JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Suspension/Chassis/Brakes

Old 06/13/2014, 08:46 AM   #1
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Default Camber / Caster Plates

Thought I would share my current project with everyone. Recently I took on designing and making a custom camber plate that also adjusted caster as well. Not only does it just adjust it but it adjusts it more than a traditional camber hat does moving the pillowball of the coilover past the shock tower circle they usually sit inside of.

The idea behind this design is to correct camber when running an extended front lower control arm, then on top of that there is some correction made to the caster which will help keep the wheels flat (or at least close to it) when the wheels are turned at full lock. This allowing you to run far less static and dynamic camber allowing for the most use of the tires and maintaining a lot of front grip.

Here's a quick pic of the part drawing.

The one thing I wanted to have when designing these is to keep from having to cut my shock tower in order to have the top of the shock/nut clear the tower. That's why the slotted portion is recessed and the plate itself is taller than normal.

I also decided with this being on the leading edge of competition I needed to put a logo on it. Currently there is only one company that offers a similar part and they just started selling them this month.

Another thing I would like to point out is that these will be made as a pair as one is needed for each side of the car.

Here's a quick comparison of the maximum adjustment these have compared to a standard camber plate.

As you can see it's a really big difference, but it needs to be this much since the average front lower control arm needs to be extended an inch or more in order to provide clearance for the tire so it won't hit the frame at full steering lock. When you move the LCA out the camber adjustment also needs to be moved out in order to prevent extreme negative camber settings.

I gave the part drawing to the machine shop about a month ago and just picked up the complete parts yesterday. Early next week they will be getting installed on a friends car as well as mine in order to go through some testing.

Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)
Old 06/13/2014, 03:05 PM   #2
mr.carr
drift_kid_s13

Default Re: Camber / Caster Plates

will these fit my mx73? if so shut up and take my money.

Google Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dahm
These things all clamp down like a sex sandwich.
Old 06/16/2014, 07:44 AM   #3
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.carr View Post
will these fit my mx73? if so shut up and take my money.
These will only fit a 240sx that I'm aware of.

Old 08/01/2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Quick update on these. Got them installed last night and they fit AMAZING!!! Still need to do the alignment and tweek a few things then testing will begin! So far before aligning and dialing them these have helped make huge corrections to my camber. Static camber was -6.5 degrees, currently have it worked down to -4.5 degrees with some room to shorten my LCA up a bit to hopefully get it closer to 0. These allowed me to add -4 degrees camber at the knuckle camber adjustment (that's why static camber isn't closer to 0) which helped reduce my camber at full lock on the lead wheel from +12.6 degrees to +6.7, that's nearly HALF the camber it was at before. It's not flat like I would like it to be but it's a heck of a lot closer. Will be making some caster adjustments to my LCA to try to help with that some more and see how things go.

Here's where my pillow ball was located before.

Here's where it sits maxed out. Can't even see the pillowball anymore!!!

Lastly here's a shot of the clearance between the shock nut and shock tower. Just enough and not too much ;D

Old 08/01/2014, 11:24 PM   #5
crxh22honda
JDM King

So sick! It will be interesting to see how much it saves your tire now, and the improvement. When can I drive it