JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Tuning

Old 07/16/2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Tneuhaus
JDM Lover

Default 2001 honda civic code p1298??

i have a 01 honda civic ex and it is throwing a code p1298 anybody kno what that is?

Tanner Neuhaus
Old 07/16/2010, 09:15 PM   #2
JDMxTAi
JDM Soldier

Default Re: 2001 honda civic code p1298??

High Voltage In ELD Circuit
Lean Operation At wide Open Throttle

1996 Honda Civic EX Coupe - Blown & Sold
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD - DD

Old 07/17/2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Tneuhaus
JDM Lover

what do i have to do to get that fixed? sorry if this is a newb question kinda new with imports ha

Tanner Neuhaus
Old 07/17/2010, 10:17 PM   #4
deadmoans
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tneuhaus View Post
what do i have to do to get that fixed? sorry if this is a newb question kinda new with imports ha

Refer to Honda TSB #05-006

The check engine light is on. Trouble code P1298. This code is for the Electric Load Detection (ELD) circuit. The ELD unit is built into the underhood fuse box and works like an electronic Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and monitors current flow so the Engine Control Module (ECM) can control the charging system.

1. Verify that the Black (BLK) wire is ground, the Black/Orange (BLK/ORG) wire has battery voltage and the Green/Red (GRN/RED) wire from the ECM should have 4.5 to 5 volts reference voltage, unplugged.

2. With the connector plugged into the fuse box and the vehicle running, as electrical loads are turned on, the voltage on the GRN/RED wire should drop. Normal voltage is 3 volts no load and 1.5 volts high load. The voltage always stayed at 4.5 volts. The ELD is not changing the voltage, so the ELD is faulty and will need to be replaced.

Cheap, Fast or Reliable, You Can Only Choose Two.
Old 07/18/2010, 04:15 PM   #5
Tneuhaus
JDM Lover

Quote:
Refer to Honda TSB #05-006

The check engine light is on. Trouble code P1298. This code is for the Electric Load Detection (ELD) circuit. The ELD unit is built into the underhood fuse box and works like an electronic Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and monitors current flow so the Engine Control Module (ECM) can control the charging system.

1. Verify that the Black (BLK) wire is ground, the Black/Orange (BLK/ORG) wire has battery voltage and the Green/Red (GRN/RED) wire from the ECM should have 4.5 to 5 volts reference voltage, unplugged.

2. With the connector plugged into the fuse box and the vehicle running, as electrical loads are turned on, the voltage on the GRN/RED wire should drop. Normal voltage is 3 volts no load and 1.5 volts high load. The voltage always stayed at 4.5 volts. The ELD is not changing the voltage, so the ELD is faulty and will need to be replaced.
thanks for the help

Tanner Neuhaus
Old 12/17/2010, 12:25 AM   #6
Brazilx2k

Ques Re: 2001 honda civic code p1298??

I'm having the same problem. but i already changed that part and still burning alternators. it is reading -6.22 volts and when i rev it or not stays the same. i changed the ecm thought was it but nothing. alternator is brand new. any ideas?

Old 12/18/2010, 08:46 AM   #7
deadmoans
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazilx2k View Post
I'm having the same problem. but i already changed that part and still burning alternators. it is reading -6.22 volts and when i rev it or not stays the same. i changed the ecm thought was it but nothing. alternator is brand new. any ideas?
yes.....and your not going to like it.......OEM ALTERNATOR. It could also be in the wiring.

We had an RSX that we put on 3 reman alternators, they charged but the battery light would not go out, finally got a used one from the junkyard and presto magico IT WORKED.

And if you have ever changed an alternator in an RSX you know what kind of pain in the ass it is, makes the DA integra look like a cake walk. It literally takes almost two hours.

Cheap, Fast or Reliable, You Can Only Choose Two.