JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Audio/Security/Video

Old 11/30/2010, 02:55 PM   #1
LowNsloEJ6
1SickUA7

Default audio suggestions

Im looking to upgrade the speakers and headunit in my civic over the winter. Im have become really peticular about how music sounds. I like my highs sounding crisp and clear, and my bass up. Im not a fan of using a subs in a civic. But what is a good brand that has great sound and quality? Speakers and headunits

08 TL-S
97 EJ6 D16Z6
98 EJ6 4Dr D16Y7 project 300,000
Old 11/30/2010, 05:26 PM   #2
whitsingleslamer
JDM Soldier

Default Re: audio suggestions

Alpine headunit, and jbl 6.5 is wat i had in my old civic and loved it for highs atleast...

Old 11/30/2010, 09:38 PM   #3
98eksliver
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Im looking to upgrade the speakers and headunit in my civic over the winter. Im have become really peticular about how music sounds. I like my highs sounding crisp and clear, and my bass up. Im not a fan of using a subs in a civic. But what is a good brand that has great sound and quality? Speakers and headunits
By far to start check into the Kenwood Excelon line headunits. It might be a little more but the eq in that line is well worth the money, and the newer models have the cabin option and the ability to run DTA (delayed time audio).

As for speakers definitely run a nice 6 x 9 in the rear. For the best bass out put your are going to wanna go with something like a 2 or 3-way. As for brands there is JL, Kenwood, Polk Audio, and a couple others that have the better cone material and with the better motor system.

For the fronts you will be much better off with a component speaker rather than a two way speaker. Using the component system you will be able to filter the audio and have a cleaner sound. With that being said a good but reasonably priced component speaker is the Excelon 5.25, but that is partially because i had used that system for the past three years. (spent only 100 at ford and garland)

Hope that helps

Old 11/30/2010, 10:50 PM   #4
onebad636
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I would recommend going with DLS components for the front if money is of no concern. The guys at Elemental Designs in Newton sell DLS products and they are TOP NOTCH!

Check these out, I have been searching and searching for a standard 6.5 that will fit the fronts of my EM1 and these are perfect I do NOT recommend 5.75s for the fronts at all...I ran a set of JL 5.75s up front and was not impressed the least bit.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=517

If you are in the market for fronts and rears, I would HIGHLY recommend Elemental's e9.65i for the rear deck.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=617

I have never had a speaker hit that clean! I am running those in the rear deck, and have decided to ditch the sub (Elemental 11.Ov2), as they sound incredible. I have 3 pairs of these and would be willing to get rid of a set if you're interested...I live in Newton as well if you decide to come pick up a pair of those DLS'

If you decide to go this route, I would highly recommend going with their 4 channel amp as well. I am running 150 watts to each speaker and they LOVE it...as do I!
Here is a pic of when they installed a system in my S2k....this says it all!
http://www.edesignaudio.com/installs...icles/1215.jpg

Hope this helped

Old 01/06/2011, 08:17 PM   #5
98eksliver
JDM Soldier

Have never ran DLS or elemental designs before but have heard rave reviews for them

Old 01/07/2011, 01:42 PM   #6
alexbuck205
JDM Knight

Digital designs holds the record for top eq quality speakers and they are very affordable. I'm a DD dealer if your interested

92 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 410awhp
05 CBR 1000RR REPSOL
07 Acura TL-S
Old 01/23/2011, 12:58 AM   #7
onebad636
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98eksliver View Post
Have never ran DLS or elemental designs before but have heard rave reviews for them
they're LEGIT

Old 02/23/2011, 12:19 AM   #8
onebad636
JDM Soldier

end up picking something up?