JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Manufacturer Forum > Honda/Acura Forum > Honda Prelude

Old 06/02/2013, 09:24 PM   #1
ialuder
JDM King

Default coil packs....

im in need of redoing my ignition system completely. so after spending the last few days researching the coil pack and the kits available i have a few questions.

i see hondata has their product and would be nice to run. i have the s300 now. this would just plug and play off of it. do a quick retune needs one anyways. i have a few question about running this over changing to the alternative.

i see it recommends parts and certain coils. has anyone tried to use different coils with the s300? do you really need the seals they prefer? i could get a set of rx7 coils pretty cheap.

does the h22 spark plug cover work? Rosko you making a cover?

also i hate the bulky looks of the distributor and notice it doesnt work with the aem eps. is their something out or in the works to remove that and cap it?

is there better kits out? would it benefit me to run the aem epm on a different management? or will other kits work in the hondata?

Build for yourself, the way you want, never follow a trend, be imaginative.
Old 06/02/2013, 09:59 PM   #2
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

Default Re: coil packs....

If you want to run completely without a distributor, you will need to switch EMS. The S300 will work with their COP setup as well as something like an M&W Pro 10 and Crane PS92 coil, or a more basic system using an ICM bypass module, digital ignition box and external coil. I personally am on the ICM bypass, a Summit CDI box and a Crane PS92. Running my plugs at a .035 gap currently, and am going to try and go larger this season.

Old 06/03/2013, 04:35 AM   #3
crxh22honda
JDM King

Dont qoute me on this.

I thought I read somewhere that coil packs are only good up to a certain amount of power. Which for most of us it won't effect because I thought it was 450hp+ why that is I dont remember.

Old 06/03/2013, 07:16 AM   #4
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxh22honda View Post
Dont qoute me on this.

I thought I read somewhere that coil packs are only good up to a certain amount of power. Which for most of us it won't effect because I thought it was 450hp+ why that is I dont remember.
Stock K series ignition has gone over 1000whp. Coils are pretty nice, but I would prefer a pickup like the T1 hall effect sensor or an AEM EPM over the stock distributor.

Old 06/03/2013, 07:50 AM   #5
crxh22honda
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by H22APWRD94 View Post
Stock K series ignition has gone over 1000whp. Coils are pretty nice, but I would prefer a pickup like the T1 hall effect sensor or an AEM EPM over the stock distributor.
Dang!! That's awesome. Is there really any gains from switching to coils. Or a big enough difference to matter that much?

Old 06/03/2013, 08:06 AM   #6
TheMaster
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxh22honda View Post
Dang!! That's awesome. Is there really any gains from switching to coils. Or a big enough difference to matter that much?
Coil on plug is the future! It's the greatest!

Old 06/03/2013, 08:52 AM   #7
ialuder
JDM King

Would it benefit me swapping the ems to run the t1 or would the hondata be better cost efficent way? I haven't look much at the mw pro 10. Other than it was the orginal start to the coil swaps. Mike are you using hondata? What is roskos set up? I seen his and it was distro less. Look really clean.

I agree mike i would rather run the aem epm. However I'm not sold or really even been sold on the aem ems. Wish hondata would make a kit to adapt to it or another distroless system. I see neptune is able to run the epm. Haven't read much else.

Old 06/03/2013, 09:08 AM   #8
crxh22honda
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
Coil on plug is the future! It's the greatest!
Oohhh well in that case.

Old 06/03/2013, 05:06 PM   #9
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialuder View Post
Would it benefit me swapping the ems to run the t1 or would the hondata be better cost efficent way? I haven't look much at the mw pro 10. Other than it was the orginal start to the coil swaps. Mike are you using hondata? What is roskos set up? I seen his and it was distro less. Look really clean.

I agree mike i would rather run the aem epm. However I'm not sold or really even been sold on the aem ems. Wish hondata would make a kit to adapt to it or another distroless system. I see neptune is able to run the epm. Haven't read much else.
I am on Neptune RTP, and unless I am mistaken, you can't run a T1 trigger or AEM EPM on it. The OEM distributor sends a sine wave signal to the ECU. The EPM or T1 trigger is a square wave signal. The OEM ECU cannot convert the square wave signal by itself is my understanding.

Rosko is on AEM and running the EPM.

Old 06/03/2013, 06:49 PM   #10
ialuder
JDM King

is there a way to run the epm t1 trigger to a secondary device then to the ecu. a converter of some sort, to change square wave so the ecu can read it? i bet that would cost more just for the looks of distro less.

i think at then end of the day it comes down to running hondata with hondata. i guess ill purchase their kit and give it a try. if it fails ill sell it all and go another route.