JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Technical Forum > Tuning

Old 10/27/2010, 08:33 AM   #1
KeoTuner
JDM Soldier

Default tuning help

I have a 2000 civic with i p28 chipped with a hondata s200. now my fuel air ratio is a lttle steep and is to the point the injectors are almost flooding the engine. can anyone help me with this problem.

can i get a piggyback (VAFC or A'Pexi) and retune it? or is there a way i can tune the hondata s200?

Old 10/27/2010, 08:47 AM   #2
deadmoans
JDM Knight

Default Re: tuning help

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeoTuner View Post
I have a 2000 civic with i p28 chipped with a hondata s200. now my fuel air ratio is a lttle steep and is to the point the injectors are almost flooding the engine. can anyone help me with this problem.

can i get a piggyback (VAFC or A'Pexi) and retune it? or is there a way i can tune the hondata s200?
we can tune S200 but it's not the easiest to do. recommend upgrading to S300...WAY BETTER!!! I think there's a place that will actually give you a credit for the S200 when you upgrade to the S300, but I'll have to verify that.

The other option is to just eliminate the S200 and tune it on crome.

We charge $90 an hour to dyno tune and that price is good at least until the end of the year.

Cheap, Fast or Reliable, You Can Only Choose Two.
Old 10/27/2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Mishimoto
JDM Lover

Are you asking how to do this yourself?

You should have the ability to plug a Laptop into the S200 via serial port, correct?

If you have the extra money go for a S300 system. Best investment I have made so far on my Civic build!

Old 10/27/2010, 11:44 AM   #4
deadmoans
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Are you asking how to do this yourself?

You should have the ability to plug a Laptop into the S200 via serial port, correct?

If you have the extra money go for a S300 system. Best investment I have made so far on my Civic build!
Yea, if your doing it yourself, you better have some experience tuning and especially when dealing with the S200.

Actually, now that you mention it, I think the S200 takes special cabling to hook up. And the cable alone is like $85-$100 if you can find it.

Old 10/27/2010, 01:02 PM   #5
KeoTuner
JDM Soldier

what about getting a piggyback.

Old 10/27/2010, 04:31 PM   #6
deadmoans
JDM Knight

Quote:
what about getting a piggyback.
piggyback, smiggyback! do it right

Old 10/28/2010, 10:54 AM   #7
Rosko
JDM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmoans View Post
we can tune S200 but it's not the easiest to do. recommend upgrading to S300...WAY BETTER!!! I think there's a place that will actually give you a credit for the S200 when you upgrade to the S300, but I'll have to verify that.

The other option is to just eliminate the S200 and tune it on crome.

We charge $90 an hour to dyno tune and that price is good at least until the end of the year.

Hondata gives you a bit of a break when upgrading...

http://www.hondata.com/v3upgrades.html

www.roskoracing.com
1992 Honda Prelude 12.74@111.8 N/A
Old 10/31/2010, 08:00 PM   #8
mr.carr
drift_kid_s13

Quote:
why piggy back engine managements suck

I got tired of typing this repeatedly on discussion boards, so I decided to add it here.

If you don't know what a Piggy Back controller is, read about it first.

Piggy Back controllers allow stock ECUs to do things that they normally can't do, like run larger injectors or deal with boost. Remember that piggyback controllers work by altering sensor signals before they get to the ECU.

Most of the time, the primary signal being messed with is the Map Sensor. This is critically important in a Speed Density car. The Map Sensor is used by the ECU to guess how much air is going into the car, and therefore how much fuel to supply in order to match airflow. When you "lean" out a car with an AFC, you are simply decreasing the Map Sensor signal - the ECU responds to the decrease in manifold pressure by supplying less fuel. When you "richen" a car with an AFC, you are simply increasing the Map Sensor signal - the ECU responds to the increase in manifold pressure by supplying less fuel.

The change in fueling happens for a reason: if you look at a fuel table, Map Sensor values correspond with columns. When you increase or decrease the signal from the Map Sensor, you are simply making the ECU use a different column than it originally would have used. (see Understanding Maps if you need some help understanding reading Fuel and Ign tables)

But wait, isn't the Map Sensor used for determining ignition requirements too? When you "lean" out a car with a Piggy Back, you also in all likelyhood advanced timing. When you "richen" a car with a Piggy Back, you also in all likelyhood retarded timing. Look at trends horizontally (as MAP changes) in an ignition table, and you will see why this happens. This helps explain why so many boosted cars running on the "AFC hack" have issues due to excessive ignition advance.

The bottom line: Piggy Back Controllers suck because you cannot independently adjust fuel and ignition. Any changes to fueling will produce a change in ignition too, and often this is undesirable.

Google Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dahm
These things all clamp down like a sex sandwich.
Old 11/03/2010, 11:57 AM   #9
KeoTuner
JDM Soldier

thanks for the information. now who wants to tune my engine?

Old 11/04/2010, 03:00 AM   #10
Lee_MA61
JDM Soldier

Piggy backs do suck in the regards which were above posted. You are constantly fighting the factory ecu and tends to be more of a headache then it's worth. However with that being said FMUs/piggy backs/etc can be very useful on slight to moderate upgrades in boost pressure/injectors/compression/etc. Where a standalone isn't required or the best option. Just as long as you know what you are doing and take your time. Everything will turn out fine. You need at least a wideband, but I would recommend tuning with someone who has access to more equipment. IE. knock ears(or other measuring device), EGT, scanner for OBD cars.

Good luck with the tune, I'm sure there are a few good people on here that know what they are doing. I don't mess with Honda style(Hondata, ostrich , etc) tuning otherwise I'd offer to help you more.

Last edited by Lee_MA61; 11/04/2010 at 03:04 AM.

-1984 Toyota, Celica Supra P-Type Super Red (2JZ-GTE + 74mm)
-1985 Toyota, Celica Supra P-Type Super Silver (no engine...)
Old 11/05/2010, 04:42 PM   #11
deadmoans
JDM Knight

Quote:
thanks for the information. now who wants to tune my engine?

Give us a call, we have a dyno and charge $90 an hour to tune. That price is good until the end of the year.

Old 11/07/2010, 11:01 AM   #12
KeoTuner
JDM Soldier

pm me a number

Old 11/07/2010, 05:49 PM   #13
zippakilla
JDM Knight

It's because the guy you bought the car off of took off the Fuel pressure regulator that was on there when it was tuned thank him.

Old 11/07/2010, 08:39 PM   #14
KeoTuner
JDM Soldier

yah he was taken care of. filed for false advertisement and won! now im going to court for the guy who started body work then his garage cought fire and had no insurence.