier to do that way.

6.5" rim = 165.1mm

Now from there we need to find the centerline. Simply divide by 2.
165.1 / 2 = 82.55mm

Once we have the centerline we can add or subtract the offset. Depends on if it's + or -. In this case its +55 so we will be adding it.

82.55 + 55 = 137.55mm

This gives us our "Back spacing" we will also need to know the "Front spacing" So to get that we take the overall width and subtract the back spacing.

165.1 - 137.55 = 27.55mm

Now we have both the "back spacing" (137.55mm) and the "front spacing" (27.55mm) we can convert this back to inches now.

Back spacing = 5.42"
Front spacing = 1.08"

Next up is the new wheels you are looking at. We need to do the same for those. Lets start with the fronts. 9.75 +25

9.75" = 247.65mm

247.65 / 2 = 123.83mm centerline

123.83 + 25 = 148.83mm = 5.86" back spacing

247.65 - 148.83 = 98.82mm = 3.89" front spacing

Now that we have the front let's get the rear.

123.83 + 20 = 143.83mm = 5.66" back spacing

247.65 - 143.83 = 103.82mm = 4.09" front spacing

Hopefully you're still with me at this point. Next up is to figure the difference in both the "front spacing" and "back spacing" for both the front and rear.

New wheels - Stock wheels

Front
5.86 - 5.42 = .44" Back spacing difference
3.89 - 1.08 = 2.81" Front spacing difference

Rear
5.66 - 5.42 = .24" Back spacing difference
4.09 - 1.08 = 3.01" Front spacing difference

Now that we have these differences what does this mean? Simple, that's how much farther the front (face) of the wheel will stick out compared to stock and how much farther the back (inside) of the wheel will stick in.

So in order for these to fit when you hold a tape measure up to your wheels up front you will need a distance of 2.81" from the lip of your rim to the lip of your fender and on the inside you'll need a gap of at least .44"

Same for the rear, you'll need a distance of 3.01" distance from your lip of the rim to the lip of your quarter panel and .24" gap on the inside.

I can further explain anything that might confuse you about this. So feel free to ask.

Last edited by TheMaster; 07/08/2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07/08/2013, 01:37 PM   #14
CorbinMB
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Awesome, well I'm going to run you through the math on this quick. This way all you need to do is quick use a tape measure in your free time.

Lets start with the factory wheels. Now I'm not 100% sure on this but according to what I've found online your stock wheels ar 6.5" wide with a +55 offset.

Now to start lets convert everything to MM because it's much easier to do that way.

6.5" rim = 165.1mm

Now from there we need to find the centerline. Simply divide by 2.
165.1 / 2 = 82.55mm

Once we have the centerline we can add or subtract the offset. Depends on if it's + or -. In this case its +55 so we will be adding it.

82.55 + 55 = 137.55mm

This gives us our "Back spacing" we will also need to know the "Front spacing" So to get that we take the overall width and subtract the back spacing.

165.1 - 137.55 = 27.55mm

Now we have both the "back spacing" (137.55mm) and the "front spacing" (27.55mm) we can convert this back to inches now.

Back spacing = 5.42"
Front spacing = 1.08"

Next up is the new wheels you are looking at. We need to do the same for those. Lets start with the fronts. 9.75 +25

9.75" = 247.65mm

247.65 / 2 = 123.83mm centerline

123.83 + 25 = 148.83mm = 5.86" back spacing

247.65 - 148.83 = 98.82mm = 3.89" front spacing

Now that we have the front let's get the rear.

123.83 + 20 = 143.83mm = 5.66" back spacing

247.65 - 143.83 = 103.82mm = 4.09" front spacing

Hopefully you're still with me at this point. Next up is to figure the difference in both the "front spacing" and "back spacing" for both the front and rear.

New wheels - Stock wheels

Front
5.86 - 5.42 = .44" Back spacing difference
3.89 - 1.08 = 2.81" Front spacing difference

Rear
5.66 - 5.42 = .24" Back spacing difference
4.09 - 1.08 = 3.01" Front spacing difference

Now that we have these differences what does this mean? Simple, that's how much farther the front (face) of the wheel will stick out compared to stock and how much farther the back (inside) of the wheel will stick in.

So in order for these to fit when you hold a tape measure up to your wheels up front you will need a distance of 2.81" from the lip of your rim to the lip of your fender and on the inside you'll need a gap of at least .44"

Same for the rear, you'll need a distance of 3.01" distance from your lip of the rim to the lip of your quarter panel and .24" gap on the inside.

I can further explain anything that might confuse you about this. So feel free to ask.
Thanks for all the help man!

Old 07/08/2013, 02:07 PM   #15
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

No problem, and if you have any questions about it let me know I can get more detailed with it all.

Old 07/08/2013, 10:39 PM   #16
CorbinMB
JDM Soldier

So I measured how much space is in the wheel-well, and in the front is about 9 inches, and in the rear about 10. But im not quite sure if I measured right. I measured from where the strut is to the end of the fender.

Old 07/09/2013, 09:29 AM   #17
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

You measure from wherever the first point of contact would be.

If you only have 9 inches in the wheel well then you're gonna need to figure a way to make it fit which will mean pulling your fender out at least an inch. You still need to check that the offset will even work too because that'll make a difference as well.

Old 07/09/2013, 04:02 PM   #18
Tsoi
JDM Soldier

Those will fit with the right amount of work. Nice specs.

Old 07/09/2013, 04:07 PM   #19
CorbinMB
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsoi View Post
Those will fit with the right amount of work. Nice specs.
What kind of "work" do you have in mind?

Old 07/09/2013, 04:30 PM   #20
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinMB View Post
What kind of "work" do you have in mind?
measure the distance from the lip of your quarter panel/fender from the lip of your factory rims and I can tell you just how much work.

Old 07/10/2013, 12:54 AM   #21
CorbinMB
JDM Soldier

Quote:
measure the distance from the lip of your quarter panel/fender from the lip of your factory rims and I can tell you just how much work.
About 2 inches

Old 07/10/2013, 08:41 AM   #22
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinMB View Post
About 2 inches
You need to have a ~3+ inches. So in order to get these wheels to fit you'll need to roll and pull your fenders/quarter panels around an inch to an inch and a half.

Old 07/10/2013, 10:07 AM   #23
Tsoi
JDM Soldier

And if you're really obsessive, you might still want to throw some spacers on after rolling and pulling haha.