JDMCITY.COM
Advertise with us!

Go Back   JDMCITY.COM > Manufacturer Forum > Subaru Forum

Old 11/09/2011, 06:28 PM   #1
crvtec54
JDM Knight

Default timing belt replacement

So ive been doing my timing belt, water pump, and idler pulleys today.. everything is together except for the belt guide on the passenger side exhaust cam. its bent up and consequently junk. however, the others are installed. is it vital to have it on there or can i run without it and without issue? i have no idea where id get one anyway... unless someone has one laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvO-X View Post
guess us americans just love our firebirds with the whip cb antennas and the crager torque thrusts...yeehaw! stars and bars!
http://i.imgur.com/72jrv8J.gif
Old 11/09/2011, 07:21 PM   #2
ConHuevos!
MEXICAN

Default Re: timing belt replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by crvtec54 View Post
So ive been doing my timing belt, water pump, and idler pulleys today.. everything is together except for the belt guide on the passenger side exhaust cam. its bent up and consequently junk. however, the others are installed. is it vital to have it on there or can i run without it and without issue? i have no idea where id get one anyway... unless someone has one laying around.
i would try to find one at the dealership, i would definetly put a belt guide back on... because i'm paranoid. better safe than sorry.

Desire is like a carousel. Once you have acheived what was desired, you are left back in the same spot you were in before you had the desire.

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
Old 11/10/2011, 08:44 PM   #3
deadmoans
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConHuevos! View Post
i would try to find one at the dealership, i would definetly put a belt guide back on... because i'm paranoid. better safe than sorry.
really? this is open to discussion or considered optional on an interference engine?

i'm sure subaru didn't think it was important, they probably just had some parts lying around and decided to use them up.

Cheap, Fast or Reliable, You Can Only Choose Two.
Old 11/10/2011, 09:45 PM   #4
crvtec54
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmoans View Post
really? this is open to discussion or considered optional on an interference engine?

i'm sure subaru didn't think it was important, they probably just had some parts lying around and decided to use them up.
obviously the guides are not meant to touch the belt. whats there purpose then?

Quote:
guess us americans just love our firebirds with the whip cb antennas and the crager torque thrusts...yeehaw! stars and bars!
Old 11/11/2011, 08:11 AM   #5
ConHuevos!
MEXICAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by crvtec54 View Post
obviously the guides are not meant to touch the belt. whats there purpose then?
i would think the same but there has to be a reason for them to be on if subaru put them on from factory.

Desire is like a carousel. Once you have acheived what was desired, you are left back in the same spot you were in before you had the desire.

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
Old 11/11/2011, 10:43 AM   #6
crvtec54
JDM Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConHuevos! View Post
i would think the same but there has to be a reason for them to be on if subaru put them on from factory.
i managed to bend the old one back enough to make spec clearance..

the only thing that i could think of is that maybe over time as the belt stretches, the guides keep it from jumping time if the belt gets loose that way you dont bend valves?? but by that time, you probably wont catch it in time to save it before one of those guides chews the belt up and it snaps anyway...lol just a theory.

Quote:
Old 11/14/2011, 04:02 PM   #7
ConHuevos!
MEXICAN

just brought this back because i just finished my timing belt. wasn't too bad actually. all is fine and dandy

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar