JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Manufacturer Forum > Honda/Acura Forum > Acura RSX/EP3/K-series

Old 12/26/2011, 11:47 PM   #1
intRSX03

Default 03 DC5 Base cat problems

Been Having a po420 cat code coming up since I drove my car off the lot, yes its a base but it seems really hesitant and I cant ever hear the vtec engage....is my cat partially plugged by chance??? Ive heard some people say on clubrsx you cant hear vtec engage no matter what. (not sure if they are just dogging on the base model or what) Any help would be great. Thanks crew!

Old 12/27/2011, 05:39 AM   #2
crxh22honda
JDM King

Default Re: 03 DC5 Base cat problems

They have a like 2 stage vtec.if ur really watching for it you u can see n hear the second part. It doesnt really kick hard. Its something with that i-vtec.also it only has 140hp. At the flywheel. If you ever been in a single vtec car. (That's not extremely built I'm just say that the single vtec lovers) they just make alot of noise n don't give it a big kick. But in my friends base model. Its really weak to but u can tell its there. In my moms civic si 07 tho. You can feel both. N the second one is smooth n louder an it starts to pull pretty good(for stock). But if your cat is clogged your waste "alot" of power. This is all in my experience. I can't say I know to much about k series to know the knowledge behind the i-vtec

Old 12/27/2011, 11:40 AM   #3
LowNsloEJ6
1SickUA7

Thats a catalyst insufficient flow code. Usually means ur cat is shot and its time to replace it.

08 TL-S
97 EJ6 D16Z6
98 EJ6 4Dr D16Y7 project 300,000
Old 01/12/2012, 04:00 PM   #4
intRSX03

I figured the cat was shot/starting to plug up. My next question is: Since OEM cats are extremely expensive, where would you reccomend to buy a good aftermarket cat, or just cut it off??

Old 01/13/2012, 09:14 AM   #5
crxh22honda
JDM King

I don't like eBay. But for this in your case. I would check it out. High flow or test pipe. You just have be able to really know what ur looking for n make sure its the right one for your car. But I'm not sure if you o2 is before your after the cat. N if ur not looking to do some extra work like tuning. A high flow cat or test pipe is not what ur looking for. An don't forget don't throw your old cat away! Give it to me!

An don't give it to anyone else for free