JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Manufacturer Forum > Nissan Forum

Old 01/22/2013, 06:50 PM   #1
bean_bean
JDM Knight

Default 1986 300zx build

Ight this summer I wanna build my z I want the rb20dett motor built what kind of proformance parts would I need to make this happen and would a rb just fit right in or do I need to make some mods for it I was thinking on having it twin turbo pushing 25 pounds on each how strong would I need to make the motor hold that much boost or should I go smaller or bigger this is gunna be a big buildx and I would like any imput good and bad on this before I start but no bashing on each other about there ideas everyone hasz a saying in this

turbo bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01/22/2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Default Re: 1986 300zx build

Why would you even waste your time with such a junk motor. RB20? You must hate your car or something. Do an RB25 if youre gonna go rb. Do a jz motor if you want something cool.

Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)
Old 01/22/2013, 08:09 PM   #3
The Laser
JDM King

Or do a VG30DETT swap. Doin any inline swap in a chassis that's built for a v6 is just going to be extra work on your end. If you want to be truly unique, drop in a CA18DET. It's what helped make the RB motor and has more aftermarket parts readily available, not-to-mention cheaper.

EDIT: just re-read and saw you said you want to twin turbo the motor pushing both turbos to 25 psi EACH. Are you high? Most drag cars won't push that much (50 psi) and even if they did, they have enough money in the motor to buy a house in Cali. Unless you're ready to drop that kind of money on a motor with damn near no aftermarket support available just for the sake of being unique, have at it. Otherwise, ditch the motor for something with a good support following. If you want to stay RB, go 25 or 26, but be ready to drop $2k easily on just a set of cams.

Last edited by The Laser; 01/22/2013 at 08:15 PM.

"does this have V-tec? i bet it has V-tec"
"V-tec is for fags. This has boost"
Old 01/22/2013, 10:52 PM   #4
bean_bean
JDM Knight

I forgot about the vg30dett and the 25 pounds each was just something that I always wanted but if it not a safe point with out dropping a crap ton of money then I won't I just want a good set of boost and enought power to make it go what's the ca18det?? Never hurd of it the only motors I hurd of is the vg sr and the rb I want to put a ford 9in rear end in it or a different rear end that will not fall aprt on me after a run or so I want it to last a while

Old 01/23/2013, 02:12 AM   #5
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Dont do a ca18 those too are shit. Not even the drifters run those much. Its the 4 cylinder that came in the 180sx. Did I mention it was a rediculously heavy iron block? Also dont do twins, do a single turbo setup, twins are gay and retarded. Also dont do the v6 swap, there is a reason why people rip them out of the z32 and thow in 2j's. Seriously do a jz swap, there might even be a swap kit out there for them. Be careful with the RB if you do go that route because it'll require crazy fab work on the cross member, you'll also need to build a trans since the RB trans doesnt like crazy big power.

Old 01/23/2013, 02:16 AM   #6
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

One last thing, dont worry about fitment issues. An inline 6 will fit.

Old 01/23/2013, 07:45 AM   #7
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

This could be you. It would be awesome!

Old 01/23/2013, 08:47 AM   #8
The Laser
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Technick View Post
Dont do a ca18 those too are shit. Not even the drifters run those much. Its the 4 cylinder that came in the 180sx. Did I mention it was a rediculously heavy iron block? Also dont do twins, do a single turbo setup, twins are gay and retarded. Also dont do the v6 swap, there is a reason why people rip them out of the z32 and thow in 2j's. Seriously do a jz swap, there might even be a swap kit out there for them. Be careful with the RB if you do go that route because it'll require crazy fab work on the cross member, you'll also need to build a trans since the RB trans doesnt like crazy big power.
They also came in the JDM 200sx S12

"does this have V-tec? i bet it has V-tec"
"V-tec is for fags. This has boost"
Old 01/24/2013, 10:02 PM   #9
bean_bean
JDM Knight

that pic looks sick i was thinking doing a vg30dett fully built how much hp do u get out of it and i was thinking about dropping a v8 but im not really sure about it

Old 01/25/2013, 07:43 AM   #10
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean_bean View Post
that pic looks sick i was thinking doing a vg30dett fully built how much hp do u get out of it and i was thinking about dropping a v8 but im not really sure about it
Orrr, just hear me out here, you could do a 2jz swap in it. Completely stock internals with a multi layer metal headgasket and single turbo setup will make 600whp. Its the cheapest and easiest way to make big power. Plus the swap will be far more simple then a vg30 swap and far more less expensive.

I'm not gonna suggest anything else on here, you're a big boy so I'm sure you can make a decision on your own. Just trying to help you out with some advise.

Old 01/27/2013, 11:55 AM   #11
mr.carr
drift_kid_s13

1j/2j is your best bet for bang for buck, cause both of those take mods better than most v8s. plus torque is not always your friend. you can use the L28et i know i will get tons of shit for it but those motors are tough and can be found cheap. so be realistic.

Google Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dahm
These things all clamp down like a sex sandwich.
Old 01/27/2013, 12:44 PM   #12
86nissanZ
JDM Lover

Honesty for the money you get more hp/dollar if you stick with the vg30 thats in there. Start with a turbo swap. There is a big difference going from NA to Turbo. There is a ton of info on doing the swap. There are tons of people selling parts over on z31performance.
When i get my bigger turbo setup finished this spring, ill give you a ride and see what you think.
People don't give the vg30et enough credit. If your wanting something around 300 to 400 rwhp its perfect.

If you ever need some parts or any help lmk, I got tons of parts laying around.

Heres a shot of whats to come for my car.

Shiro Special #998
Old 01/29/2013, 04:27 PM   #13
99eclipse
JDM King

Screw all that other shit throw a 4g63t in it!

Old 02/07/2013, 12:43 AM   #14
bean_bean
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86nissanZ View Post
Honesty for the money you get more hp/dollar if you stick with the vg30 thats in there. Start with a turbo swap. There is a big difference going from NA to Turbo. There is a ton of info on doing the swap. There are tons of people selling parts over on z31performance.
When i get my bigger turbo setup finished this spring, ill give you a ride and see what you think.
People don't give the vg30et enough credit. If your wanting something around 300 to 400 rwhp its perfect.

If you ever need some parts or any help lmk, I got tons of parts laying around.

Heres a shot of whats to come for my car.

that is sick yea man and yea i need a maf before anything cuz that just went out and i wanna do a turbo swap over first and just go from there its gunna be a good build just need the right parts and a good set up but ya man if u could help me out with anything that would be greatly helpful