JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Manufacturer Forum > Honda/Acura Forum > Acura Integra/ITR

Old 09/14/2013, 10:56 AM   #1
4DRLX
JDM Knight

Default GSR valve seal replacement Q's

96' Gsr burns oil in vtec. leads me to believe its the valve seals.

I have a couple questions, what else should i go ahead and replace in the head while im doing that. ideally i would just rebuild the entire head but i dont have the cash for that. So im mainly looking for answers about what i NEED to replace along side the seals.

2nd question, if there is anything else would it be a good idea to get upgraded/ aftermarket parts to "future proof" a potential build. (thinking boost here)

lmk guys really loving this car and want to keep it for alooong time and build it right over the years.

Old 09/16/2013, 12:03 AM   #2
H22APWRD94
The Tranny Guy

Default Re: GSR valve seal replacement Q's

Since you will have to completely diassemble the valve/valvespring assembly to do this, your best upgrade would be to replace your springs and retainers when you are in doing the work. Roughly $300 for a set of quality springs/retainers. I personally would also make the switch to a beehive spring style LMA while you have the head apart. Either the newer Prelude design with a shim, or the Skunk2 product is also a cheap, viable, alternative.

Old 09/19/2013, 12:00 AM   #3
4DRLX
JDM Knight

Default Re: GSR valve seal replacement Q's

Thanks for the suggestion, i want to fully build the motor at some point but i hate to just buy valve seals in hopes of it curing my issue only to have it continue.

unfortunately for me i probably wont be able to start that project until next winter. and on the flip side i hate to drive the car for that long continuing to burn oil.

any suggestion from one broke honda lover to another?

replace whats necessary? or leave it until a full tear down is in order.

I want to fully build the block and head for high compression NA next winter (2014)