JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Tuning

Old 03/16/2012, 06:39 PM   #1
95hellatukd
JDM Soldier

Default NEED HELP timing issues on new build

so i got everything together and let me start off by saying ive done timing plenty of times before. just need help with this one. i came to the conclusion after double checking everything else that the head or deck has been milled. idk how much cuz i didnt have it done but one of previous owners must have. please give me some help or any info. its a high compression build and high lift cams so dont really wana just guess. and cant dial in the cams cuz i bought them used and dont have the centerline info. thanks for any info.
as u can see this lines up perfect

these not so much

everything is set at 0 degrees on the aem tru time cam gears so idk how to adjust it with the head being milled or decked. thanks again for any info

Old 03/16/2012, 07:03 PM   #2
cd8h22a
JDM Soldier

Default Re: NEED HELP timing issues on new build

rotate the exhaust can back 1 tooth and the intake cam one tooth than put tension on it and crank the engine over by hand about 4 to 6 full turns and recheck

Old 03/16/2012, 07:11 PM   #3
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

That thing is nowhere near a full tooth off. It is around 3-4 degrees. I still think they can be degree'd in as long as we track the events. Pretty straightforward. Would need to lock in the high lift lobe.

Old 03/16/2012, 08:53 PM   #4
95hellatukd
JDM Soldier

yea its about 2-3 degrees on both cams. yea mike it seems like everyone ive talked to cant or dont wana degree them in without centerline number. im willing to load up the motor and bring it were ever to have someone help me out with this. just dont wana bend a valve or anything even worse by cutting corners. thanks for responces so far.

Old 03/18/2012, 12:01 PM   #5
TOTO
JDM Fan

I just had this happen to me. I dont remember what i did to figure it out, (my shop was helping me degree it)

It had something to do with the duel valve springs being really stiff making it look like the gears were off. I dont remember how or what i did to fix it. what i kept doing was rotate the motor, tighten the tensioner pulley to where it was waaaay to tight. and then rotated it back around, then loosened it. did this in a series of patterns and then i looked at it and it was TDC. I really wonder where that HT thread i had went. Im going to try and find it.

i dont believe (dont quote me) the milled head has anything to do with timing. it will only increase the compression in the combustion chamber making the valves closer to the pistons.

1994 Bmw 325i M3 Swap Dinan Special

1997 Civic Ex B20v Turbo.
Old 03/18/2012, 03:19 PM   #6
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

A milled head will definitely alter the alignment of the timing. The shorter deck and head height makes the distance between the crank and the cams shorter while the belt does not change, and it forces the cam gears to be rotated to match. It usually only throws it off a few degrees depending on how much the surfaces have been milled.

Old 03/18/2012, 06:33 PM   #7
TOTO
JDM Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by H22APWRD94 View Post
A milled head will definitely alter the alignment of the timing. The shorter deck and head height makes the distance between the crank and the cams shorter while the belt does not change, and it forces the cam gears to be rotated to match. It usually only throws it off a few degrees depending on how much the surfaces have been milled.
That's something I will have to research more lol I thought with shorter deck you just tighten up the tensioner and not the timing. Learn sometime new everyday. :)

1994 Bmw 325i M3 Swap Dinan Special

1997 Civic Ex B20v Turbo.
Old 03/18/2012, 08:28 PM   #8
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

The tensioner just takes in the slack on the back side of the timing event. The timing event is aligned going clockwise from the crank gear.

Old 03/19/2012, 05:58 AM   #9
Rosko
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTO View Post
That's something I will have to research more lol I thought with shorter deck you just tighten up the tensioner and not the timing. Learn sometime new everyday. :)
You will need to advance the cam gears to compensate for the milled head, probably just a degree is all it will take. That will put the cams in the correct position, but unfortunately the marks on the outer part of the gear will always look slightly retarded (slightly clockwise from lined up)

You should of course degree the cams to get it 100% in the correct place though.

www.roskoracing.com
1992 Honda Prelude 12.74@111.8 N/A
Old 03/19/2012, 06:02 AM   #10
Rosko
JDM Soldier

Looking at your pictures again that actually looks like its correct assuming that the head is milled like you say and that the belt has tension on it.

A milled head doesnt help your valve clearance though. What are the specs of the motor again?

www.roskoracing.com
1992 Honda Prelude 12.74@111.8 N/A
Old 03/19/2012, 07:27 AM   #11
95hellatukd
JDM Soldier

Gsr bottom end with gsr rods and ctr pistons. Flat face valves in a b16 head with blox hsl cams with aem cam gears. Don't know how much was milled but it has a oem 3 layer head gasket on it. And belt has tension in pics that's as close as I can get it. I want to degree in cams cuz even 5hp is a good thing especially with all motor

Old 03/19/2012, 07:32 AM   #12
95hellatukd
JDM Soldier

Haha rosko everyone keeps telling me to have u do it. Is there anyway to do it without the centerline. With doing the right way of course. Like how webb was saying

Old 03/22/2012, 07:24 PM   #13
deadmoans
JDM Knight

Aaaaaahhhhh fuck just eyeball it. What's a few thousandths of an inch between friends?

Cheap, Fast or Reliable, You Can Only Choose Two.
Old 03/22/2012, 07:28 PM   #14
deadmoans
JDM Knight

I'm pissed because I'm most likely in the same boat with my eclipse. The head's been planed so many times I had to have the machine shop measure it to make sure I could still use it. Then based on the machine shops numbers i bought a cometic head gasket something like .40 thicker than stock and then got some AEM cam gears. Sounds like fucking fun.

Cheap, Fast or Reliable, You Can Only Choose Two.
Old 03/23/2012, 09:39 AM   #15
95hellatukd
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmoans View Post
Aaaaaahhhhh fuck just eyeball it. What's a few thousandths of an inch between friends?
haha yea best friends especially when they meet.