JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Manufacturer Forum > Toyota Forum

Old 11/06/2012, 06:48 PM   #1
bossmanrandy
JDM Soldier

Default IS300 2JZGTE SWAP

Long story short, I'm interested in doing a 2JZGTE VVTI swap in my 2001 IS300. I've been doing a lot of research about the swap but i'm just curious, is there anyone who knows much about this swap? I'm planning on purchasing the engine and doing all the common things as in changing belts, water pump and etc. Since they only make the is300 automatics in 2001, i'm planning on staying auto and sticking with the twin turbos. I've read about building the GE motor and turboing it but i rather much purchase the GTE since building the motor would cost just as much as the swap and the GTE Motor can handle more stock. Let me know what you guys know!! thanks

Old 11/07/2012, 03:17 PM   #2
newgen
JDM Soldier

Default Re: IS300 2JZGTE SWAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossmanrandy View Post
Long story short, I'm interested in doing a 2JZGTE VVTI swap in my 2001 IS300. I've been doing a lot of research about the swap but i'm just curious, is there anyone who knows much about this swap? I'm planning on purchasing the engine and doing all the common things as in changing belts, water pump and etc. Since they only make the is300 automatics in 2001, i'm planning on staying auto and sticking with the twin turbos. I've read about building the GE motor and turboing it but i rather much purchase the GTE since building the motor would cost just as much as the swap and the GTE Motor can handle more stock. Let me know what you guys know!! thanks
I'd strongly recommend going single turbo right off the bat. You'll save yourself a lot of headache trying to make the stock twins work. You should beable to piece of decent setup together for cheap. I'm guessing you could piece one together from $700-$1000.00. I tried getting the stock twins on my 2jzgte swap to work ended up wasting a lot of time and money.

Also i'd reconsider your engine choice. The vvti 2jzgte engines kinda suck compared to the non vvti engines. Not to mention i've heard the wiring is a huge nightmare on the vvti engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish View Post
"Theologicly" it could just be roll race envy......
1988 Toyota Supra: You don't know!
Old 11/07/2012, 06:11 PM   #3
crxh22honda
JDM King

I dont see the point with a automatic

Old 11/08/2012, 12:27 AM   #4
Tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxh22honda View Post
I dont see the point with a automatic
Drive a built boosted manual car, then automatic, then come back.

Old 11/08/2012, 04:38 AM   #5
crxh22honda
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
i can see how it would build boost faster. but that trans will go to shit way faster, you have less control, and now you would be stuck with just drag racing.

Old 11/08/2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Quote:
i can see how it would build boost faster. but that trans will go to shit way faster, you have less control, and now you would be stuck with just drag racing.
2jz with auto trans murder on the manual trans cars. Way faster, shift faster, no loss of boost between gears, just constant pull where the manuals you have that lag between shifts. Of course you can always set up flat foot shifting but still the auto trans still dominates.

Also i agree strongly with Matt, do a single turbo setup, and don't waste your time or even bother with the vvti unless you're a wiring expert/god.

Damn that's a good lookin' pixel car ;)
Old 11/08/2012, 09:17 AM   #7
crxh22honda
JDM King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Technick View Post
2jz with auto trans murder on the manual trans cars. Way faster, shift faster, no loss of boost between gears, just constant pull where the manuals you have that lag between shifts. Of course you can always set up flat foot shifting but still the auto trans still dominates.

Also i agree strongly with Matt, do a single turbo setup, and don't waste your time or even bother with the vvti unless you're a wiring expert/god.

Ok? Like i said you would be stuck with just drag racing. I dont know why your telling me it shifts fast and that bs. You know i know this. I still dont see the point.

Last edited by crxh22honda; 11/08/2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11/08/2012, 02:04 PM   #8
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Quote:
Ok? Like i said you would be stuck with just drag racing. I dont know why your telling me it shifts fast and that bs. You know i know this. I still dont see the point.
That's the whole point of auto trans is to have a fast drag car.

I can see why he want's to keep auto once you start to look at the cost factor, getting a V160 is an outrageous price, even doing an R154 gets rather expensive. It would be a really cheap and an easy thing to do if he just keeps his auto trans that he already has in the car.

Old 11/09/2012, 02:32 PM   #9
newgen
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Been there on both done both. It depends what you want to do with the cars. If I end up keeping my supra for next year it will be getting an automatic. Th350 full manual valve body and a stall converter. It's crazy how much faster from a dig automatic boosted cars are.

Quote:
Old 11/09/2012, 02:32 PM   #10
newgen
JDM Soldier

Quote:
That's the whole point of auto trans is to have a fast drag car.

I can see why he want's to keep auto once you start to look at the cost factor, getting a V160 is an outrageous price, even doing an R154 gets rather expensive. It would be a really cheap and an easy thing to do if he just keeps his auto trans that he already has in the car.
Couldn't agree more nick.

Quote:
Old 11/18/2012, 02:35 PM   #11
bossmanrandy
JDM Soldier

Almost forgot I made this thread, thanks for all the advice guys, I've heard alot of people say just do the single turbo set up because it'll be much easier. I might consider that now after reading more about it. Reason only reason why I'm staying automatic is because I love this car, just need a little more power. Does it really matter if its a auto or manual?

Old 11/19/2012, 07:59 AM   #12
crxh22honda
JDM King

Quote:
Almost forgot I made this thread, thanks for all the advice guys, I've heard alot of people say just do the single turbo set up because it'll be much easier. I might consider that now after reading more about it. Reason only reason why I'm staying automatic is because I love this car, just need a little more power. Does it really matter if its a auto or manual?
No it doesnt in your case.

Old 11/20/2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Dj Technick
テクニック☆スライド

Quote:
Depends on what you're doing really. In all honesty if I were in your shoes I would keep it auto, it's a lot less work, and will save you a couple thousand dollars. If you were an all out circuit track racer then I would say go manual, but since you're not keep the auto. It'll save you some headaches and a lot of money.

Old 11/21/2012, 12:51 AM   #14
bossmanrandy
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Depends on what you're doing really. In all honesty if I were in your shoes I would keep it auto, it's a lot less work, and will save you a couple thousand dollars. If you were an all out circuit track racer then I would say go manual, but since you're not keep the auto. It'll save you some headaches and a lot of money.
lol i was being a lil sarcastic asking it if it "matter to be auto or manual" but Whats the differen't from VVTI and NON?

Old 11/23/2012, 06:49 AM   #15
newgen
JDM Soldier

Quote:
lol i was being a lil sarcastic asking it if it "matter to be auto or manual" but Whats the differen't from VVTI and NON?
From my understanding and the research ive done. The crank on both engines are the same. The rods on the vvti's i've read aren't forged. Neither piston are forged but supposibly the non vvti pistons are better. There isn't any aftermarket support for vvti heads.

Quote: