JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Miscellaneous Forum > Video Section

Old 03/18/2012, 10:50 PM   #1
rex712
JDM Knight

Default a couple vids i did

so im starting to really get into video editing and just did these for fun please let me know what you guys think and PLEASE WATCH IN 1080P FOR WAY BETTER QUALITY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwQCA...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0-05...eature=related

Old 03/18/2012, 10:52 PM   #2
rex712
JDM Knight

Default Re: a couple vids i did

please like them on youtube

Old 03/19/2012, 05:26 AM   #3
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Not trying to sound like I'm bashing or anything, just throwing in some advice for making better videos. I like what you're going for, and for just starting off it's not that bad. Main thing you'll want to fix is keep the clips a lot shorter. The clips while washing the cars are WAAAAAYYYYY to long. In the begining of the is300 video the focus in took a little too long, then the car sat for too long before moving, following that you'll want to avoid the "stop and go" clips like the one that followed where you were shooting the passenger side wheel. Another thing you'll want to avoid doing is small "jerks" with the camera when rotating it. The IS300 is in the parking garage and while turning the corner you follow the car with the camera and it's not a smooth motion. Things you might want to add and look into doing is changing how you do your intro. One thing that really helps is not even starting with the car, then follow it up with shots of bits and pieces of the car, slowly gracing over a single tailight, mirror, dash, steering wheel, shifter, badges, wing ect. You had the right idea in the IS video when you showed the dash light up. Clips like that help add some drama to the beginning making viewers want to see the car and it helps catch their attention. The unfocused shot with the fogs coming on is always a good one to do, it'll take a while to start getting that down so it's perfect. Another quick tip for you, when shooting a garage door opening, never show the entire thing, start it with the garage already opening and have the clip end right about the time you can see half the windshield. As for closing same sort of concept except have it where the camera is level with the ground and start it with the garage already nearing fully closed.

Again, not trying to bash or anything of that sort. Looks like you got yourself a nice camera for doing vids. Just trying to help you out with progressing towards making ones that will get you some fame and glory.

You might consider investing in a GoPro, I've got one that I use way too much. It was worth every penny I spent on it. You'll be amazed with all the crazy shots you can get, plus with the protective casing they come with you'll never have to worry about getting it filthy.

As far as editing goes, slow motion is your best friend. Also try using some filters. You can do this by either getting a lens filter for your camera or using a filter effect on the editing software. Reason for saying this is it can turn a normal shot into a work of art. Here is just a basic example of some filter effects that top gear uses. First clip is without a filter and then the following ones are different filtered effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDxDsPGH8U8

If you haven't heard of Format67.net you should take a look at some of their videos. They have em up on both Vimeo and Youtube. Here is their NSX one which is my all time fave. Now the guys who make these videos are actually movie directors and producers so they've got a bit more experience, equipment, and money to spend. Plus being professionals they mean business when making a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53c6o_cNPEo

Last edited by Dj Technick; 03/19/2012 at 05:40 AM.

Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)
Old 03/19/2012, 08:10 AM   #4
rex712
JDM Knight

wow thanks for all the great input and no problem your more than welcome to point out any negatives because that is the only way to improve and i am going to invest in a gopro casue one camera is not enough. But it was a little hard trying to be precise with the camera guy and driver but it was all made in a couple of hours but i should take my time on it if i want a good video."One thing that really helps is not even starting with the car, then follow it up with shots of bits and pieces of the car, slowly gracing over a single tailight, mirror, dash, steering wheel, shifter, badges, wing ect. You had the right idea in the IS video when you showed the dash light up. Clips like that help add some drama to the beginning making viewers want to see the car" i do like this idea starting off with just teasers thank you really appreciate it.

Last edited by rex712; 03/19/2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03/19/2012, 07:45 PM   #5
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

No problem, you show some potential. Would like to see what you can do

Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)